Thread: DW 9701 Low Boom Stand

User Info Menu

Default DW 9701 Low Boom Stand

I saw this on DW's web site and thought it was pretty cool. It is a boom cymbal stand with one telescoping tube removed. This looks to be good for positioning the ride cymbal over the bass drum, reducing a little weight and a few dollars from the price of the standard 9000 series boom stand. It would make the stand less versatile I suppose, but if it a dedicated ride stand and you want it low this would serve a good purpose. I'm adding one of these to my wish list.

User Info Menu

Default Re: DW 9701 Low Boom Stand

Very cool looking boom stand, the 9701. I found that having my ride as low as possible and to have it directly over the kick is the ideal placement for me but every boom stand I own stands too high. With one of the telescoping sections removed, it looks as though it would really work to my advantage to have this stand in my arsenal.

Thanks for taking the time to post this here. I appreciate it when members highlight new hardware. It makes it easier than scouring the internet to find what's new.

User Info Menu

Whoa... I have 9000 stands for each new Meinl, but not this guy. Dang that's cool. And I have that problem too! It seems like my ride could be a little lower. With every cymbal I get, I try to get the mounting hardware (Stand, dogbone, extra boom arm, ect.) at the same time. I think when I get my next Meinl crash I'll just get this stand and move my current ride stand, a normal 9000, over for the new crash. Thanks for showing me this!

Noah
    Last edited by IAmNotATable; 07-02-2011 at 12:33 AM.
    C&C ll Rogers ll Ludwig ll Slingerland

Istanbul Agop 16" Signature Hats ll 15" 30th Anniversary Hats
    Istanbul Agop 22" Special Edition Jazz Ride ll 22" Trash Hit
    Istanbul Agop 24" Turk Jazz Ride

DW 6000/9000 Hardware ll Aquarian Drumheads ll Roland SPD-SX ll Ableton Live 9

User Info Menu

Surely, it only saves at most, a couple of inches? I can't see that being really particularly useful. Fair enough it saves money and weight, but it only saves money if you were buying the stand anyway, equally there'd be no point upgrading to that unless you were upgrading all your stands anyway.
    GRETSCH - crush - Sabian - DW - promark

"Aint nobody gonna argue with a bus!"

www.fireproofmatch.com - Free EP Download.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by iamanidiot View Post
    Surely, it only saves at most, a couple of inches? I can't see that being really particularly useful. Fair enough it saves money and weight, but it only saves money if you were buying the stand anyway, equally there'd be no point upgrading to that unless you were upgrading all your stands anyway.
    Maybe NOT useful to you but a few inches makes a big difference to me and others? It's all good man. Your opinion is valid but it's an opinion. Everyones entitled to one.

User Info Menu

I don't think it would be too useful for most of us. What, most of us play on 22 inch kicks right? How high is a regular boom stand? Can't be but just a tad higher than that. How low do you need to go? Is the rest of your kit as low as it goes? Just doesn't seem ergonomic to me to have the lowest setting. It is definitely a specialty item in my eyes.

User Info Menu

I play with a 20" kick and I like my ride pretty low and I don't have a problem with a standard boom. If I was getting a full new set of stands i'd get the lower boom displayed in this thread, but it's not something that makes me go "I gotta have this, what an innovation."
    GRETSCH - crush - Sabian - DW - promark

"Aint nobody gonna argue with a bus!"

www.fireproofmatch.com - Free EP Download.

User Info Menu

A couple inches definitely makes a difference for me. I'm definitely thankful DW made this stand because I, being a shorter guy at a towering 5',5", like my stuff lower. (Except for my throne, I sit pretty high.) I wouldn't waste my time getting it if I already had all my 9000 stands, but I don't. I'm going to be buying 3 or 4 more in the next year. I might actually get two, I keep my china at the same level as my ride. I think it's cool, we all have our own opinions and I'm not offended by them. You guys just take a look at my kit right now, it's a different setup and you can tell stuff is set pretty low. You can see that the ride is on it's 9000 boom stand, and the boom is almost parallel with the floor. The ride hits the boom because it's a 22". The Sand Ride I'm getting is also a 22". Problem!

For every Meinl I get, I get a 9000 with it. Why not get a lower one? (:

About my cymbals, I'm borrowing a 19" K China and a 22" Dream Contact Ride. This was taken the day before my new hats came, I'll try and get a picture of those soon. The rest of the cymbals can be seen in my sig.
    Last edited by IAmNotATable; 08-22-2011 at 12:44 AM.
    C&C ll Rogers ll Ludwig ll Slingerland

Istanbul Agop 16" Signature Hats ll 15" 30th Anniversary Hats
    Istanbul Agop 22" Special Edition Jazz Ride ll 22" Trash Hit
    Istanbul Agop 24" Turk Jazz Ride

DW 6000/9000 Hardware ll Aquarian Drumheads ll Roland SPD-SX ll Ableton Live 9

User Info Menu

That's cool. I'd buy one. I don't have a problem with my current stand but one of the sections isn't extended at all. I like this idea.

User Info Menu

I just picked up this stand, along with a regular 9000 boom & 9000 straight. The low boom is considerably lighter than the regular boom. It extends higher than all my current cymbal placements, but not by much. Where this stand shines is in its low position ability. It positions about 5" lower than the regular boom stand. When the boom arm is horizontal to the floor the top of the cymbal bell sits 28" above the floor.
    Last edited by areFish; 08-19-2011 at 03:39 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by iamanidiot View Post
    Surely, it only saves at most, a couple of inches?
    Yeah, but it probalby saves some weight in the hardware bag too.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Here is a 9701 sitting in front of a 9700. Both at the lowest position and adjustment angles the same.

User Info Menu

How about at the highest?

Tan

User Info Menu

I would think that low boom stand would be fine as a stand for a crash as well. To get the stand higher you could use it as a straight stand , that should give plenty of height.

User Info Menu

I find it easier to play softer on a ride (including the bell area) that is off to the right and up higher ( I'm 6' 3" ) I have seen some rides hovering right over the bass but mostly in 3 piece or jazz setups. Like you said, personal preference. First thing I noticed in your set-up photo was how flat you keep ALL your brass. Seems like a lower stand will suit you just fine.
    Most definitely. As a matter of fact, there will be "NO LIMIT"... just an unending quagmire of musical genius.

User Info Menu

Interested. Any other higher end boom stands that can get close to as low as this one?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by areFish View Post
    I saw this on DW's web site and thought it was pretty cool. It is a boom cymbal stand with one telescoping tube removed. This looks to be good for positioning the ride cymbal over the bass drum, reducing a little weight and a few dollars from the price of the standard 9000 series boom stand. It would make the stand less versatile I suppose, but if it a dedicated ride stand and you want it low this would serve a good purpose. I'm adding one of these to my wish list.

im gonna get this for my ride!
    I Never hit my Snare without a Rim ShoT!

DW/Pearl/Zildjian/Evans/Vic Firth

User Info Menu

Hmm, interesting how they got it so low.. I could see this as being a blessing for those of us playing on a set up with a smaller 16" or an 18" kick drum.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments