Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: preferred placement ?

User Info Menu

Default preferred placement ?

most likely this has been talked about before but does anyone care or not care where you put the label of the head on your drums?

I usually line up the tom heads with the badges but on my snare i put it at around the 2 o' clock position. There is a reason for me doing this but for sanities sake I'll keep it to myself

Thought it be fun to ask after i saw a drummer that had one at the 9 o'clock position on one of his toms. Just looked kind of weird.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Default Re: preferred placement ?

12 O' clock on all.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Snare and toms facing outward away from me at about 12 o'clock, kick at the top ...

User Info Menu

Must be lined up with the drum's badges
    IMG_0590.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Must be lined up with the drum's badges
    IMG_0590.jpg
    Except if rack mounted, then the mounts. 12 0'clock position.

User Info Menu

12 o'clock---I have a friend who doesn't pay attention, and the logos are all over the place---makes me nuts when I have to play his kit!

100_5825.jpg

User Info Menu

Mine are all lined up with drum badges.

User Info Menu

Snare drums 12 o clock throw on right side, toms and bass drum don't matter.

User Info Menu

12 o' clock position for batter AND reso heads.

Sometimes I remove my 10" tom and just play 1 up, 1 down - when I relocate the 12" tom the head logos are now in the 'wrong' position. I remove both heads on the 12" tom,
    and re-assemble and retune with the heads at 12 o' clock every time I do this. Failing to comply is against the law and very, very wrong.

User Info Menu

12 o'clock on all for me
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Yep, 12 O Clock when on a rack. In line with the badges when not

24131283_10155310360353869_1710208430502588197_n by Kevin Frost, on Flickr
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

In my playing days, they were lined up according to where the blondes were. That means that the up tom might be lined up at the 11 o'clock position, 1 might be at the 2 o'clock position, the FT's were usually at the 1:30 and 1:45 position, the snare stand was set to rotate to follow them wherever they might be going.

Now that we are back at head science, my suggestion would be to place the heads on the drums, close your eyes, turn the heads (that is, of course, before you put the rims on) and where they land, leave them there. Who knows, someday 1 might point to a blonde. She might be 5'2" and weigh in at 450lbs, but she will be a blonde.

If your ride to the gig was a back hoe, you will be OK. If it was a Kia, pack a lunch.

Bottom Line: Who really gives a damn????

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Those of us with OCD.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Those of us with OCD.
    Can 1 be obsessive and compulsive at the same time, and why is it a disorder. G.A.S. would, to me, be a disorder that costs some on the forum a lot of money, sometimes in the K's a year.

If you look at it that way, lining up the drumheads a certain way and washing your hands 15-20 times a day, probably isn't such a big deal and doesn't cost as much.

Try living with PTSD for 47 years if you really want some fun. Deal with it for a week and you will go running back to OCD and be glad that's all you have to deal with.

User Info Menu

Huh?!!

It's very important!

You wouldn't want the FORD logo on your 'Stang to be upside down or askew would you?

all the best...

User Info Menu

Huh?!! It's very important

You wouldn't want the FORD logo on your Stang to be upside down or askew would you?

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kevaruka View Post

Has to be 12 o'clock when facing each drum---that floor tom would make me crazy!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Huh?!! It's very important

You wouldn't want the FORD logo on your Stang to be upside down or askew would you?

all the best...
    When the drums are set up, the only person to see where the logo's are is the drummer and whoever is riding shotgun.

If the logo's on my Stang were upside down, I think that someone besides me might notice.

User Info Menu

I've always placed mine exactly between the lugs where the air hole is. Don't know why...just always have, so yeah, seem a little weird if they were positioned any other way.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Since heads & shells are not perfectly round, the FIRST thing I do is spin the head on the shell. If there's a spot where the head feels the most loose and free, that's were it gets installed. Regardless of where the logo is.
    If there is no specific place and the head spins freely for 360*, then I line the logo up with the badges.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

^ Now that makes some sense anyway.

User Info Menu

Logos lined up with the badges at 12:00:

birdseye8-2-14_zps2d5e83ee.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kevaruka View Post

I see drums in the kitchen... must be a bachelor
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    I see drums in the kitchen... must be a bachelor
    I thought about putting my drums in the kitchen...it's the one place my wife rarely sets foot...
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Some great set up's there guys....as i'm still learning i don't have a real kit yet....just my Yamaha DTX 502 which is serving a purpose but can't wait to eventually own a proper Acoustic Kit...i have the electronic kit for practice purposes only as the walls are thin on my house and it's practical, hopefully next year i am going to soundproof one of my sheds and move my gear outdoors...a work in progress