Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ringo Starr - Famous Drummers

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ringo Starr - Famous Drummers

I think I may have mentioned it earlier in the thread, but I think it is worth mentioning again that when they did the big Beatles Anthology thing on TV, I enjoyed the interviews with Ringo the most. He always seemed to have this really intelligent, wry wit in how he approached the whole thing.

I wonder what it must be like for Ringo or Paul and wake up in the morning and be able to say, "I was one of the Beatles." They single-handedly did more to change Rock & Roll music than anyone else in my opinion. I've never been one to fawn over their music, but I can certainly respect them for what they did.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Ringo is very well known of course, but amongst people here in their 20s he's best known for this:

I used to have to suffer watching all 52 episodes on video every weekend as my kids loved their "Thomas Sundays"!
    He narrated from 1984-89, and it pretty much revived his career as he was the least visible of the remaining Beatles.
    Mapex Armory - Photon Blue
    Mapex VXB kit - Transparent Black
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Paiste Alpha & RUDE cymbals
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

I liked it better when George Carlin or Didi Cohn di it LOL

User Info Menu

Ringo - It Dont Come Easy

Last edited by Olimpass; 05-12-2014 at 08:46 AM.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Olimpass;527034]Ringo - It Dont Come Easy

Wow.............for some reason, I always thought that was Gordon Lightfoot.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post
    I've never been one to fawn over their music, but I can certainly respect them for what they did.
    This is where I'm at. There will never be any hate of the Beatles coming from me, but I've just never really been into their music too much. Tons of respect and appreciation for what they accomplished, and what they are to the world of music though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dodeska View Post
    Ringo is very well known of course, but amongst people here in their 20s he's best known for this:

I used to have to suffer watching all 52 episodes on video every weekend as my kids loved their "Thomas Sundays"!
    He narrated from 1984-89, and it pretty much revived his career as he was the least visible of the remaining Beatles.
    Wow, I had no idea.

User Info Menu

Ringo also portrayed Mr. Conductor on Shining Time Station. George Carlin also played Mr. Conductor and narrated Thomas the Tank Engine and friends. Didi Khan also played the part of Stacy Jones on the show. Amazing. I't's not like I watched any of this stuff lol
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 03-30-2013 at 06:53 AM.

User Info Menu

Well Well Well - Ringo drums

Last edited by Olimpass; 04-13-2020 at 09:10 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ringo Starr

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Being famous and being truly good aren't the same thing.

Kim Kardashian is famous, but I have no idea what she's good for.
    I'd tell you but I'd probably get banned.

User Info Menu

more cool series stuff with Daniel Glass...mentions Ringo Starr

Last edited by Olimpass; 04-13-2020 at 09:12 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting the Ringo videos Olimpass. I didn't know Ringo leads with his left hand while drumming as a right handed drummer. I also found it interesting that he never pre-arranged his drumming but played soley on emotion and feel.

I find his fills mimicing the vocal line at times and to hear him say he couldn't duplicate a first take on a drum track for a second time was kind of a relief. I find myself banging my head against the wall when I'm working in the studio as I try to recreate the feeling I had on the first take. It's just never the same....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Thanks for posting the Ringo videos Olimpass. I didn't know Ringo leads with his left hand while drumming as a right handed drummer. I also found it interesting that he never pre-arranged his drumming but played soley on emotion and feel.

I find his fills mimicing the vocal line at times and to hear him say he couldn't duplicate a first take on a drum track for a second time was kind of a relief. I find myself banging my head against the wall when I'm working in the studio as I try to recreate the feeling I had on the first take. It's just never the same....
    Your welcome late8. Ringo explained he was a lefty playing a right handed set. I heard most english drummers were taught and or start left handed with their fills?

User Info Menu

I think Ringo's drum fills have stood the test of time and remain some of the most imaginative, original and 'perfect for the song' fills ever played.

User Info Menu

All Hail Ringo

Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

For all the acclaim he does receive, I still think he is underrated as a drummer. Truly, the backbeat and genesis of rock n' roll drumming as we still know it today.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by knopflerfan View Post
    For all the acclaim he does receive, I still think he is underrated as a drummer.
    I just don't agree. I believe he's more overrated than underrated. I could give hundreds of examples of drummers that play creative beats just like him. Then there are the guys that have more technique in their little finger than he has shown in his entire lifetime. I think we get way too caught up in tradition and status to the point where it almost becomes taboo to criticize someone so famous or at the very least put things in their real perspective. He is a great drummer who contributed a lot to the world of rock and roll, but that's about it. He is not the drum God that people make him out to be.

User Info Menu

Revolution

User Info Menu

Ringos playing is exactly how a drummer should support the music. Great fills, great back beats, he complimented the music great job as a drummer. He wrote and sang some great songs. He is an excellent musician. In addition to he's an outstanding human bean. The world would be a better place if people had his character and philosophy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I just don't agree. I believe he's more overrated than underrated. I could give hundreds of examples of drummers that play creative beats just like him. Then there are the guys that have more technique in their little finger than he has shown in his entire lifetime. I think we get way too caught up in tradition and status to the point where it almost becomes taboo to criticize someone so famous or at the very least put things in their real perspective. He is a great drummer who contributed a lot to the world of rock and roll, but that's about it. He is not the drum God that people make him out to be.
    I don't know who makes him out to be a drum God. Truth of the matter...he was one fourth of the greatest musical group of all time. That is something worthy of our consideration.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Nice HD video..Strawberry Fields Forever

User Info Menu

I'm not a Beatles fan...at all. However, I've always listened to Ringo's playing and thought, "How did he come up with that?" or "what made him think of playing it that way?". As odd as it is, it always works. It became as much a part of their sound as Lennon's writing. After hearing him talk about his own playing style...admitting that he tries to not be too busy and makes it up as he goes, I can directly relate. He seems like a nice & sincere guy as well. Very few famous musicians from that era have lasted without falling prey to the drugs, money and fame. I don't think he much cares if people criticize his ability or not. He's got nothing to prove and is laughing all the way to the bank.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    I don't know who makes him out to be a drum God. Truth of the matter...he was one fourth of the greatest musical group of all time. That is something worthy of our consideration.
    Well said..................

Consider this fact:
    Harrison/Lennon/McCartney agreed to take him in for their life-mission.
    That alone speaks volumes.
    Can you imagine ?
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I'm not a Beatles fan...at all. However, I've always listened to Ringo's playing and thought, "How did he come up with that?"
    It was the drugs.

Just teasin'.

User Info Menu

"Truth of the matter...he was one fourth of the greatest musical group of all time"

Surely you jest kay-gee. He was 1/4 of a band, that's about the size of it.