Thread: stage communication

User Info Menu

Default stage communication

I get the point of watching what other people are doing and being on the same page... but... i can't be watching the whole time. it's distracting and looks amateurish imo.

After playing the same songs for 2 years if you don't have the feel yet without having to look at each other maybe something else is wrong.

People should play to the drummers feel and tempo regardless if it's off a couple bpm's... who's going to care?
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Default Re: stage communication

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    People should play to the drummers feel and tempo regardless if it's off a couple bpm's... who's going to care?
    This is what I tell my band members...................

"You might have the steering wheel, but I've got the gas and the brakes".
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

exactly.... i like that gas n brakes
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I can see that with new bands, but, by the 2 year mark, I spent more time watching the crowd (read that "the ladies") than the band members. By that time, everyone should not only be on the same page, they should be at the same sentence on said page.

Also, I have never held my sticks over my head and counted 1-2-3-4. That, to me, looks like a band at their 1st gig, and it also looks stupid.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    This is what I tell my band members...................

"You might have the steering wheel, but I've got the gas and the brakes".
    Love it!!

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post

Also, I have never held my sticks over my head and counted 1-2-3-4. That, to me, looks like a band at their 1st gig, and it also looks stupid.
    Guilty
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I also don't like being motioned to speed up or slow down.... that really looks ridiculous and is such a buzz kill.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Love it!!

Guilty
    Sorry 'bout that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    I also don't like being motioned to speed up or slow down.... that really looks ridiculous and is such a buzz kill.
    on the gig I do the front guy (and leader) of the band is also a drummer . Not a very good one but enough to get by playing trios where he sings and plays at the same time . On EVERY gig I do with him he will give me the "play softer" hand gesture and then as we get through the song he'll turn and tell me to play louder . I'll count off the song and as we start getting into it he'll yell into the mic "Pick it up ! Pick it up!" . On the break he'll tell me that the rest of the band didn't take their vitamins and that I'll have to pick up the tempo on the songs so that we don't .."sound like we're asleep" ! As if playing them faster will make them sound better . Or he'll tell me to tune the snare up tighter or something stupid just to make himself look good in front of his friends who start to compliment my playing . Very insecure person . But of course I don't do any of the things he tells me .
    I've been four years with this band , same bass player , guitar player and front man . And I STILL have to yell out when we're about to end the song . I still have to sing the melody to the songs for them before I count them off and sometimes yell out what key they're in so they don't screw it up from the get go ! There are videos of this on Youtube ! You would think they would be embarrassed by the fact that it's on video and go home and learn their stuff...you would think ! But it's just THIS band . The "pro" band . The other bands I play with aren't like this ... and they are the part time bands .
    WOW ! ... Thanks for letting me blow off some steam ...
    Rant over ..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    on the gig I do the front guy (and leader) of the band is also a drummer . Not a very good one but enough to get by playing trios where he sings and plays at the same time . On EVERY gig I do with him he will give me the "play softer" hand gesture and then as we get through the song he'll turn and tell me to play louder . I'll count off the song and as we start getting into it he'll yell into the mic "Pick it up ! Pick it up!" . On the break he'll tell me that the rest of the band didn't take their vitamins and that I'll have to pick up the tempo on the songs so that we don't .."sound like we're asleep" ! As if playing them faster will make them sound better . Or he'll tell me to tune the snare up tighter or something stupid just to make himself look good in front of his friends who start to compliment my playing . Very insecure person . But of course I don't do any of the things he tells me .
    I've been four years with this band , same bass player , guitar player and front man . And I STILL have to yell out when we're about to end the song . I still have to sing the melody to the songs for them before I count them off and sometimes yell out what key they're in so they don't screw it up from the get go ! There are videos of this on Youtube ! You would think they would be embarrassed by the fact that it's on video and go home and learn their stuff...you would think ! But it's just THIS band . The "pro" band . The other bands I play with aren't like this ... and they are the part time bands .
    WOW ! ... Thanks for letting me blow off some steam ...
    Rant over ..
    Tell him to pull his head in ,, if he still wont get the message a swift punch to the face will usually get it across,
    Guys a idiot make sure you treat him like one
    MY KIT
    LUDWIG CLASSIC MAPLE SALESMAN
    13, hanging toms,16 ,18 floor toms,24 Kick, 14x5.5 snare,
    CYMBALS
    Paiste 2002 ,22 big beat , 18 med , 18 crash , 16 crash , 18 china , 14 sound edge hats

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eddahenry View Post
    Tell him to pull his head in ,, if he still wont get the message a swift punch to the face will usually get it across,
    Guys a idiot make sure you treat him like one
    It was just a rant . He is an idiot ...but he keeps us working often and the pay is good . I do this for a living so yea I'll take the BS . I knew it coming in and it hasn't changed and it won't change . If I did what you suggested it would make me far less professional than he is and I would never get another gig in this town . Not to mention that I would wind up in jail ... and possibly deported !
    BUT I DO APPRECIATE THE SENTIMENT !

User Info Menu

I went to my friends practice last week and the singer kept telling the drummer to slow down, came in too late, using hand signals for speed up slow down, come in on snare not the hats. I asked my friend was the singer a drummer and he said no he doesn't play anything. I said ok, none of the other guys were complaining they thought and myself thought he was doing fine. These guys have been playing together for years and their own music. I don't get it. I'm in a cover band trio now for about a month and we never look at each other just focus on what your doing. I'm guilty of stick counting as well but on the hats not over my head.

User Info Menu

My band has been playing together for 3-4 years and we still talk on stage. We don't have to tell each other to speed up, play quieter, etc because that's not really a problem with us but we will look at each other to signal when to come out of a breakdown we've just written or something. Even then, it's still just eye contact. Hand signals look stupid.
    I don't put a face on God. So he would probably look like Jimi Hendrix.
    - Chad Smith
    Everyone's screwed up in their own special way.
    Joey Ramone

User Info Menu

Rule #1 in any band I'm in:

Tempo.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Sorry 'bout that.
    Hahahaa, it's all good.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I like that steering wheel, gas and brakes analogy... nice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Rule #1 in any band I'm in:

Tempo.jpg
    Good 1 Marc.

User Info Menu

And I thought my band was the exception! Guess we're not....
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/