Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buddy Rich - Famous Drummers

User Info Menu

Default Buddy Rich - Famous Drummers

Buddy Rich

Drummer: Bernard "Buddy" Rich
    Main Style: Jazz, Swing, Bebop
    Main Band: The Buddy Rich Big Band
    Brief Summary: Once billed as "the world's greatest drummer who's technique has been one of the most standardized and coveted in drumming. His dexterity, musicality of playing style, speed and smooth execution are considered "holy grails" of drum technique and have been considered extremely difficult to duplicate.

Other Facts: Buddy was known as a performer and endorser of Slingerland Radio King, and Rogers Drums. He switched to Ludwig drums for much of the 1970s to the early 1980s

Born September 30, 1917 in Brooklyn, New York. Deceased April 2, 1987, aged 69.

Back to Famous Drummers
    Last edited by Howzit; 03-18-2012 at 03:11 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Buddy Rich

Drum Solo - Concert of the America's:

http://youtu.be/9esWG6A6g-k

http://youtu.be/erE8WTngaAY
    Last edited by Howzit; 01-11-2012 at 08:51 PM.

User Info Menu

....Da Man

-------------------
    Advertisement
    Buddy Rich T-shirts

Buddy Rich T-shirt

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    ....Da Man

I was waiting for someone to bring Buddy up.

I had the good fortune of having lived about a 1/2 hour drive from his clubs in the 70's.

I know that I've posted this before, but, I'll repeat myself.

One night after the sets with his band, I was standing outside talking to Mel Lewis, and we were trying to figure out what we saw that night.

There were several "name" drummers there, and he obviously knew it. He put on a show, that to this day, I still can't figure out what or how he did what he did that night.

It was a rolling thunder of drums that was like nothing I've ever seen before or since. I'm pretty good at what I do, and I have tried more times than I can count to come close to the sound he got from his drums, only to realize that, after all the years, I'm never going to be able to do what he did that night.

He was "THE MAN".

User Info Menu

I was fortunate to see Buddy Rich and his big band live in Ft. Worth, TX in the 70's. Stunning..............simply, stunning.

I also remember watching Buddy play a solo on a wooden chair on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. He did and amazing solo on that chair.

User Info Menu

Yeah! same here big fan of Buddy. Never had a chance to see him in person but I watched him on tv whenever he was appearing on Carson or any other shows. I was always amazed at his speed and stick control what a drummer he was. To me he was the best of his time.

User Info Menu

fastest singles I have ever seen

User Info Menu

When I was a senior in high school "1975" being the president of the band and a great friend of my band director, we had the honor of the great "Buddy Rich"
    perform at our high school.
    I remember Mr Rich saying one night on "The Tonight Show" that he did not play as many clubs but high schools as far as his touring went.
    Here is my rememberance and tale of that great event in my life.
    The band arrived and we had the dressing rooms set up. One for the band and one for Mr Rich. He didn't seem to care. The band set up on two risers the school provided. Mr Rich on this concert was set up on the floor, stage right of the band. He was useing Slingerland drums. The white marine Pearl. Snare,mounted tom , two floor toms. We all know the setup. I thought it odd that he was useing a speed king pedal with Slingerland Drums but ?? That's what it was. I saw it with my own eyes.
    Before the concert he was signing autographs, so I got mine and as i did a young band director from a middle school commented from behind the others waiting for autographs, " I would have liked to have a drum lesson from you but i could not afford $100 a half hour" . Well' that obviously was the wrong thing to say!!! I bet Buddy would have like to tell the guy "Let's Take It outside"!!
    Mr Rich immidiately stood up and left the autograph signing.
    He went outside the dressing room adjoining the stage and I will never forget this. . Buddy was throwing practice side kicks at his manager with in a millimeter of his face. I remember his mgr saying,"ok man, thats close enough".
    I was in martial arts for years and now looking back, Buddy was snapping those kicks . In hard sole type shoes.
    Well, when he started playing, I was fortunate enough to be within 16 feet of him on the side of the stage. His playing was solid and precise. I was so amazed. Technique was amazeing. I will never forget that experience. I got to shake hands with the Master.
    I am so humbled and still.......
    Mr Rich, will always live in my memory and Drum History.
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1980 Silver Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1960 Gold Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1968 Champagne Sparkle
    Premier Resonators vintage 70's Polychromatic Red
    Slingerland 60's Vintage. Vintage Sky Blue Pearl
    Slingerland 1972 "Avante" Red
    Camco Chanute vintage. 1973 Silver Sparkle
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Blue Pearl
    Sonor Safari. Black Galaxy
    Rogers Londoner V vintage. 1977 Silver Mist
    Rogers Script Badge 9/72 1972 Black Nitro
    Beverley of England 4 piece vintage. Red
    Stewart 1966 Black Diamond Pearl MIJ
    Vintage Paiste 2002
    Vintage Avedis Zildjian

User Info Menu

Incredible!

Last edited by Olimpass; 08-08-2019 at 07:46 AM.

User Info Menu

Yeah Vibes. The first and only time I saw Buddy Rich was at a high school as well. Not mine but another one in the town where I grew up. It was amazing because it was totally not a jazz appeciation type of place at all. Of course the band and he was great! No meet and greet though. Oh well.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Aye Vibes you are one of the lucky ones to get a autograph from the greatest drummer of it's era. I would hold on to that signature if you still have cause it will be worth some $$ and not only that you can show it off. This kind of luck only happens once in a lifetime so cherish it man.

User Info Menu

That clip Olimpass posted is just insane. I saw Buddy twice in the 70s. I never forgot. Its just one of those things. You never forget. The guy must have had the greatest fast twitch reflexes ever. The camera can't keep up.

------------------------
    Advertisement
    Buddy Rich Drums Mug - White Marine Pearl

The white marine pearl finish or covering was on Buddy Rich's Slingerland drumset as well as numerous other
    famous drummers (and not so famous drummers) through the years. Now you can own a coffee mug
    with this great drum. A unique gift for any drummer. Like the vintage drum finish itself, the mugs would make a great
    collectible.
    Greg_C

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gregc View Post
    That clip Olimpass posted is just insane. I saw Buddy twice in the 70s. I never forgot. Its just one of those things. You never forget. The guy must have had the greatest fast twitch reflexes ever. The camera can't keep up.
    I agree with you gregc! His sticks looked like rubber when doing those singles....lol.

User Info Menu

Buddy was a great storyteller too. And check out this video, especially from 6:15 onwards when Parky asks Buddy if he could play on anything.

"...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

THE MAN.

Probably the most interesting man I ever met.

I have a couple of albums signed by him, including the first one from his small club. I was there 2 nights when they were recording it.

Buddy Rich off-stage was a totally different person than the Buddy from Carson and other shows. He was a genuinely nice guy who cared deeply about his band and music.

User Info Menu

Wow.
    These videos are the first pieces of footage of Buddy I've ever seen.
    Damn, I'm speechless. That's incredible.
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

Buddy Rich and Jerry Lewis

Last edited by Olimpass; 08-08-2019 at 07:48 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by almostmatt1 View Post
    Wow.
    These videos are the first pieces of footage of Buddy I've ever seen.
    Damn, I'm speechless. That's incredible.

That was nothing. Punch him in at u-tube and watch some amazing drumming.

User Info Menu

I agree with rick there are alot of vids of Buddy out there on YouTube. He is my idol of all drummers ever. He was the man.

User Info Menu

hey Rick, didnt you swipe an ashtray from Buddys club?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kyle102565 View Post
    hey Rick, didnt you swipe an ashtray from Buddys club?

I didn't "swipe " it. I asked for 1 as a souvenir, he went into the back and came out with 6-8 ashtrays. Told me I now had 1 for every room in my house.

Picture of the last 1 is on my album page.

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Buddy Rich

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I didn't "swipe " it. I asked for 1 as a souvenir, he went into the back and came out with 6-8 ashtrays. Told me I now had 1 for every room in my house.

Picture of the last 1 is on my album page.
    I envy you Rick for being lucky of meeting the great one and to have him give you an autograph and 8 ashtrays. You have a spare one you can send me LOL

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I envy you Rick for being lucky of meeting the great one and to have him give you an autograph and 8 ashtrays. You have a spare one you can send me LOL

I lived on about a 1/2 hour drive from his clubs, so when I was in the area, I might be there 4 nights a week.

He never remembered my name, I was either drummer or kid, but he was always nice to me.

Sometimes we would have conversations depending on how busy he was. One night we talked cars for about a 1/2 hour (we seldom talked drums) and he even walked with me to look at the AMX I had.

I think he liked to talk to someone that had a lot of the same interests that he had. We both loved fast cars, he was in WWII, I was in Nam, karate.

At the same time, I am in no way implying that we were hanging out friends. He was a nice guy that, away from the spotlight, was a interesting man to talk to.

As for the ashtrays. I gave a couple to close friends of mine, my sister (who was a big fan even though she could only play the radio) has 1, my mother had 1, that since she passed last year, hasn't turned up, so the 1 in the album is the only 1 I have left.

User Info Menu

I just watched the Live in '78 Holland DVD. I had heard him, read about him, but don't have any of his 'music' and honestly never watched him intensely for a whole show.
    I was completely awestruck by this dude. He was 60 or so, but watching him made me want to change my playing, my attitude to drums. His technique was incredible. Totally "the guy". I wanted to listen to the DVD and practice his tunes (ha like I could?)

A nice quote on the inside of the DVD leaflet " you got nothing in drumming if you don't have a good single stroke roll.....it should sound like sandpaper"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dropdtune View Post
    I just watched the Live in '78 Holland DVD. I had heard him, read about him, but don't have any of his 'music' and honestly never watched him intensely for a whole show.
    I was completely awestruck by this dude. He was 60 or so, but watching him made me want to change my playing, my attitude to drums. His technique was incredible. Totally "the guy". I wanted to listen to the DVD and practice his tunes (ha like I could?)

A nice quote on the inside of the DVD leaflet " you got nothing in drumming if you don't have a good single stroke roll.....it should sound like sandpaper"

I have all his DVD's, and the Live in '78 is the best.