Thread: Tuning a bass drum?

User Info Menu

Default Tuning a bass drum?

Hi,

If I tighten my bass drum up really tight what sound will it create vs loosening it almost all the way? Does this apply to my toms and snare as well?

Oh and how do I create that really nice pop, crack sound on my bass drum? For example if you listen to The Downfall of Us All by A Day To Remember that's the bass I am looking for.

Thanks!
    Well....what's the fun in that?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tuning a bass drum?

I listened to the song you mentioned, and I believe your looking for more of a meat slap type of sound from your kick. If so, make your kick drum head very slack. Thats what I do (but then again, I don't have a very good kick drum head at the moment), but you could also try making it a bit tighter, but not too tight.
    Good luck, and let us know what you find!
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

The best thing you can do when it comes to stuff like this is to try it yourself and see how it goes. There's only so much the written word can do to describe sounds and tuning concepts and the best way to truly know is to try it out for yourself. My opinion of course.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumRookie View Post
    I listened to the song you mentioned, and I believe your looking for more of a meat slap type of sound from your kick. If so, make your kick drum head very slack. Thats what I do (but then again, I don't have a very good kick drum head at the moment), but you could also try making it a bit tighter, but not too tight.
    Good luck, and let us know what you find!
    I tried tightening it and loosening it an both sides and came to the conclusion that loosening the front it gives me more of that "meat slap" sound you described, and tightening the back creates more of a "long bong" sound. My bass drum has a blanket in it, that's the way I bought it. If I take that out I can only assume the bass will have more of a "bong" sound. Is that right?
    Well....what's the fun in that?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post
    The best thing you can do when it comes to stuff like this is to try it yourself and see how it goes. There's only so much the written word can do to describe sounds and tuning concepts and the best way to truly know is to try it out for yourself. My opinion of course.
    I agree completely!

User Info Menu

+1 on that too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    +1 on that too.
    And change the beater to plastic instead of the softer felt and maybe use the Flam patch on the head.

User Info Menu

Yup...

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    And change the beater to plastic instead of the softer felt and maybe use the Flam patch on the head.
    ....and yup.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I also tune my kick pretty high, for rebound these days. It sounds different from behind the kit, but out front, it is every bit as punch and crack as it did have slack ( at least from what I can hear ) it just resonates a little more.

User Info Menu

Right on, here!
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

What seems to work for me is this. When tuning bass drum, take off the reso head. You then tinker with the drum getting the fundamental tone, attack and dampening that you want. Then put the reso back on and "sweeten to taste" so to speak.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Much like stick choice, a different beater will help hone in on a particular sound. Felt vs. Wood and also the shape. Falam pads also help get more punch out of the bass too. My beater is felt but is wedge shaped and can be used on it's flat side for a fatter sound or on it's edge for more punch. All this is just another option in tuning is not a cure all or shortcut to properly tuning the bass. Just some more options.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride