Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: The Drum Rudiments Thread

User Info Menu

Default Re: The Drum Rudiments Thread

Quote Originally Posted by jgraham798 View Post
    Rock and Roll is my favorite style of music.

So, do the rudiments not get used in that type of music?

I watch all types of videos and don't really see the paradiddles....I see the different rolls and some flams.

I would say yes and no....can you get by in rock and roll without knowing the rudiments.....yes...would it help you to know them....yes

There are a few songs I can think of, off the top of my head, that specifically use paradiddles.

Peggy Sue by Buddy Holly

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku5UeUT7yIQ"]BUDDY HOLLY - Peggy sue - Vidéo clip - YouTube[/ame]

and Vaseline by STP

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht672-wYelc&ob=av2e"]Stone Temple Pilots - Vasoline (Video) - YouTube[/ame]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jaguar36023 View Post
    One of the strategies that my drum teacher gave me is to play a rudiment on say 100 BPM, play it as 8th notes, and then switch to 16th notes. Then back to 8th notes and back again, etc. That really helped me when I first learned how to play a paraddidle.
    I'm going to try to practice that, but so far, 16ths have not kind something I can do...but I keep trying :-)
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    There are a few songs I can think of, off the top of my head, that specifically use paradiddles.

Peggy Sue by Buddy Holly
    I could see an hear the paradiddle in that song now that I know what I'm looking for.

I still couldn't hear it in the Vaseline song. My ear probably isn't as good as yours right now. Hope fully it will get better the more I play.

I've learned to listen to music in a different way than I did before I started trying to play.
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

I still couldn't hear it in the Vaseline song. My ear probably isn't as good as yours right now. Hope fully it will get better the more I play.

I've learned to listen to music in a different way than I did before I started trying to play.
    The paradiddle on Vaseline is between the bass and snare...it is the rhythm for the song.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    The paradiddle on Vaseline is between the bass and snare...it is the rhythm for the song.
    Ok....I think a light came on in my thick head... :-)

I was under the impression from what I've read on the web that a paradiddle is : RLRR LRLL.

Here's a dumb question but, is this a paradiddle (RLRR) and this another one(LRLL) or does it take both of them together to make 1 paradiddle?

Thanks for your patience!
    Jim
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

Ok....I think a light came on in my thick head... :-)

I was under the impression from what I've read on the web that a paradiddle is : RLRR LRLL.

Here's a dumb question but, is this a paradiddle (RLRR) and this another one(LRLL) or does it take both of them together to make 1 paradiddle?

Thanks for your patience!
    Jim

.....Typically a paradiddle is: RLRR LRLL, but like other rudiments, you can replace with other drums, extremities, etc.....kinda like triplets using the bass drum and RL on the snare / tom or vice versa....still a triplet.

Hope that doesn't confuse you......rudiments are the "rules" and then you modify them as you see fit.

User Info Menu

RLRR is a paradiddle. It gets its name by a sylable for each stroke R (par) L (a) R (did) R (dle)

Double paradiddle R (dou) L (ble) R (par) L (a) R (did) R (dle)
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=longgun;460560Hope that doesn't confuse you......rudiments are the "rules" and then you modify them as you see fit.[/QUOTE]

I think I understand.

Does anyone deliberately think "I'm going to play a paradiddle here" or does it just come from muscle memory? I guess that's what i'm trying to understand.

Don't worry about confusing me, my wife says I've been confused for years!! :-)

Thanks for the info
    Jim
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by signia fan View Post
    RLRR is a paradiddle. It gets its name by a sylable for each stroke R (par) L (a) R (did) R (dle)

Double paradiddle R (dou) L (ble) R (par) L (a) R (did) R (dle)
    That makes sense to me.

That's the way I say them in my head when I'm trying to learn them.

Whew! I am amazed at how difficult it is to learn to play the drums.

Thanks for the reply!
    Jim
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

RLRR LRLL RLRLRR LRLRLL, Para diddles and double para diddles. Paradiddles i think r one of the most important to learn.
    Last edited by clark drummer308; 02-20-2012 at 01:04 PM.

User Info Menu

Not sure if this has been mentioned but here's a sort of hybrid to try:

RLLRRR LRRLLL

RLLRLR LRRLRL
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Not sure if this has been mentioned but here's a sort of hybrid to try:

RLLRRR LRRLLL

RLLRLR LRRLRL
    I love the first one. In the rudiment/marching percussion world they're pretty common, and we call them Shirley Murpheys.

I'm not too sure about the second one. Looks like some kind of inverted double paradiddle.
    Drums:
    Ludwig Classic Maple
    Tama Starclassic Performer

Cymbals:
    20" K ride
    20" K custom dry ride
    16" A custom crash
    14" New Beat hats
    14" K custom dark crash
    Ensembles
    Oregon Crusaders (DCI) 09 - bass 4
    OC Indoor (WGI) '10 - Snare 3rd place PIO
    OC Indoor (WGI) '11 - Snare PIW FINALIST!
    University of Oregon marching band '09 '10 '11 - Snare

User Info Menu

rudiments are foundational for the drummer imo, i rudiments

ive been playing around with inverting the paradiddle rrlr llrl, it sounds awesome played on the hihat and snare mix it up gadd style...

peas
    if you ask a drummer what time it is?!? they're likely to respond with a time signature "oh, it's 4/4"....

