Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spalted Birch

User Info Menu

Default Spalted Birch

This may take a while to build out. The wood, which started out with a freshly cut down Birch tree on my street, has been drying in my shop for close to 2 years now. I have all the shells glued up and ready for the lathe. The kit should end up as 10X7 1\2" 12X8 1/2" 15X13" 24"X17" and a 14X6" snare.

First order of business was to give my table saw a good tune up. Made sure it was 100% level! new Freud Industrial ripping blade ($80 ouch) and adjust the blade so it is absolutely straight and true to the deck and the fence.

Pictured here are the 10,12 and 15. The 24" kick makes me nervous, I have never turned anything that big on the lathe. To make it a little easier and safer I am doing the kick in two segments which start out at 24.5" at 10" deep. Then after turn I will join the two shells to get the deeper kick drum.

click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Default Re: Spalted Birch

it's going to be a nice setup

User Info Menu

Holy smoke this is going to be awesome. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

User Info Menu

Wow. That grain and color is incredible. That would be awesome stained in a color...as opposed to natural or a brown/tan earth tone color. Either way, you can't lose. What are your plans?

Also, why the odd depths? I know you have your reasons.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Lovin' that grain!
    A 24" 2 pc. kick? Convertible or glued together? Gonna need a crane to lift it! would be different if it was convertible or 2 pc.s with luggage clasps to join each part!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

I've refurbished drums, refinished, re-wrapped but never built drums starting with a tree. What an awesome and rewarding project. What are you going to do for heads? Buy a cow?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Wow. That grain and color is incredible. That would be awesome stained in a color...as opposed to natural or a brown/tan earth tone color. Either way, you can't lose. What are your plans?

Also, why the odd depths? I know you have your reasons.
    Thanks, the depth is just a rough estimate based on the preset lug lengths.
    I can and may shorten the small tom lugs a bit and go more short stack depth in order to clear the large 24" kick.

The kick will only be constructed in two pieces, it will be a pretty standard sized 24". The two halves will be connected using some joinery and glue.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by signia fan View Post
    This may take a while to build out. The wood, which started out with a freshly cut down Birch tree on my street, has been drying in my shop for close to 2 years now. I have all the shells glued up and ready for the lathe. The kit should end up as 10X7 1\2" 12X8 1/2" 15X13" 24"X17" and a 14X6" snare.

First order of business was to give my table saw a good tune up. Made sure it was 100% level! new Freud Industrial ripping blade ($80 ouch) and adjust the blade so it is absolutely straight and true to the deck and the fence.

Pictured here are the 10,12 and 15. The 24" kick makes me nervous, I have never turned anything that big on the lathe. To make it a little easier and safer I am doing the kick in two segments which start out at 24.5" at 10" deep. Then after turn I will join the two shells to get the deeper kick drum.

Beautiful.

However, be careful if SpazApproved sees these. I'm pretty sure he'd want them.

You'd probably have to make another set to his specs.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Yeah, he seems to have a problem refraining from buying too many drums, not like you and me though, we have it totally under control.

User Info Menu

Love these project threads. Beautiful shells!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Yeah, he seems to have a problem refraining from buying too many drums, not like you and me though, we have it totally under control.
    Oh, yeah, totally.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

That would be such a fun and rewarding project. I'm looking forward to seeing the progress.
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    "I shall either find a way or make one"

User Info Menu

All I can say is......WOW!

User Info Menu

Shot of the kick drum laid out ready for glue. Each strip is 11" wide, amazing how much wood this used.

User Info Menu

How did you get the lumber from the tree? Is there a local saw mill that processed it for you?
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I did it. Rough cut a little with a chainsaw to get big knots out of the way and then I have a big wide blade on my bandsaw which cut the pieces into 1" thick slabs. Then after drying I have a thickness planer to even out out the pieces and level any pieces that warped while drying, not much of that in this batch though.
    It all dried nicely.

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Spalted Birch

I did it. Rough cut a little with a chainsaw to get big knots out of the way and then I have a big wide blade on my bandsaw which cut the pieces into 1" thick slabs. Then after drying I have a thickness planer to even out out the pieces and level any pieces that warped while drying, not much of that in this batch though.
    It all dried nicely.
    WOW!! That's amazing!! From tree to drum kit, all single handedly. I am impressed!
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    "I shall either find a way or make one"

User Info Menu

omg I CAN'T WAIT to see this!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Let's see...................that makes ALL OF US !

I'm not spooked by many machines................but a band saw is one of them.

Like the post above...............from tree to drum set.............awesome !
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I warned you many posts ago not to let him see this thread.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

It all dried nicely.
    I assume you asked your neighbor before cutting down their tree?
    I have a nice big Walnut tree in my back yard that makes a complete mess of everything within 50ft. It needs to be turned into drums.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Not always smooth sailing. I had the 15" floor all turned on the outside, it must have had a weak line in the spalting. The moment I touched the inside with the lathe knife it exploded. Then I lost the second half of the kick, luckily before any turning so I can salvage the kick wood to make a floor tom.
    Now to decide whether to just do a shallow kick, 24X 10" deep. Some builders I know have been raving about how much they like and prefer their short kick drums.

User Info Menu

Providing you have enough material left, what about mixing the Spalted Birch segments with something like Mahogany or oak on every other segment?
    -Brian

User Info Menu

I love this thread. Can't wait to see how it ends up. Keep up the fine work.

User Info Menu

Quite alot of work has been done, although at a glance it doesnt look much different.
    The kick drum extensions were turned, interlocked and glued today, bringing the 24" kick to a depth of 16".
    The re-rings have all been inlaid and sanded smooth, bearing edges are rough cut, 30 degree inner cut with a slight 45 on the outer. Kit is getting close to finish