Thread: Reggae Drumming

User Info Menu

Default Reggae Drumming

I found this nice lesson on reggae drumming and feel. Accent on "feel"... which is so often overlooked in drumming.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFVhnT5rHV8"]YouTube - REAL reggae drum lessons(and more styles to come)[/ame]

User Info Menu

Default Re: Reggae Drumming

reggae drumming is hard for even the best of us... this is a good lesson for anyone who is looking to take up reggae, its very involved, and very particular. technique is everything when playing this stuff, and this guy explains it very well.

great find drummer... i like all of the captions, some were hilarious!

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting Tom. I've been into alot of reggae lately like Bob Marley and Sublime, but having some trouble really grasping that "feel" being discussed in this video.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

I reckon BLD would get a kick out of this vid!

AIR BASS! YEAAHHHH!

Other than that, I agree with DD. Very good lesson, I've always been interested in reggae.
    - Zack

Larrysperf Guest

Thank you very good vid. Nuff Said

User Info Menu

Love reggae!!! Great video and explanation. Thanks!!
    bruarm - Mapex Mafia
    Mapex Pro M fusion kit natural finish
    Zildjians:
    14" K Custom Dark hats
    14" K Heavy Ride
    10" & 12" A fast splashes
    14", 16" & 18" A fast crashes
    Pearl Eliminator double kick
    Pearl free-floater brass snare (the deep one!!)
    not one, but 2 cowbells!!

User Info Menu

crack up vid and way cool.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post
    I've been into alot of reggae lately like Bob Marley and Sublime,
    Wait..wait..wait..SUBLIME??? reggaeish at best..more ska feel I think..Fun stuff..I listened to alot of their stuff back in the day. -Les

Interesting vid. My new band has been talking about adding alittle reggae feel to some of our new material. I have played the style before..now I think I will pay more attention to the feel along with the mechanics.

User Info Menu

I like that! don't have much opportunity to play Reggae with a band but would be nice for my own at home enjoyment. Thanks, Drummer!
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

I've tried playin a reggae beat on bass with other white folks and it always comes off more as calypso. All because of the "feel". It's gotta penetrate through the whole band or it don't work.

Rastaman!
    Last edited by CharlyG; 02-26-2009 at 03:49 PM.
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

My band is currently doing the following:
    Three Little Birds
    I Shot the Sheriff
    I'm Yours (Jason Mraz - original is not reggae in drums, but we do it that way)
    Summer in the City (Joe Co-cker version, reggae verses)

When we started these, I had the mechanics down, but my feel was not that good. Same with Latin and straight ahead jazz when I first got into those. I have a cable company that gives us 100 channels of music, so I left it on the reggae station for 3 or 4 days and played it in the background. This helped a bunch. Reggae beats are actually way easier mechanically than most other beats. The fills are tricky, but once you get 3 or 4 down, you are good to go.

User Info Menu

"simple music is the hardest to play" a quote from some old fellow long ago. He added, "and blues is simple music." I would add reggae to that.

Feelings, nothing mo......oops got carried away!!
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lesizmor View Post
    Wait..wait..wait..SUBLIME??? reggaeish at best..more ska feel I think..Fun stuff..I listened to alot of their stuff back in the day. -Les

Interesting vid. My new band has been talking about adding alittle reggae feel to some of our new material. I have played the style before..now I think I will pay more attention to the feel along with the mechanics.
    Listen to some songs like The Ballad of Johnny Butt and Get Ready, you'll see what I mean. I like the reggae side of Sublime more than their ska, punk side.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

This really helps. I tried covering Stir It Up and I wasn't happy with it, even though I didn't care to play reggae. When we played it live I was disgusted with how it sounded and I knew it was my fault. Now that the band has reformed they want to do some all reggae sets. I think I'm better prepared now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lesizmor View Post
    All the reggae junkies I know listen to Sublime religiously. Most of their radio hits were the ska-ish stuff, everything else is pretty reggae. I see more reggae influence than ska in all their stuff. I see what you're saying though, but I think that just comes from taking reggae and making it more rock in style.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Awww man, the curse of Reggae! (or the blessing) I learned drums playing to Stu Copeland, so that one AND two AND three AND feel became a foundational part of my playing! I'm always playing the off beat on the bell of my ride, and I have to consciously think to play straight time without an off-time accent somewhere!

This white boy was in a reggae band for a short time, and musically, it felt comfortable, though dealing with other reggae players is an experience in itself! I'm surprised any reggae bands make it anywhere to play intact as a band, let alone record.
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

Great video i've been searching for Reggae drumming tips.

User Info Menu

If you want to learn more about Reggae drumming, check out " WICKED BEATS" a DVD by GIL SHARONE (Hudson Music). It gives you the full history of REGGAE, JAMACIAN SKA, AND ROCKSTEADY drumming. He also has a butt load of demonstrations. CHECK IT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!

User Info Menu

Gil Sharone is a legend. So are all the reggae drummers that you need to hear. Of course, for me, my start was Stewart Copeland. Oh, how I used to struggle with this song, my first intoduction to reggae playing....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk4WRhPQuyo"]The Police - Walking On The Moon (Live 1983) - YouTube[/ame]
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8