Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: The Drum Rudiments Thread

User Info Menu

Default Re: The Drum Rudiments Thread

when playing, say, a paradiddle as a fill, is there a set way to start, maybe with a single right, double left etc? and whether this is or isn't the case, do you mentally count as to which hand you finish on or is it just muscle memory? Hope this makes sense.

User Info Menu

Watch this video from the 9:00 min mark onwards. Parts two and three are also on Youtube. I've got this on VHS video tape, that's how long I've been watching this stuff, lol. Can't go wrong learning from one of the masters.

"...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

This may sound funny to some but i cant read music im interested in learning i play by ear anything i listen to i can duplicate or just play it my own way these rudiment tabs may as well be in arabic. How is a good way to learn? or should i bother learning i can tell when someone is playing music of a sheet it sounds very robotic to me i worry that this could happen to my music as sloppy as it could sound sometimes,sometimes i impress myself

User Info Menu

No offense intended Goya, but please don't let that become an excuse. Should you learn to read? Eventually, yes. But robotic? Nothing to worry about there. The drummers I consider to be the kings of feel all can read music. All of them.

This thread is about rudimental drumming. I believe this study is critical to growing as a player. Everything ever played on a drum kit is fundamentally based on these rudiments. Mastery of these rudiments gives you the freedom to play everything you hear in your head. This is no different than a melodic instrumentalist learning scales. Is it tedious? Certainly, but it is the foundation upon which creative freedom in music is built.

In short, find a teacher or at least a studied percussionist to drum with and I promise you will grow significantly as a player if you stick with it beyond the initial tedium.

User Info Menu

i need these rudiments learned so i can play drum set. can anyone teach me?

User Info Menu

Yes, but not here. You need a live teacher. Youtube vids would be a passable second choice but you need a live human to correct your mistakes. Six months of good instruction can give you an excellent start.
    Life's too short to play the same solo twice. Improvise!

User Info Menu

^ what he said. By the way, I put my students through both reading exercises and by ear. I'm a firm believer that a good musician and student of music should have a balance of those abilities. I don't dispute that there are great musicians that can play without the aid of notation....hey, one of my favourite all-around guitarists, for example, Steve Howe from Yes....no way can he read or at least sight read music! However, I'm very glad that I did take up reading as well as transcribing drum notation....to start with, I would not have passed my Diploma Of Music, and secondly, with schools that I've taught at, past and present, the job opportunities would not have cropped up if I said I couldn't read.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ettsn View Post
    No offense intended Goya, but please don't let that become an excuse. Should you learn to read? Eventually, yes. But robotic? Nothing to worry about there. The drummers I consider to be the kings of feel all can read music. All of them.

This thread is about rudimental drumming. I believe this study is critical to growing as a player. Everything ever played on a drum kit is fundamentally based on these rudiments. Mastery of these rudiments gives you the freedom to play everything you hear in your head. This is no different than a melodic instrumentalist learning scales. Is it tedious? Certainly, but it is the foundation upon which creative freedom in music is built.

In short, find a teacher or at least a studied percussionist to drum with and I promise you will grow significantly as a player if you stick with it beyond the initial tedium.
    Yes this is correct !
    I learned all of the rudiments when I first started playing the drums. When I was in my first rock and roll band (1964) other drummers would marvel at how well I played. I was 14 years old.

All of the stuff I heard in my head and I wanted to play, I was able to play because I had learned the rudiments.

User Info Menu

Some Great stuff on the thread!

User Info Menu

So, it's ok just to practice rudiments (or "stick control for snare drummer" exercise) for 1/2 to 1 hour a day over a practice pad? Should i go to all the pages from "stick control" book before actually buying a kit?
    I mean to do that till i can afford a drumset or maybe an electronic kit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by granito_man View Post
    So, it's ok just to practice rudiments (or "stick control for snare drummer" exercise) for 1/2 to 1 hour a day over a practice pad? Should i go to all the pages from "stick control" book before actually buying a kit?
    I mean to do that till i can afford a drumset or maybe an electronic kit.
    Absolutely! You don't even really need a practice pad. You can also take a pillow, fold it to create a little tension, hold it between your knees. Helps develop the wrists.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1E&Ah2E View Post
    Pick any rudiment we'll use a paradiddle-diddle produce good clean sound at 100bpm for 3min. then at 90bpm for 3min, 110bpm for 3, 80bpm for 3, 120bpm for 3, fast slow faster slower, etc. They take more control & discipline at the slower speeds than the faster speeds.
    Regarding this I was wondering what notes you're playing: 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 etc

Maybe in this thread or another, I saw mention of setting the metronome at 60 (or whatever you can comfortably do 1/32 notes at) and starting with 1/4 for a few bars. Then move on to 1/8, triplets, 1/16, quintuplet, sextuplet, septuplet, 1/32 and then reverse back through, down to 1/4 again.

Since I don't have a variable metronome at the moment this saves me the trouble of adjusting the one I have. Developing the feel of the quin and seps is a nice bonus too.

Meanwhile, this is my first post here. I drummed in an originals band 10 or so years ago without knowing anything and have now (this week) just picked up and e-kit to get back in the swing. I'm looking forward to learning how this instrument works.