User Info Menu

HUH?

DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

Does anyone deliberately think "I'm going to play a paradiddle here" or does it just come from muscle memory? I guess that's what i'm trying to understand.
    Muscle memory...or you feel like starting or ending with some pattern and in goes half or the whole paradiddle or a bunch of strokes that sound just like them-whether they have a name or not. But usually you don't think about it per se except when your learning it and want to try it out on everything!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

practice, play your singles, play your doubles
    if you ask a drummer what time it is?!? they're likely to respond with a time signature "oh, it's 4/4"....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkat View Post
    HUH?

Lol, hey, I feel your pain man, I was like that when I first was introduced to reading. All that is is a seven stroke roll written in rudimental 'shorthand' (LLRRLLR), with each pair of doubles considered as a pair of 1/32nd notes (2X1/32's equal one 1/16th note mathematically). In this case, all rolls are written as 'closed strokes' or could be considered as rebounded doubles, particularly at faster tempos.

How you get it started in the anacrusis (the 'pickup measure that precedes the first downbeat of a bar of music) is that when you count '(2)e+a', the first left hand double (LL) lands on 'e', the right hand double lands on '+', the next left hand double lands on 'a' and finally the last right hand stroke lands on the '1' of the actual start of the rudimental piece. So what you have is LLRRLLR counted as (2)e+a1. Whereas if you had a five stroke roll in the anacrusis, it would be counted as '(2e)+a' with the doubles going RRLLR, once again the last right hand landing on '1' of the first measure. But because that '1/8th-looking' note is dotted, it has the value of three 1/16ths, not two 1/16ths.

See the bar below it? That is a five stroke roll followed by a drag paradiddle no.1* (put another drag in front of that and you'll have a drag paradiddle no.2.) In this case the five stroke roll has at first the right hand double RR on '1', the left hand double on 'e' and the last right hand stroke on '+', thus RRLLR with is being counted as '1e+'. Then, the 'a' of '1e+a' starts the left hand drag of the drag paradiddle, thus ll/RLRR is counted as 'a 2e+a'. (In the following explanation, any accent I'll type in as bold, and any ghost note I'll write in lower case letters). So when you count '1e+', 'a 2e+a' you play 'RRLLR' 'll/RLRR'.

Hope this helps!

*Technically, a drag paradiddle no. 1 is written as R ll/RLRR L rr/LRLL, however the last right hand stroke of the five stroke roll in this case is also the start of the drag paradiddle no.1, a common thing in snare cadences.
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 04-11-2012 at 02:18 PM.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

When practicing with a metronome what is the best bpm to start with?

User Info Menu

Find the speed/time on the metronome that you can play the rudiment accurately and without strain and gradually, daily, increase this, keeping the rudiment accurate all the time. You may find you are straining when you speed up but back off until you're comfortable and accurate. Will not do any good for your technique, muscle memory and muscles to produce unequal rudiments(galloping single strokes, for ex.).
    Hope that helps.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    How you get it started in the anacrusis (the 'pickup measure that precedes the first downbeat of a bar of music) is that when you count '(2)e+a', the first left hand double (LL) lands on 'e', the right hand double lands on '+', the next left hand double lands on 'a' and finally the last right hand stroke lands on the '1' of the actual start of the rudimental piece. So what you have is LLRRLLR counted as (2)e+a1. Whereas if you had a five stroke roll in the anacrusis, it would be counted as '(2e)+a' with the doubles going RRLLR, once again the last right hand landing on '1' of the first measure. But because that '1/8th-looking' note is dotted, it has the value of three 1/16ths, not two 1/16ths.

See the bar below it? That is a five stroke roll followed by a drag paradiddle no.1* (put another drag in front of that and you'll have a drag paradiddle no.2.) In this case the five stroke roll has at first the right hand double RR on '1', the left hand double on 'e' and the last right hand stroke on '+', thus RRLLR with is being counted as '1e+'. Then, the 'a' of '1e+a' starts the left hand drag of the drag paradiddle, thus ll/RLRR is counted as 'a 2e+a'. (In the following explanation, any accent I'll type in as bold, and any ghost note I'll write in lower case letters). So when you count '1e+', 'a 2e+a' you play 'RRLLR' 'll/RLRR'.

User Info Menu

Thank you

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Thanks man. Mind you, I do spend as chunk of time explaining stuff like that to students within my lessons, so it was just natural to explain it that way really. It's just what I do, and keep on working at it.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

This is an awsome tread.. For the past two month or so I've been messin more with rudiments & a metronome more than I ever have.
    I got this cool little thing I have been doing.
    Pick any rudiment we'll use a paradiddle-diddle produce good clean sound at 100bpm for 3min. then at 90bpm for 3min, 110bpm for 3, 80bpm for 3, 120bpm for 3, fast slow faster slower, etc. They take more control & discipline at the slower speeds than the faster speeds.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkat View Post
    HUH?

I was like all "hey yeah, I can play that no problem!", and then I saw that the pickup note is dotted. That caused me to think
    - Zack

User Info Menu

This thread is exactly what I have been searching for.