Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drumsticks in Bulk

User Info Menu

Default Drumsticks in Bulk

Wondering what your experience has been with buying drumsticks in bulk. Do you guys do this? Do you just use them to practice or do some of you use them on the gig? I know buying them in a bundle can be a bargain.

Update: 4-31-22
    Drum Bum now sells drumsticks in bulk. Please contact them at mail@drumbum.com for more information. Or call 1 800 DRUM BUM (378-6286).

User Info Menu

I never buy bulk drumsticks. I'm not a hard hitter, so my sticks usually last me a couple months.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Most pro drummers never buy those things. You get used to quality and then the cheapos don't feel right. Same as drums.
    That said, they're great for practicing and can save you some $$$. I tell me students to shop for bargain or brick drumsticks to save money until they perfect their technique.
    Limpy
    *Drum yourself to death

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LIMPy
    You get used to quality and then the cheapos don't feel right.
    That's how I feel. I've been using the same brand and model of sticks for almost 20 years. I, personally, don't care for the no-name/buy-in-bulk sticks.
    Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction

User Info Menu

I buy the brand names in bulk...I use Pro Marks, and I get a box (12 pairs) for about 70 bucks.
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

They're great for parents buying for a kid who goes through a lot of sticks.

User Info Menu

Well, I usually buy 3-4 pairs at a time.. Usually some vaters.. IF not 12 packs of Zildjian 5A's
    God Bless & Rock On
    Current Set: Yamaha 7pc Maple Custom Abosulte
    Current Cymbals: Zildjian A Custom Cymbals
    Hardware: Yamaha 1100 Series, and DW 5000 Series Kick

User Info Menu

haha i use the cheap ones and I buy 3 pairs and then split it with my friend their called buskers. ..........well okay they didnt brake for quite awhile so i dont know maybe theyll last long.

User Info Menu

They do sell cheap drumsticks in bulk at my local music shop.
    Last edited by drummer; 05-27-2008 at 10:31 AM.

User Info Menu

Well, I know 10 kronor is +- one euro, so I guess thats 36 USD

User Info Menu

And i know that 1 pound is 13 kronor.

User Info Menu

Sound Percussions r pretty good for practice, u can always buy them in bulk
    but as always, Vic Firth is a good choice(7A for me), and i haven't tried Vaters, but i reeeeaaalllllllyyy want to get some.

User Info Menu

i buy cheapos for solo pratice but when im with the band i use promarks ...
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

I imagine if You buy sticks in Bulk they would be cheaper.I use the Ahead Drumsticks so I don't have to worry about buying sticks soo much....

User Info Menu

I pick up a brick of Vic Firth about every other month. Question for you, where do you think the stores single pairs come from?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kromberg
    Question for you, where do you think the stores single pairs come from?
    My thought exactly.

User Info Menu

I buy cheap drumsticks in bulk for practice, then I use my Ahead's for gigs
    The egg approves!

User Info Menu

really i wouldnt do that cuz with using ur stix in bulk ur used to them in practice the weight the feel etc. like they are more familiar to u

but then to switch the make and kind of stix altogether for a gig, that just sounds unneseccary, does it work for u?

cuz i know i would notice a big difference
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

Question Nylon tips?

Do sticks with nylon tips give you a better sound than the plain wood tip sticks? I'm using a cheap pair that you can really feel the difference in and the sound difference is way off. I want to invest in a new pair and i order all my equipment from musiciansfriend. I've read some info on guys having problems with the tips coming off. If you recommend nylon tips what are the best ones for quality as far as your personal experience goes?
    DancehallDoctor -Pearl drums

User Info Menu

Cool Drumsticks in Bulk

If you're referring to the "buckets of sticks" some stores sell with sticks just mixed willy-nilly, no way, especially if you're a noob...you could end up with two sticks that look alike but could be completely different weights or qualities unless you know your sticks...

If you have a favorite type of stick and can get a brick of them cheaper than buy'n the same amount two at a time, then go for it! Realize that even among the same size and make stick, you may still get one that's good, while the other could be a bit warped.

For my part, I don't break that many sticks ... and they don't usually sell conga heads in bulk !
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drumsticks in Bulk

Well, I just did my first bulk drumstick buy. They had a box of Vic Firth 85A sticks for $1 a pair. I have never heard of 85A's before, so I checked them against 5A's to see if maybe they were longer sticks, but they really appeared to be the same stick. I think maybe they were misimprinted at the factory, and so they were selling them for $1 a pair. I got a package of 6 pairs for $6. I'm still having a hard time believing I got 6 pairs of Vic Firth sticks for $6!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

For several years, I have purchased three pair of sticks at a time...two pair of the same to keep in my stick bag for gigs and one pair of something different. The odd pair opens up my thinking about other sticks, sizes, brands etc. Once in a while, I will come across a pair that I like for a specific purpose. When my favorites show their wear, I use them for practice. I tend to buy Vic Firth sticks two pair at a time. My last purchase, I bought Dennis Chamber jazz model in Zildjian stick. I like it for practicing and playing with small jazz combo but, not with the big band. For this I use the Vic Firth Peter Erskine Ride. I don't go through sticks as often as some of you guys might do, so, consequently, I don't buy sticks as often or in bulk.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LIMPy View Post
    Most pros never buy those things. You get used to quality and then the cheapos don't feel right. Same as drums.
    most pros probably have stick endorsements and don't really need to shop the bargain bulk bins. they get any stick they want in bulk.

User Info Menu

I buy Vater Manhattan 2nds in bulk / brick. Then for shows I just use a pair of Vater Manhattans. This way, You can get the same feel with practice and show sticks, but 2nds are extremely inexpensive because of blemishes or what have you.

User Info Menu

Recently bought 10 pairs of Buddy Rich Signature 2nds for $10. Haven't found a stick out of the pack yet that wasn't straight. Only imperfections I can find are cosmetic blemishes which do no affect their performance.
    Kits
    DW Performance(white marine): 8x7/10x8/12x9/16x14/22x18
    Mapex Saturn III(transparent walnut): 10x8/12x9/16x16/22x18/14x5.5

Snares
    Pork Pie 14x7 Cherry/Bubinga
    Pork Pie 14x6.5 Big Black Bob
    Mapex Saturn 14x5.5 Maple/Walnut
    Homemade 14x5.5 Maple(10 ply Keller)

Cymbals
    Sabian
    14" AA regular hats
    10" AAX splash