Thread: Swing Shuffle

User Info Menu

Default Swing Shuffle

Hi All

Does anyone know where i can download a basic swing shuffle? no fills or anything like that, just to broaden my playing, i keep going into a rock shuffle as i can not rmember the swing, .i've looked on uthube but these's noting with just the beat.

Cheers Mark
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Default Re: Swing Shuffle

look up bernard purdie on you tube he is a shuffle master, also Hal leonard has a book and cd on shuffle drumming. there are many types of shuffle and and everybody has a different approach, Really think of delaying the off beat 8th notes or even leaving out certain hits to really swing it up. accented and ghost snare notes are your friend in the swing shuffle. only other tips I can think of are think of are triplet heavy accents on the first and third note.
    Also rudimental triplet sticking with accents will really help you become a shuffle demon. good luck.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markthechuck View Post
    Hi All

Does anyone know where i can download a basic swing shuffle? no fills or anything like that, just to broaden my playing, i keep going into a rock shuffle as i can not rmember the swing, .i've looked on uthube but these's noting with just the beat.

Cheers Mark
    mark.........send Frank a pm , I would think his big band has something on MP3 you could listen to .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    look up bernard purdie on you tube he is a shuffle master, also Hal leonard has a book and cd on shuffle drumming. there are many types of shuffle and and everybody has a different approach, Really think of delaying the off beat 8th notes or even leaving out certain hits to really swing it up. accented and ghost snare notes are your friend in the swing shuffle. only other tips I can think of are think of are triplet heavy accents on the first and third note.
    Also rudimental triplet sticking with accents will really help you become a shuffle demon. good luck.
    Exactly! Purdie is a shuffle machine.A good shuffle player blows my mind.So smooth and every note is perfect.

User Info Menu

The "Shuffle" can only be played with a Swing feel...it cannot be played with a straight Rock feel (i.e. straight eighth notes). The Shuffle Rhythm is played like a dotted eighth note and sixteenth note. Do this: Play straight 1/8 notes on your ride cymbal and count out loud 1 + 2+ 3 + 4 + and keep doing this. Add the bass drum on counts 1 2 3 4, the snare drum on counts 2 and 4 as well as the hi - hat. This is your basic Rock beat. Now, relax the straight 1/8 note cymbal pattern and count out loud as 1 a 2 a 3 a 4 a. It should have a "Lazy" feel to it, almost as if it were slowing down. Keep the other parts the same and you now have the basic Shuffle Rhythm. Think of songs like "Kansas City", "Night Train".
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg