Thread: My snare drum won't shut-up...

User Info Menu

Default My snare drum won't shut-up...

when i hit the bass drum, or floor tom, my snare can't resist the urge to go, "bzzz",

An way to fix that?, By the way its a steel Ludwig Accent snare drum, with a clear Remo Ambassador Resonant., and new Pearl snares...
    Last edited by rsshortstack22; 03-29-2009 at 06:11 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: My snare drum won't shut-up...

yeah like this....

you><noisy snare

-Les

User Info Menu

mine buzzes too, I can't get it to quit. No matter which tom I hit or the bass drum it buzzes, if my hats are open and barely touching, my bass drum makes them vibrate also, which I kind of like, gives it some character, but I could do without the snare buzzing.

I have tried different tunings, loosening the 4 lugs under the snares, the tp trick ect... I think my problem is the snare wires. They are new pearl wires. I have tightened them up and it still won't go away. I am going to get some new snares tomorrow and see if that does the trick. I also have a brass snare. Pearl Sensitone Elite 6 1/2 x 14.

User Info Menu

seriously though..
    It could be as camp stated.something as easy as an adjustment of the wire set..or possibly a shallow snare bed.
    I would suggest messing around with the (existing) wire set adjustment before you stick 15-50 bux on a new wire set.
    I recommend a Grover percussion nickel wound 20 strand set if you go the route of replacing the wires..
    An ambassador snare reso??

-Les

User Info Menu

oh haha, my bad, i ment to say resonant head. haha

User Info Menu

I used to have this problem, except it was when I hit my crash. Every time I hit it, after it faded away you could hear the snare buzzing. Then I figured out one of the legs of the crash stand was touching the snare stand, and I guess the vibrations were going through it or something, so I scooted it an inch back in it was fine.
    Matt

User Info Menu

well if your snare wont shut up, use duck tape to make it shut up =) just joking actually i once shared your problem. i have ambassadors (batter and reso) and my toms were tuned badly with waaaay too many overtones that when they would resonate the snare would pick it up ( i have yamaha hi-carbons snare wires) and it just tuned the overtones out of the tom and it fixxed the prob and my toms sound great now.
    "it aint got no thing if it aint got that swing"

Yamaha Stage Custom Noveau
    10,12,14,20,14 (standard 2 up 1 down)
    Evans EC2 over Remo Ambassador Resos
    Evans Genera Dry over ambassador resos
    DW 5002 double bass pedal
    Sabian 14 inch AAX Xcelerator hats
    Sabian 14 inch HHX X-plosion crash
    Sabian 16 inch AAX studio crash
    Zildjian 17 inch Z custom crash
    Sabian 21 inch AA rock ride
    Zildjian 18 inch oriental china trash
    Agrazian 10 inch Splash

User Info Menu

Moon Gel
    PEARL MASTERS MCX in Bronze Glass
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9
    Camilo:''your guitarrist is awesome',Xweasel: ''yeah he's asian''

User Info Menu

I know it can drive you crazy, but some snare buzz is good. It gives the kit some life. It will NEVER be noticed in a band situation.

That said, if you really want it gone, try detuning one lug on each of the offending toms. Play around loosening one lug while tapping. Sometimes that works.

Also loosen the tension rods on each side of the snare wires (all 4 at the snare bed). If the reso snare head starts to wrinkle, hit it with a hair dryer to remove the wrinkles.

• 1966 4-piece Ludwig Black Oyster Pearl
    • 2000 8-piece DW Collector's Grey Swirl
    • 2002 8-piece Pearl Masterworks GB Packer Gold
    • 2008 8-piece Tama B&B Lava Glass Glitter
    • Paiste Signature 12, 14, 14, 16, 16, 17, 18, 18, 20, 20, 22
    • Paiste Formula 602 14, 14, 16, 18, 20

User Info Menu

Like mentioned above, some snare rattle isn't bad and you'll never notice it when playing in a band.

That being said, it used to drive me nuts. I ended up over tightening everything on most of my snare drums. Now that I have several snares, I've loosened up most of them and started doing some of the things stated above. Sympathetic vibration might cause snare rattle too. Just tweek the tuning of your toms... or what I do since my tom tuning is what I base everything else off of, I completely change the tuning of the snare to minimize sympathetic vibrations as much as possible. Between head selection and tuning, you can get rid of most of the annoyance. It's a decent amount of trial and error to find what you need to do. There will still be a little buzz/rattle left, but at that point you might end up liking that amount of it.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

i found that im tuning the Hi-tom too close to the snare drum which is causing it to rattle. Just try changing the tuning of the heads on the snare and toms and see if that helps!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jydg21 View Post
    i found that im tuning the Hi-tom too close to the snare drum which is causing it to rattle. Just try changing the tuning of the heads on the snare and toms and see if that helps!
    oooooooh, good idea! thanks.

User Info Menu

When your snare head is too loose, it will cause unwanted buzz(sympathetic buzz) and snare ring to increase. Make sure your snare head is not too loose and is evenly tuned. Same with the bottom head. Start with that. You will always get unwanted buzz from your snare when you hit your toms, especially if the toms closest to your snare are high(small) toms, unless you switch to strait cable snares, which will reduce sympathetic buzz by about 70%.
    A good drummer will sound good on anything(even stock drum heads). A bad drummer will sound bad on anything.