Thread: DW Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: DW Drums Discussion

Way cool vid. Thanks for posting.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Hi All,
    I am now the proud owner of a Design Series in Tobacco Burst. I am still dialing in the tuning with the factory heads, but I welcome any suggestions on how to get the best sound out of these beauties!

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Hey nub congrats! What factory heads came with the Design Series kit? Is it the DW/Remo coated/clear? If yes, let them sing out and don't use any dampening. If no, did the kit come with the clear heads like Redeye's Design kit? If the Design Series came with Remo UT (Taiwan) stocker's I'd wear them out while you hunt down some sound samples of different heads. The Evans website has sound clips of different batters and I found it the most helpful to narrow the sound I had in my head.

DW/Remo coated/clear batter heads:

Remo UT heads:

RV426sL.jpg
    Last edited by late8; 04-03-2017 at 09:48 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nubdrummer View Post
    Hi All,
    I am now the proud owner of a Design Series in Tobacco Burst. I am still dialing in the tuning with the factory heads, but I welcome any suggestions on how to get the best sound out of these beauties!
    Beautiful set ! love the finish on it . Congrats !!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Hey nub congrats! What factory heads came with the Design Series kit? Is it the DW/Remo coated/clear? If yes, let them sing out and don't use any dampening. If no, did the kit come with the clear heads like Redeye's Design kit? If the Design Series came with Remo UT (Taiwan) stocker's I'd wear them out while you hunt down some sound samples of different heads. The Evans website has sound clips of different batters and I found it the most helpful to narrow the sound I had in my head.

Remo UT heads:
    Are the heads on my Design Series UT versions? I'm not sure. I've had several new kits with UT heads, and they always specifically say UT and "Made in Taiwan" like this:

UTLogo.JPG

These heads just say Remo and DW, so I'm confused. They sound good, but not great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    Are the heads on my Design Series UT versions? I'm not sure. I've had several new kits with UT heads, and they always specifically say UT and "Made in Taiwan" like this:

UTLogo.JPG

These heads just say Remo and DW, so I'm confused. They sound good, but not great.
    From DW (not really specific):

Clearly the top choice on every drummer's wish list this year. They're the first acrylics to receive the DW moniker. The transparent 5MM thick extruded, seamless acrylic shells are outfitted with pro features such as STM (Suspension Tom Mounts), True-Pitch® Tuning, MAG™ Throw-Off, F.A.S.T. (Fundamentally Accurate-Sized Toms), and DW Heads™ by REMO®. as shown - 18x22" bass drum, 14"x16" floor tom, 8"x10" & 9"x12" toms and 5.5"x14" snare drum (hardware and cymbals sold separately).▼

User Info Menu

Hi All,
    WOW, Very, very nice. Stunning finish and great brand choice!!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Unfortunately my cell phone and poor lighting make pictures that don't nearly do these drums justice. They are truly beautiful. To answer the above posts, the stock heads appear to be Remo UT, although all they say on them is DW and Remo. The toms sound good, and the snare and kick sound really good. The bass head is a Powerstroke 3. I will probably change out all the heads to Evans, starting with G2s on the toms, but I'll get some use out of these first.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Unfortunately my cell phone and poor lighting make pictures that don't nearly do these drums justice. They are truly beautiful. To answer the above posts, the stock heads appear to be Remo UT, although all they say on them is DW and Remo. The toms sound good, and the snare and kick sound really good. The bass head is a Powerstroke 3. I will probably change out all the heads to Evans, starting with G2s on the toms, but I'll get some use out of these first.
    I love that fade finish! Welcome to the DW family! I had a kit that had a tobacco burst ('06 Pearl Sessions all birch) and I regret selling it. Seeing your kit brings back those memories! (sighs)....
    Last edited by late8; 04-04-2017 at 09:44 AM.

User Info Menu

Are there any other drum manufacturers that are this thorough? I'm wondering if the complex in this video is where they make the Collectors Series, LE's, and custom orders only or do they do all series in here?.

RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Pretty impressive, kind of reminds me of a Harley Davidson tour I did once. Pretty cool that he knew just about everyone's names' too. Seems like a decent guy
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    Are there any other drum manufacturers that are this thorough? I'm wondering if the complex in this video is where they make the Collectors Series, LE's, and custom orders only or do they do all series in here?.

Every Collectors kit is made to order. There are no production Collectors kits except the limited edition "Timeless Timber" and "Anniversary" kits. Everything but the Design series is made at the Oxnard plant. Just to clarify that, every Collectors kit is a custom kit. Even the one on display at GC. DW's production kits are the US made Performance and the China made Design.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

Slinky, what are you referring to as "LE's"?

User Info Menu

Think he means Limited Edition
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Well after 11 years of playing I have finally scratched the itch and am now a DW Collectors owner. ( Special shout out to Late8 for turning me on to reverb just in time)

I Just got my new to me 3pc gorgeous green sparkle kit unboxed. I will need to change the bass drum heads asI am not a big fan of fibreskyn heads but the bass drum sounds pretty good even with those thick heads on it. The floor tom sounds thunderous, easily the best 16 floor tom I have ever owned and the 13 sounds great as all DW collector 13"s do IMO. I will need to change the heads on that one as well. Not much time to set up and actually play these initial opinions are from just tapping them out of the box. I will take more pics when I get it all set up to play.

Not sure how to rotate these pics?

Kit sizes are BD 24 x 16, Rack tom 13 x 9, and floor tom 16 x 16. will hope to get a matching snare down the road. I paid $1850 including shipping.

dw1.jpg
    dw3.jpg
    dw5.jpg
    next to my Premier kit
    dw8.jpg
    Last edited by MDK; 04-10-2017 at 07:27 PM.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Well after 11 years of playing I have finally scratched the itch and am now a DW Collectors owner. ( Special shout out to Late8 for turning me on to reverb just in time)

I Just got my new to me 3pc gorgeous green sparkle kit unboxed. I will need to change the bass drum heads asI am not a big fan of fibreskyn heads but the bass drum sounds pretty good even with those thick heads on it. The floor tom sounds thunderous, easily the best 16 floor tom I have ever owned and the 13 sounds great as all DW collector 13"s do IMO. I will need to change the heads on that one as well. Not much time to set up and actually play these initial opinions are from just tapping them out of the box. I will take more pics when I get it all set up to play.

Not sure how to rotate these pics?

Kit sizes are BD 24 x 16, Rack tom 13 x 9, and floor tom 16 x 16. will hope to get a matching snare down the road. I paid $1850 including shipping.

dw1.jpg
    dw3.jpg
    dw5.jpg
    next to my Premier kit
    dw8.jpg
    Well,well,well, congrats!! I'm really happy for ya,man! I don't own a DW kit but I've played them. Very nice kit. Can't wait to see it all set up!

User Info Menu

MDK, congrats! I'm so happy for you and thanks for the shout out! They look brand new. I wish I still had a 24" bass drum in my arsenal. The green sparkle finish is so cool. My first kit was in green sparkle. Welcome to the DW family and I know you'll hang on to this kit for a long time!

dw1.jpg

dw3.jpg

dw8.jpg

Order the DW/Remo coated/clear stock heads and tune the resos to the timbre pitch marked on each shell. The stock heads make the Collector's series really "sing" out and the prices are comparable to buying any aftermarket heads. My Collector's kit came with stock heads that were worn out so I ordered all new batters and resos heads including heads for the kick and it was well worth it. The stock heads are single ply 10mil.

By going stock, this will give you a "starting point" on how DW timbre matched the shell grouping for your kit. If you want to go a different direction, at least you have an idea how they intended the kit to sound from the factory. I've used Evans EC2 clears over Evans G1 and I also went with Evans blue hydraulics over G1 clear. Both of those head combinations gave me favorable results but I'm going back to putting the stock heads back on as soon as I get some time.

User Info Menu

Beautiful kit! I dig it. The green reminds me of Ireland! I bet that 24" will sound magical when you get it tuned up properly. Just thunderous! - CCD
    Cut it large and kick it into place!

User Info Menu

Thanks guys. Hey late I was leaning towards those dw stock heads so thanks for the info. Did you go with the dw stock batter on the kick as well? Did you port it? I wonder if dw can tell me if this kit came with clears or coateds heads? I believe the 13" is timbre "B" but cannot recall the other 2 at the moment.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Thanks guys. Hey late I was leaning towards those dw stock heads so thanks for the info. Did you go with the dw stock batter on the kick as well? Did you port it? I wonder if dw can tell me if this kit came with clears or coateds heads? I believe the 13" is timbre "B" but cannot recall the other 2 at the moment.
    Yes, I went with the new stock batter on the kick and went with a white head for the reso since the kit came with a ebony reso. The reso is vented with 3 holes on the left and right side of the head. I didn't port any of the DW resos for the kick since I have 22" reso heads with ports cut into them. I want to compare the vented reso with a ported head and recorded the kit with the vented reso and it sounded great.

The Collector's receive the coated/clears from the factory. The description of the stock heads confused me since DW uses a backslash as in "coated/clear" but the only thing that is coated is what appears to be a control ring around the edge of the batter. The middle of the coated/clear heads are clear. The entire cost of the head swap for the DW stocks heads including the white reso was $265 USD. I had to pay sales tax (8.5%) and $20.00 shipping since I bought the heads at my local mom and pop music store. You can find them cheaper online and avoid the sales tax or shipping if you find the right online retailer. I'll go that route if I need to buy new heads.

Last edited by late8; 04-11-2017 at 01:40 PM.

User Info Menu

continued....

Neil Peart used the stock coated/clear DW heads on his toms, kick batter and gong drum. Here's an over-head of the R40 kit:

Same heads on the Time Machine kit:

Last edited by late8; 04-11-2017 at 04:31 PM.

User Info Menu

MDK that is a cool kit! Love the color. Is that a sparkle? It looks like green glass glitter. Loving the sizes too. Check out the DW vintage logo reso for the bass. Standard coated 10 mil. It makes my 24" look super cool and sound great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SunDog View Post
    MDK that is a cool kit! Love the color. Is that a sparkle? It looks like green glass glitter. Loving the sizes too. Check out the DW vintage logo reso for the bass. Standard coated 10 mil. It makes my 24" look super cool and sound great.
    Thanks man, yeah you are correct it is Green Broken Glass not Green sparkle. Really looks nice and was the exact sizes I have been wanting for a long time but have always had to settle in one way or another. I would love a Vintage logo as well, I just ordered all batters last night and will order reso's next week. Having a hard time finding the dw clear reso's and am thinking it may be easier to just order ambassador clears for the tom reso's? How good are the dw reso's?

I also discovered this last night, while taking apart the 13" and cleaning it up, checking tightness of mounting screws etc and saw the wrap cut away and folded evenly around where the heads seat. No bulky seam, I have only had one other wrapped kit (ludwig keystone) and I do not remember them doing this although I could be wrong. Anyone else seen this on other wrapped kits?

20170412_053335.jpg
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Having a hard time finding the dw clear reso's and am thinking it may be easier to just order ambassador clears for the tom reso's? How good are the dw reso's?
    You can order heads directly from DW. As far as answering your question about the quality of the DW resos...you're basically buying Remo USA heads with a DW logo. I'm OCD about matching stuff up so I went with DW batter and reso heads.

As far as the lap seam, my Collector's have the "Exotic" veneer ply and and there is no cut-away.

The re-ring is not overlapped either:

Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (10.6 KB, 52 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (13.6 KB, 51 views)
    Last edited by late8; 04-12-2017 at 08:52 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanks man, yeah you are correct it is Green Broken Glass not Green sparkle. Really looks nice and was the exact sizes I have been wanting for a long time but have always had to settle in one way or another. I would love a Vintage logo as well, I just ordered all batters last night and will order reso's next week. Having a hard time finding the dw clear reso's and am thinking it may be easier to just order ambassador clears for the tom reso's? How good are the dw reso's?

I also discovered this last night, while taking apart the 13" and cleaning it up, checking tightness of mounting screws etc and saw the wrap cut away and folded evenly around where the heads seat. No bulky seam, I have only had one other wrapped kit (ludwig keystone) and I do not remember them doing this although I could be wrong. Anyone else seen this on other wrapped kits?

20170412_053335.jpg
    That cut out comes from Del Mar the supplier that way. It's a test patch they cut out for color matching different batches. When I ordered my black glass glitter one of the sheets came with this same cut out. Not sure why they used that section. I cut that section off when I did mine. I would have thought DW would do the same. DW reso heads are top notch. Made in the US, crimp lock style, 10 mil Remo ambassadors.