Thread: Kings of leon - sex on fire

User Info Menu

Default Kings of leon - sex on fire

Hi

http://www.imeem.com/people/tmFnW97/...n-sex-on-fire/

I want to learn this song as the singer has said she wouldn't mind adding it to out list of songs, 1 thing.... the hihat rythym during the verse keeps throwing me, straight 16th beats don't seem to fit in, going from the snare to the tambourine is ok but there seems to be something happening with with the hihat that i can not seem to get, someone's told me it has a latin kind of feel to it, can anyone help?? is it just the combanation of hihat, snare, tambourine and bass that makes it sound different than it is??

Please please help me out on this one if you can..

Cheers Mark
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Default Re: Kings of leon - sex on fire

Sounds like straight 4's (my speakers are horrible)..bass drum on 3 and 4 w/tamborine on the 4 as well.

Damo Guest

I have nightmares about this song. I wake up screaming fearing it'll NEVER go away!

Mark - There should be plenty of people who have tabbed that song out somewhere online, as its a very popular song.

User Info Menu

I don't know if this will help you out at all, but here's a cover of the song by one of my favorite drummers on YouTube. I used this video myself to help with learning the song. He uses a splash instead of the tamborine but you get the idea.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGWx8KkXlPw"]YouTube - Sex on Fire - Kings of Leon drum cover by trout[/ame]

User Info Menu

I think during the 1st verse, it is just straight 4/4, but obviously the snare (3 count) on the 1st and 3rd bar is done on the tambourine, during the first half of the verse, then replaces it with the snare on the second half.

The 2nd verse is different. He switches and adds in double strokes on the hi-hat before the tambourine hit. Beyond that though i can assure you it is a very straight song, stright rolls for the fills etc... not much to it.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thesilencer View Post
    I don't know if this will help you out at all, but here's a cover of the song by one of my favorite drummers on YouTube. I used this video myself to help with learning the song. He uses a splash instead of the tamborine but you get the idea.
    YouTube - Sex on Fire - Kings of Leon drum cover by trout
    dudes feeling it around 2:20

User Info Menu

there's creams for that

this song is a fail with out a tambourine ...just feels wrong

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger View Post
    I think during the 1st verse, it is just straight 4/4, but obviously the snare (3 count) on the 1st and 3rd bar is done on the tambourine, during the first half of the verse, then replaces it with the snare on the second half.

The 2nd verse is different. He switches and adds in double strokes on the hi-hat before the tambourine hit. Beyond that though i can assure you it is a very straight song, stright rolls for the fills etc... not much to it.

I need to make a correction to two points here. 1st, and probably most important - the hi-hat doubles happens on the third verse, not the second. Second difference is that he changes his sticking for the snare hits on the hi-hats. He uses the tip of the stick for most strikes, then hits with the shaft on the same hit as the snare, for extra sound. Again, small things, but could be the difference your hearing.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?