Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cymbal cutting.

User Info Menu

Default cymbal cutting.

so i have seen drummers cut their cymbals around a crack and they say it preserves it for a while. have any of you guys ever hear of that? thought i should get a few opinions before i go for it. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Default Re: cymbal cutting.

try drilling a hole at the end of the crack to stop it from going any further

User Info Menu

Hey Tewks, Sorry I can't help ya bud. I have some old messed up cymbals that I wanna cut down itno effects like splashes and bells ad such. Just gotta get the cajones to do it.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

This was standard practice many years ago. Trace a shallow curve outward from top of the crack and cut out with tin snips. Use a rasp to take the burrs off the cut edge.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

you basically cut out the crack. drilling a hole at the end of it will just preserve it for a few months maybe a year but it'll keep cracking. cutting it out is a solution not a preservant.

User Info Menu

oh and cycle dude: cutting a cymbal down into a smaller size - like a splash - will make it sound gongy and without additional hammering will most likely sound pretty rubbish.

User Info Menu

cool thanks guys!

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jack's_art View Post
    oh and cycle dude: cutting a cymbal down into a smaller size - like a splash - will make it sound gongy and without additional hammering will most likely sound pretty rubbish.
    sorry I disagree I have heard some that have been cut down and sounded pretty darn good. But yes some will not so I 1/2 agree lol Nuff said. Guy I know how repairs cymbals cut one to look like batman logo and it sounded pretty good lol

User Info Menu

my drum bud has cut down cymbals that were cracked before, some have worked out good, some were just goof offs. I had a couple of old, cheap paper thin crashes that had cracked he cut down, and we turned into effect cymbals. Only problem is i can't add them to my kit until i get a couple more cymbal ad on things

User Info Menu

I have a cut down Paiste 602 to 10". I use as a bottom for my 10" mini-hats. Sounds great!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jack's_art View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    sorry I disagree I have heard some that have been cut down and sounded pretty darn good. But yes some will not so I 1/2 agree lol Nuff said. Guy I know how repairs cymbals cut one to look like batman logo and it sounded pretty good lol
    Well, They're pretty rubbish already, so i really have nothing to lose.

Hey Larry, I know a drummer who's a batman nut. Any info on that bat cymbal?
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    I know how repairs cymbals cut one to look like batman logo and it sounded pretty good lol
    what bit would I need for my dremel?

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    Well, They're pretty rubbish already, so i really have nothing to lose.

Hey Larry, I know a drummer who's a batman nut. Any info on that bat cymbal?
    Ill Pm you his site

User Info Menu

Thanks Lar, I just emailed him.
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Today I was cleaning my cymbals after last nights gig and noticed my 15" K custom hybrid crash is cracked (it's about 2 yrs old now) arrrggghhhh.. I am gonna try to cut it out using a dremel I think.20170326_191743.jpg
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Wow, sorry to hear that. At least its small enough you can notch it without losing too much.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Today I was cleaning my cymbals after last nights gig and noticed my 15" K custom hybrid crash is cracked (it's about 2 yrs old now) arrrggghhhh.. I am gonna try to cut it out using a dremel I think.20170326_191743.jpg
    For my Wuhan china, I used an air powered die grinder with a thin cut off wheel. Very fast and easy to use. Then I attached a coarse buffing of to smooth the edges.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I could go two ways with this. A) outline a small half circle and cut it out with the thin disc wheel or B) use the die grinding wheel starting at the edge and grind it down which in the end will probably leave the same if not smaller semi circle. Thoughts?20170327_103959.jpg
    20170327_103935.jpg
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I would probably get the crack out of the way first with the wheel, kind of like a V shape, and then use the grinding bit to shape it into a semicircle.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Man...that just sucks!!

User Info Menu

I've successfully removed a small edge crack like that with a sanding flap wheel - the sandpaper quickly removes the metal with minimal heat build up and as the sandpaper 'wraps around' the edge of the cymbal as you go so there are no sharp edges remaining. The cymbal I sanded down is a B20 Stagg Furia 16" crash (which have a reputation for cracking easily) - its still going strong after 2 years with no sign of the crack reappearing in the repaired area.

For such a small edge crack I wouldn't use anything that snips away metal, either a sanding flap wheel or dremel tool is probably the safest way to go. As you aren't removing much metal the sound shouldn't be affected too much.

User Info Menu

I ended up drawing a semi circle and cutting with thin disc. Then I sanded and buffed it smooth. Came out pretty good and no noticeable sound difference. I wrote date on underside so I can see how long it lasts if it cracks again. Here are some pics of the process20170329_193029.jpg
    20170329_193655.jpg
    20170329_194011.jpg
    20170329_195249.jpg
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Just a suggestion;

IMG_0830.jpg
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Thanks N2...I was actually researching that same point (No pun intended) today.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy