Thread: Latest CL find....another drum project

User Info Menu

Default Latest CL find....another drum project

I checked out an ad for "drums and drum parts" on CL yesterday. I drove for an hour, but it was worth it. The guy had over a dozen drum kits, timpani, roto-toms, xylophones and a garage FULL of marching snares and bass drums. He had some cool old vintage kits as well; an old Rogers 4pc, several old Slingerland Radio King kits with 28" bass, old Leedy kits and a couple MIJ stainless steel kits. He knew what everything was worth, but I did manage to leave with something;

The gold sparkle shells are 14x22, 16x16 and 9x13. The blue concert tom shell is 10x14. All are Ludwig early 70s 3ply wrapped (maple/poplar/mahogany) with rings. The 9x13 has a pretty bad bearing edge on one side, but there are no extra holes drilled in any of the shells. I paid $140 for all of them. Not a great deal, but not bad.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Default Re: Latest CL find....another drum project

Not a bad score at all! Looks like a fun project ahead of you.
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    "I shall either find a way or make one"

User Info Menu

I already stripped the wrap off the 22" bass and 16" floor Tom. It literally peeled right off in less than 20 minutes without hurting the mahogany outer ply. I already have a matching and complete 9x13 that's already been stripped. I'll use it, along with the 22" and 16" to make a complete kit. I think I'll go with a hand rubbed oil finish on the mahogany. I really like the vintage look.
    The blue 10x14 concert tom will be paired up with a 14x28 marching bass and another 16" concert tom that I already have. That will give me a 28/14/16 kit, which should be fun. The gold 9x13 in the picture is pretty rough. Not really worth fixing, however, I'll use the shell for a repair piece to fill a 1" diameter hole in my 28" bass shell.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

That sounds like a fun trip. Sometimes I think it would be fun to have lots of drums and buy sell parts but I'm a player not a builder.

User Info Menu

Very nice those will sound great,keep updating your progress

User Info Menu

if I had more time I'd love to do something like this also

User Info Menu

Better get your gears going, we are all going to be waiting for pics. I love restorations.

User Info Menu

nice score, those shells are sought after nowadays and are very close to the uber expensive Legacy kits sold today.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderjig View Post
    Better get your gears going, we are all going to be waiting for pics. I love restorations.
    I should be finishing my Jungle Kit project today, depending on the "Honey-do" list. The 22/13/16 will be next, since it's just refinishing and coming up with the money to buy the lugs & Spurs I'm missing.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

N2Bluz you should keep this guys information handy cause you never know when someone here on DC would be looking for vintage drum parts etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    N2Bluz you should keep this guys information handy cause you never know when someone here on DC would be looking for vintage drum parts etc.
    One step ahead of you! He's a music instructor and does instrument repair. We exchanged business cards and plan on keeping in touch. I may end up getting some other stuff from him. He has a lot of contacts in the local musician community and said he would help promote the annual music festival/jam that my band will be putting on in June.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Congrats N2Bluz - can't wait to see what you do with those Ludwig shells!