Page 114 of 124 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115116 ... LastLast
Results 2,826 to 2,850 of 3085

Thread: Mapex Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mapex Drums Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Mapex is introducing new line of snare drums? Anyone have any details?
    I saw there were additions to the BP snares & a new Armory snare.

The Black Panther Design Lab series:

Mapex is proud to announce the Black Panther Design Lab series snare drums. These professional level snares were developed with the performance needs of top players in mind and engineered to blend sound and performance with modern design.

The Mapex Black Panther Design Lab Series embodies the performance qualities desired by top players. These distinctive instruments have been engineered using the Design Lab’s “Concept Hybrid” approach to sound design, shell composition and drum construction. Our understanding of how different tone woods, bearing edge profiles, counterhoop styles, lug casings, snare wires, drumheads and even shell finishes can affect the acoustic performance of a drum has allowed Mapex to combine “Sound Concepts” to create unique and personal instruments for the demanding player.

There are four distinct Black Panther Design Lab Snares:

The Equinox 14” Snare features a North American Maple shell, reinforcement rings and the classic styling of single-flanged hoops which evoke musical traditions and modern execution. This drum possesses the controlled articulation needed to hear the most subtle ghost notes coupled with a bright and open presence at full volume.

The Heartbreaker 14” Snare is constructed of an all-mahogany shell and reinforcement rings which blend historic snare drum tone with modern snare design. It combines the dark, rustic and throaty sounds of rock classics, but easily fits with today’s more organic alternative styles.

The Cherry Bomb 14” and 13” Snares are a re-imagined and optimized version of the original Cherry Bomb snare. The Design Lab Cherry Bomb is crafted with a medium-thick Cherrywood shell. The soft density of Cherry absorbs higher overtones, delivering a warm, focused tone and a punchy backbeat. It sounds and feels vintage but is built with modern precision, reliability and function.

Each of the new Black Panther Design Lab Snares are built with the Mapex 10-lug hoops, Puresound premium snare wires, Cylinder-Drive Strainer, and SONIClear Bearing edges.
    The new Armory Series Sabre Snare is 14x5.5, with a 6.15mm Maple/Walnut Hybrid (7-Ply) shell - so basically the Peacemaker in black.
    Mapex Armory - Photon Blue
    Mapex VXB kit - Transparent Black
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Paiste Alpha & RUDE cymbals
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

I feel like Mapex are kinda loosing "it"

a lot of slight changes (sometimes not good changes) and rebadging going on with snares

User Info Menu

Man I am really salivating over this Saturn, love the older badges and miss my old Saturn I had a few years back plus the yellow sparkle has always beein gorgeous IMO. Problem is I have a great Premier Elite, and a decent sonor 2007 with a 20" kick but am not blown away by the kick so I am thinking maybe if I can get this saturn for $600 I could then sell the 2007 for $400 or so? hmmmmmmmmapex yellow.jpg
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Man I am really salivating over this Saturn, love the older badges and miss my old Saturn I had a few years back plus the yellow sparkle has always beein gorgeous IMO. Problem is I have a great Premier Elite, and a decent sonor 2007 with a 20" kick but am not blown away by the kick so I am thinking maybe if I can get this saturn for $600 I could then sell the 2007 for $400 or so? hmmmmmmmmapex yellow.jpg
    I would do it in a heartbeat.

User Info Menu

im trying to sell a saturn but with better shell sizes and a better finish

payed $1000 I cant get $300 for it FML

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    im trying to sell a saturn but with better shell sizes and a better finish

payed $1000 I cant get $300 for it FML
    There are better shell sizes and finishes? I have noticed Saturns resale value has gone done quite a bit since I sold mine about 5 years ago. Must be all the changes and those new badges which I personally hate.. Love the new finishes and the sound edge bearing blah blah blah but they should really ditch that new logo IMO.

pacman.gif
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I joined the Mapex family in an big way with a brand new 7pc Mapex Saturn V in red Strata Pearl! I got 8x7, 10x7, 12x8, 13x10, 16x14 & 22x18! I am truly in drum love!!!
    -Tama Granstar II (12x11, 16x16, 22x16)
    -Yamaha 7000 Series (12x8, 13x9, 16x16 22x18)
    -Crush Sublime E3 (12x8, 16x14, 24x17)
    -Pearl Mixed Series kit (8x7, 10x8, 15x13, 20x14)
    -Brady Jarrah Ply 8x14
    -HHG Purpleheart/Cherry Stave 7x14
    -HHG Red Birch Stave 7x14
    -Pearl Masters MCX 5.5x14
    -Pearl Steel (Pre-Sensitone) 6.5x14
    -Pearl Vintage Professional Series 6.5x14
    -Tama Imperialstar Seamless Steel 6.5x14
    -Tama Soundworks Maple 6.5x14
    -Premier (African Mahogany with Beech Re-rings) 8x14
    -Remo Bravo II 5.5x14
    -OCDP Maple 6x14
    -Crush Aluminum 5.5x14
    -Crush 10 ply Maple 6x14
    -Trixon Birch 5.5x14
    -Wuhan Traditional Cymbals
    -Paiste 2002, 602,

User Info Menu

the blue galaxy finish and a 22x18 kick

imho better finish and a better size kick drum

saturn 4 is better than saturn 5 ..like lots of things its personal taste

User Info Menu

the blue galaxy finish and a 22x18 kick

imho better finish and a better size kick drum

I got a mixture of both saturn 4 and 5. I agree about the badges but hey, oh well! I should be getting my 8x8 tom next month.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    I got a mixture of both saturn 4 and 5. I agree about the badges but hey, oh well! I should be getting my 8x8 tom next month.
    Gorgeous.............Still not a fan of the badges............but they are better than the previous one

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Gorgeous.............Still not a fan of the badges............but they are better than the previous one
    Update: Just got a email from the store that ordered my 8X8 Saturn ash burl tom w/FedEx tracking num. I've been waiting since Nov. 2015! They (Mapex) better have it right this time!!!

User Info Menu

Update: Just got a email from the store that ordered my 8X8 Saturn ash burl tom w/FedEx tracking num. I've been waiting since Nov. 2015! They (Mapex) better have it right this time!!!
    Woohoo. Let's hope!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

That yellow sparkle finish is GORGEOUS! Wouldn't that look great on stage under lights?

I agree with everybody else on the new badge design - awkward and odd looking. Not at all classy like the earlier Sats.

Mapex has made tremendous leaps in quality over the years. I bought a brand new set of Saturns when Mapex first appeared on the scene. I think I kept that kit for only a few months. I worked in a music store at the time, and despite trying every head configuration that we had in the store, I just could not make them sing. Once Mapex made a change in wood type, though, the drums really came alive, and remain to this day one of the best series in the price range.

As for Mapex being in a funk, isn't that true of drum manufacturers in general? Over the last twenty years or so we've seen incredible developments in hardware, fixtures, shell technologies, finishes, and practically everything that a drum set consists of. Today, once a surprisingly-low-dollar threshold has been met, there are practically NO bad drums or hardware.

Where does that leave manufacturers and designers once the apex of drum-making has been achieved? Try another bearing edge angle? Invent a drum that changes its own heads? Create a snare drum that cannot go out of tune - once somebody figures out what "in tune" means?

Where do they go from here? I have NO idea.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Just got a email from the store that ordered my 8X8 Saturn ash burl tom w/FedEx tracking num. I've been waiting since Nov. 2015!
    That's absurd !
    All drum-makers should be able to deliver within 6 months.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

My Gretsch kit took 6 months almost to the date I put in my order. Two years for a 8x8" tom? Wow!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    My Gretsch kit took 6 months almost to the date I put in my order.
    I can testify the same was true in 1977.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I can finally close the chapter on my Saturn 8x8 tom I have it safe and in good hands! I'll post picks of my full set in the future, rack mounted, I think since I haven't done it yet. Right now I'm finishing my custom catalina Gretsch mod 'Black Widow' set right now.Working on final touches.

User Info Menu

I can finally close the chapter on my Saturn 8x8 tom I have it safe and in good hands! I'll post picks of my full set in the future, rack mounted, I think since I haven't done it yet. Right now I'm finishing my custom catalina Gretsch mod 'Black Widow' set right now.Working on final touches.
    Congrats Doc! Can't wait to see the 8x8" on the Mapex kit. Now you got my curiosity up...Catalina Gretsch mod huh?

User Info Menu

Why do you say this?
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

I'd be interested to know as well?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dodeska View Post
    I saw there were additions to the BP snares & a new Armory snare.

The Black Panther Design Lab series:

The new Armory Series Sabre Snare is 14x5.5, with a 6.15mm Maple/Walnut Hybrid (7-Ply) shell - so basically the Peacemaker in black.
    The Tomahawk snare is supposed to be amazing but I haven't gotten to play one yet. I don't know about the other new editions. I think part of the reason behind all the snare changes is that their new Armory kit comes with a Tomahawk but if you don't like it you can change it out for any other Armory snare.
    I don't put a face on God. So he would probably look like Jimi Hendrix.
    - Chad Smith
    Everyone's screwed up in their own special way.
    Joey Ramone

User Info Menu

ten years old and still rock solid like day one

User Info Menu

Why do you say this?
    meant to actually say 3 is better than 4 and its because i don't like the newer lug design .

User Info Menu

meant to actually say 3 is better than 4 and its because i don't like the newer lug design .
    You know,itchie I totally agree. I was ready to pull the trigger on one (a 3), but someone beat me to it! It was on line and the one thing that caught my eye was the tom mount and lug design. I like the way you could take the mounts off and on easily. I bet you could take the mounts off the bottom of your fl/tom and put them on top and suspend it on a rack. I love options like that! The newer ones you can't. The second thing was the finish. I'm not a sparkle person myself,but it was baby blue,sort of different.

User Info Menu

ten years old and still rock solid like day one
    Looks awesome!
    I don't put a face on God. So he would probably look like Jimi Hendrix.
    - Chad Smith
    Everyone's screwed up in their own special way.
    Joey Ramone