Thread: Finishing shell interiors..

User Info Menu

Hey all..thought I'd create a thread showing a new project I have embarked on..
    I move my kit (s) around a pretty fair amount and can go from one extreme to the next with WI winters. Now with the upcoming warm and ridiculously humid summer weather just around the corner (we hope) I got to thinking about the wear and tear a drum set has to withstand from being subjected to extremes in climatic changes day in and day out.

This brought my attention to the natural (read: unfinished) interiors of my drum shells. It wouldn't hurt to apply a clear poly coat to the interiors would it?
    I decided to do some research and found that my brainstorm was not an original one. I plan to keep my drums for the duration so I want them to be as well protected as possible. I transport them in padded bags and my wife (strong like yak btw) or myself are the only people to handle them..but what about when the element get a hold of the unfinished wood??

That whole thought process brought me to this project:

step 1,
    remove heads and all shell HW (bare shell)
    step 2,
    hand sand (with grain) 180-240 grit sandpaper shell interior until smooth
    step3,
    remove sanding dust with a tack cloth
    step 4,
    apply poly coat finish (with grain) in light coats
    *I applied 3 coats of Minwax wipe on poly sanding between each coat

This process is time consuming, but if you look at it as a labor of love more than a task..the benefits will far outweigh the time spent.
    As an added bonus..It really brings out the beauty of the wood's grain!

^Man this Gretsch UV finish is just awesome^ bad picture..

^After the second coat^

^The juice^

-Les
    Last edited by Lesizmor; 03-05-2009 at 03:45 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Finishing shell interiors..

wow looks great Les! It really does bring out the beauty of the maple...be sure to keep us updated!
    -Reuben

SABIAN SQUAD
    ^^^SGD'S EVANS EMPIRE^^^
    RIP Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

You will probably geat some increased projection out of your kit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    You will probably geat some increased projection out of your kit.
    Ha! glad you mentioned that..forgot to post it! but yeah, I read that in my research..Sounds and looks like a win-win situation to me! -Les

User Info Menu

Looks like a labor of love man!!

But about Step 2 - what if you can't do a hand stand??
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Very cool Les! Let us know how they sound when you are done!!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

It will make the surface more reflective. I painted the interior of the 16" bass drum in attempt to draw a little more sound out of it. I also varnished the inside of my "Frankensnare". There is a tonal difference for sure.

all the best...

User Info Menu

it will definitely help with projection and should also make the sound a bit more brighter. but let me know if i'm right or not.
    also, i dunno if this has anything to do with this project, but you don't want to have the interior of the shell too smooth - of course this is a matter of oppinion - but a very smooth shell can make the sound to boingy. does that make sense?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    Looks like a labor of love man!!

But about Step 2 - what if you can't do a hand stand??
    Yeah Norske, Both of my kits are not high buck full zoot, but I plan to keep them for the duration. I have locked into two kits with very distinctly different sounds and they both "fit" my needs perfectly.
    Well, a hand stand can be a tricky maneuver. Start out doing a more simple headstand and progress from there. (tee-hee)

Quote Originally Posted by redheaddrummer03 View Post
    Very cool Les! Let us know how they sound when you are done!!
    Will do RHD. I didn't even consider this factor when I started doing my research. I was more looking to add a measure of protection to the shells as I do move my kits around a bit. It should be interesting to hear the results.
    I have just literally minute ago, applied the 3rd coat to the 14" floor tom. I just have the 16" floor and 12" rack to to go. whew!

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    It will make the surface more reflective. I painted the interior of the 16" bass drum in attempt to draw a little more sound out of it. I also varnished the inside of my "Frankensnare". There is a tonal difference for sure.

all the best...
    Well, it should be interesting to hear what my little (haha) project produces!

Quote Originally Posted by jack's_art View Post
    it will definitely help with projection and should also make the sound a bit more brighter. but let me know if i'm right or not.
    also, i dunno if this has anything to do with this project, but you don't want to have the interior of the shell too smooth - of course this is a matter of oppinion - but a very smooth shell can make the sound to boingy. does that make sense?
    hmmm...? I have the shell interiors sanded with 180 grit prior to the first coat and then 220 grit between coats. Man J, I was TOTALLY digging the sound of these drums before I started this project, I really can't imagine this drum set sounding any better..Who knows?? I will post results as soon as they are in. -Les

User Info Menu

Looks great!
    At one point I was considering adding a few clear coats to the insides of my drums as well, but I decided not to because I did not want to loose the boomy woody sound of the shell.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Lesizmor;176304]Will do RHD. I didn't even consider this factor when I started doing my research. I was more looking to add a measure of protection to the shells as I do move my kits around a bit. It should be interesting to hear the results.
    I have just literally minute ago, applied the 3rd coat to the 14" floor tom. I just have the 16" floor and 12" rack to to go. whew!]

I hear ya man. Projects can be fun...but very time consuming!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

So far, I think it's worth it!.. Gonna take 'em to rehearsal next Tues and see if the sound/projection changed any.. -Les

User Info Menu

Ludwig was famous for it's Laquer coated interiors. Lot's of pro drums are like this. It is a great mod if needed. Congrats. I've done this to drumsets before and ,to me, the difference was hard to notice. But I felt good knowing it was done.
    1971 Ludwig 3-ply Maple 7-piece shell set in Oyster Black Pearl w Supraphonic Snare
    1968 Mica-Sonic Deluxe 9-ply Luan Mahogony 4 piece jazz set in Aqua Satin Flame
    2004 Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz 7-ply Phillipene Mahogony 4 piece in Nitron Marine Pearl
    Lot's of old Zildjian A's, some K's, a few Sabiens, and a few Paiste

User Info Menu

That looks really cool. Still gonna put those white heads on it and hide all your handiwork?
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    That looks really cool. Still gonna put those white heads on it and hide all your handiwork?
    Yeah..just the batter side..I wanna wear the 10" on my head like a robot helmet! kinda like this..

-Les

User Info Menu

Great pic! Shows your good side... LOL!
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Love the "marijuana" plant shirt...I have one like it.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

A music store!!! I'm drooling

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    A music store!!! I'm drooling

all the best...
    yup the local Guitar Center.. -Les

User Info Menu

Yeah, I recognized it as a GC. I guess they all look the same!

Les, I can't wait to hear about how finishing the interior of the shell will effect the sound!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Yeah, I recognized it as a GC. I guess they all look the same!

Les, I can't wait to hear about how finishing the interior of the shell will effect the sound!
    I will keep you up to date on that. I have rehearsal tomorrow night...I may give them a whirl then. I am imagining an increase in projection and possibly a slight upance in high frequency tones. I am interested to see/hear! -Les