Thread: I'm back!! and how to fix ''snare ringing''

User Info Menu

Default I'm back!! and how to fix ''snare ringing''

Hey guys i'm back (my other computer broke and now i finally got a new one so hopefully that won't happen again)and i have a new zilidjian (i think that's how you spell it) 14''in. hi-hat and 18'' in. ride crash that i love. but i have one major and annoying problem, for some reason the snare wires on my snare will vibrate and make an annoying ringing sound if they are tight or even touching the bottom of the snare everytime i hit my left rack tom.....so i have to play with my snare sounding like the one from the horrible st. anger album by metallica so does anyone know how to fix this? also incase anyone was wondering the only songs or song i can play so far is rockstar by nickelback (harder then it seems atleast for me...took me 2-3 weeks to get it down 100%) and i know almost all of enter sandman by metallica but i haven't figured all the tom parts out yet.

but any suggestions to stop the dreaded ring/vibration will be appreciated, and it's great to be back!

User Info Menu

Default Re: I'm back!! and how to fix ''snare ringing''

Take the snare off of snare so it sounds like a tom.

Is it higher in tone or lower than the offending tom?

It should be higher and then maybe loosen your snare wires just a tad. See what happens.

Also, make sure your snare heads are tuned the same. Then you can adjust the reso head up or down a hair to eliminate the vibration, hopefully.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Zildjian

This is what I do and it works great: Get two squares of toilet paper and fold em til they make rectangles about 2:1 dimensions and slightly longer than the width of your snare wires. Release the snare and slip em under either edge of the wires. You'll have to mess around with the tension of the wires and thickness of the paper but it should eliminate snare noise from hitting your toms and kick.

User Info Menu

thanks everyone for your replies, ill try both of your suggestions and hopefully it'll help thanks once again

User Info Menu

I´ve got the same issue with the snare buzzing when I hit my toms, or when watching a film on tv!

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Take the snare off of snare so it sounds like a tom.

Is it higher in tone or lower than the offending tom?

It should be higher and then maybe loosen your snare wires just a tad. See what happens.

Also, make sure your snare heads are tuned the same. Then you can adjust the reso head up or down a hair to eliminate the vibration, hopefully.
    What Bish said and if that dont work try 1/4 turn down on each lug on each side of snares always works for me. Nuff said

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rob View Post
    I´ve got the same issue with the snare buzzing when I hit my toms, or when watching a film on tv!
    When there are lower freq/ bass in the room, it's going to cause your drums to resonate. All of them, because that's what drums are built to do. When it comes to watching tv and other things, i recomend releasing the snare, it saves on the tension as well. But when it comes to toms making your snare buzz, ha ha i've done the TP idea and it works really well.
    www.fadesaway.com

Matt...
    Fades Away

Forever I am Forgiven, and Forever, I will Rejoice.

User Info Menu

One other possibility for you D118. If you like the sound of your snare. you could tune the rack tom a little higher, or lower. Since the tom is probably tuned in resonance with your snare reso head, changing the tuning of the tom would also decrease the snare buzz.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

thanks pastor bob and everybody, and yeah i personally love the sound of my snare...although people who have been drumming for years on this forum might say otherwise lol but i will try to tune my rack tom a little higher or lower to see if that'll help

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer118 View Post
    ..so i have to play with my snare sounding like the one from the horrible st. anger album by metallica
    Lol, if my snare drum sounded like st. anger I wouldn't want to change it!

Wanna trade? Lol.

User Info Menu

When your snare head is too loose, it will cause unwanted buzz(sympathetic buzz) and snare ring to increase. Make sure your snare head is not too loose and is evenly tuned. Same with the bottom head. Start with that. You will always get unwanted buzz from your snare when you hit your tpms, especially if the toms closest to your snare are high(small) toms, unless you switch to strait cable snares, which will reduce sympathetic buzz by about 70%.
    A good drummer will sound good on anything(even stock drum heads). A bad drummer will sound bad on anything.