User Info Menu

I'm working on Single and Double Strokes.
    What I'm not get is how to hit just from the wrist, it looks so easy but I don't know how to do.
    And what about the technique for playing this on the kit, if you are a open handed player?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skills View Post
    I'm working on Single and Double Strokes.
    What I'm not get is how to hit just from the wrist, it looks so easy but I don't know how to do.
    And what about the technique for playing this on the kit, if you are a open handed player?
    Not sure if this is what you're after or if it will help you, but I find Bill's lesson helpful.

Last edited by EyePea; 10-27-2014 at 09:38 AM. Reason: typo

Acoustic & Electronic:
    Pearl Prestige World Series WLX 1988
    Tama Swingstar 1983
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch) 2007
    Ludwig Acrolite Snare 1976
    Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5x14" 2021
    Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum 5.5" and 6.5" Snare
    Pearl COB Custom Deluxe [Gladstone] (75-76) Snare
    Love Drum Co. Hammered Steel 5.5" Snare
    Roland TD-1KV

Paiste
    Accent 8"

Paiste Signature:
    6", 10" Splash
    14" Dark Crisp Hi-Hats
    14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats
    16", 17", 18",19", 20" Full Crash
    22" Symphonic Med-Heavy (use as a Ride)

Paiste Formula 602:
    22" Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride

Paiste 2oo2:
    22" Ride
    16" Crash
    8",10" Splash

Paiste 2oo2 Big Beat:
    15" Hi-Hats
    19", 20", 21" Big Beat Multifunctional

Paiste Sound Formula:
    16" Crash
    20" Full Ride (Frankenstein)

Paiste Twenty:
    16" China

Paiste Alpha (original Swiss made):
    12" Splash

Paiste PST7:
    Medium
    16", 18" Crash
    20" Ride
    14" Hi-Hats

Sabian:
    XS20 18" China
    AA 14" Fusion Hi-Hats

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EyePea View Post
    Not sure if this is what you're after or if it will help you, but I find Bill's lesson helpful.

Hey Eye Pea, I saw a few videos and most was really hard to understand for me, there are a lot of English words I'm not familiar with so I watched german videos but there not many good videos, I tried Keno Hellmanns version on but it is just playing not explaining. :(
    There are different techniques to play this rudiments and I try the how to hit just from the wrist-thing but sometimes it looks like the player nods with the wrists and sometimes... different.

Actually I wanted to get lessons but the only good teacher in my area has no free places and I'm on a waiting list until april or longer. :(
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch (CR):
    20,12,10 + 14x5,5" PDP Maple/Bubinga snare
    Tama hardware
    Remo drumheads
    Paiste cymbals

User Info Menu

Got a new GoPro. Just messing around with a little Paradiddle-diddle at a comfortable speed:

User Info Menu

Rudiments will help you develop the ability to articulate your feel when playing. They are fundamental exercises to try and get your hands into shape to play the drums. To get cooking on the rudiments, get a snare book, start doing them on the snare. Whatever you can do on your snare you can some how apply it to the kit (get creative). At the same time get a drum set series playing book that teach rudiments as applied to the kit. You will be off and running as a drum set player. Playing songs in a band is going to be a lot simpler than banging out rudiments. You don't necessarily need to use rudiments in playing, but they can help you go around the kit easier and make it easier to pull off fills.

User Info Menu

Posting to keep track of this thread - awesome stuff!

I have forgotten most of my rudiments since I graduated high school, which consequently resulted in quitting the drumline.

I really need to sit down and re-learn all of the old rudiments, and definitely learn some new ones. I feel like my mental library is a bit limited these days.
    ALGAROTHSYUM - post-apocalyptic instrumental metal - currently working on third full-length album!
    Bandcamp - Facebook

IRACONJI- Nashville death/thrash metal - drummer
    Facebook

User Info Menu

i am trying to practice the drag but im not sure of the breakdown even though i watched videos. is it 2 grace notes then a primary note or is it a grace note then a flam?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by keish View Post
    i am trying to practice the drag but im not sure of the breakdown even though i watched videos. is it 2 grace notes then a primary note or is it a grace note then a flam?
    Six in one...half dozen. Semantics really. On a drag you more or or less "press" the initial strikes. A flam is tighter (almost a single note but fatter)

all the best...

User Info Menu

So I saw a video by Pat Petrillo on paradiddle work. I started working on it today and after about 15 minutes I could play it through but at about 50 bpm. I made a quick video of where I am after sitting down playing it off and on throughout the day. Last check when I played with the click I could play it roughly 80bpm cleanly. I think this is a little faster than 80. At any rate here is the pattern I'm playing

*key*
    P=paradiddle
    Dp= double paradiddle
    Pdd=paradiddle-diddle

Pattern
    P, p, dp,dp, pdd,pdd,dp,pdd,dp,p,p, pdd (rinse lather and repeat)

Here's just a 15 second vid of me running through one time (maybe 1 and1/2 cause I screwed up)

"Don't let your pride swell....you may have to swallow it one day!"- Unknown

God made Cops so Firefighters could have heroes!

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I'm waaaay past having any major parts of my body exposed. Believe me, it wouldn't add anything to the show!
    Proud member of PHROGGE's Aquarian Army

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

Great set of exercises! Thanks

User Info Menu

Rudiments are very important to have under your belt my fav rlrr parrdiddles way to go mate.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tigers View Post
    Rudiments are very important to have under your belt my fav rlrr parrdiddles way to go mate.
    Paradiddles are among the small group that I put the most emphasis on with my students. Because it mixes singles and doubles and opens up a world of other options.