Thread: double pedal position

User Info Menu

Default double pedal position

Help please, my double pedal has come today but i'm struggling to place it correctly, the snare stand and hihat pedal and stand are getting in the way, can anyone help? pictures would be very helpful if anyone has them.

Thanks Mark
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Default Re: double pedal position

This is a very common problem with double pedal positioning. You can try to find the best possible place with it and stick with it or you can get two legged hi hat stands which allow space for the double pedal or three legged swivel stands which swivel to allow you to position it where you want

User Info Menu

HI, YEAH I'VE SUSSED IT THANKS, just had a play around with the hardware and turned the legs like you said and shortened the joining pedal arm, many thanks.

Mark

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

here's a few pics, also check out the snare..

pedal1.jpg

ped.jpg

pedal.jpg

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Thats the position i had mine in!
    I have B8's too!
    Nice kit

User Info Menu

Nice job Mark! Enjoy those pedals!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

The slave and hi hat look a little close (radially) compared to the main pedal... but that's my personal opinion. Looks like you got the placement and hardware situation pretty much taken care of.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

I have my slave pedal a bit further to left of my snare, around the same angle. Moved it today as I was experimenting witht hings, and found that I play a lot better with the new positioning
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks

User Info Menu

I'm still messing with mine too, it's making me crazy. just trying to get used to odd angles. My last kit had two bass drums so I was used to having the snare centered and not off to my left

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Quadcam79 View Post
    I'm still messing with mine too, it's making me crazy. just trying to get used to odd angles. My last kit had two bass drums so I was used to having the snare centered and not off to my left
    Is it possible to place the slave in the "double bass" position?

User Info Menu

not sure, i just got a pearl pw122 pedal the other day and I havent messed with it a whole lot just yet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    Is it possible to place the slave in the "double bass" position?
    Yes, that's how I do it.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

alot of people starting with double pedals try to maintain the same placement of the rest of thier kit. that doesnt work for me. a standard 5pc w/ 2 toms over the kick and single pedal, has you sitting straight on with your pedal (pedal in 12 o'clock pos.). when people add a dbl they tend to want to still sit straight on with the right pedal, putting the slave too far back and to the left so they can keep thier hat position where it was... causing unballance. one leg will be bent more than the other. with double kick playing you want both feet completely even.

i think of dbl pedal placement like i was playing 2 bass drums. look at some kits with 2 kicks and 2 rack toms in the middle(vinnie paul for example). the drummer sits straight on with pedals in about the 10 and 2 o'clock positions with the snare directly in the middle, making a perfect triangle between the pedals and the throne. the kick drums point slightly away from each other. this puts both legs at even angles. this requires swiveling hi hat legs or a 2 leg stand to get the hat pedal right up next to the slave.

no matter what drum config i use (4, 5 or 7pc), if i am using double pedals, i start with the basic triangle and build up my kit from there.

User Info Menu

It takes awhile but eventually you find the "sweet spot" on the double pedal placement
    You can't change the past but you can always alter the future.