Thread: Big Beat

User Info Menu

Default Big Beat

I haven't officially registered yet, but I'm planning to participate in the nation-wide Big Beat event that's coming up on Nov 1st. In 12 cities across the entire US, we're going to break the record for the most drummers ever playing the same groove at the same time. Any drummer of any skill level is encouraged to participate, and the drummers will all be able to play simultaneously through some sort of video internet connection.

The goal of this event is not only to break the record, but to raise money. All the money that's raised will go to Mr. Holland's Opus Foundation. This is quoted from their website:

"MHOF donates both new and refurbished instruments to school and after-school music programs that lack the resources to keep up with equipment loss due to attrition, depreciation and wear over time, and to accommodate students on waiting lists or who have to share instruments. An infusion of instruments enables more students to participate and to experience a quality music education. It is vital that efforts are made to give youngsters every tool available within the small window of time when they can make the most of their education, and experience the benefits inherent in learning to play music."

And the more money you raise for the event, you get free raffle tickets and you can get a chance to win a bunch of stuff like cymbals and snare drums.

Since this is nation-wide, I was wondering if any of you guys are going to do this event as well? I think it'll be really cool...I get to drum and raise money for a good cause at the same time...and maybe even win free stuff!
    Matt

User Info Menu

Default Re: Big Beat

So... It's not world wide? Pity, I would've loved to join in. =/
    - Zack

User Info Menu

I am already signed up in south Florida, Can't wait! It was a huge success last year, but is supposed to be even bigger this year! Here is a vid of some stuff that went on last year...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InoU6mTxwjw"]YouTube - Rez Drums: The Big Beat 2008 (Extended Version)[/ame]

User Info Menu

it sounds like a lot of fun, im not able to go but lemme know how it goes for you guys
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

i'd definitely want to go, but I think it might only be in select cities... is that true? (saw it in DRUM! magazine)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oaktree137 View Post
    i'd definitely want to go, but I think it might only be in select cities... is that true? (saw it in DRUM! magazine)
    Yeah, it's in 12 cities. Don't know which ones though.
    Matt

User Info Menu

So I did this last Sunday on the 1st. It was really fun, and I won a bunch of stuff in the raffle too (as many of you know from my other thread ) Here's the video of the event in San Jose, California.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiabXfLQ5OM"]YouTube- The BIG BEAT - San Jose[/ame]
    Last edited by yohin; 11-08-2009 at 06:52 PM.
    Matt