Thread: Cutting a hole in your bass head

User Info Menu

Question Cutting a hole in your bass head

Do you do it? Where on the head do you cut it. Any other random info you have on it.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cutting a hole in your bass head

Hi
    I have ported my bass drum, I got a porting kit, well just the ring for about £10, I made a a template with a bowl and was very carefull cutting it out, I think it look swicked plus i can just throw my bass mic in there when i'm gigging.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

They also make cutters so you don't need a template. It's like a compass, where you set the size of the hole and it helps you cut a perfect circle. I would make sure to reinforce the port when done, and make sure the head is not under tension when cutting.

In terms of location, most people use a 4" or 5" hole at around 4 o'clock on the head. Look up what ported heads you can buy look like and that will give you a guideline.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

hey, im kind of new to the whole drumming world.
    what exactly does the hole in the kick do?
    is it purely to make it easier to record and gig or does it change the sound?

User Info Menu

If you are feeling adventurous you can melt the hole with a tin can, i used it on my old kit and it works great, BUT you have to be careful not to burn yourself or melt bits of the head you dont want to. It works well and can look good, if you are on a budget you could use this method, However if you have the green, go for a porthole. This video explains the 'How to' of melting a hole in your bass drum.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wStcDiAZnyM"]YouTube- How To Melt a Bass Drum Head Porthole[/ame]

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

User Info Menu

great vid of how to burn the port hole..

User Info Menu

Aquarian do a reinforcemnet ring you can stick to the head..then cut around on the inside of the ring it gives you a 4" reinforced hole think they retail for maybe $10 or so.
    "PLAY IT LOUD AND PLAY IT PROUD":

User Info Menu

The cutter makes an even circle, and you should always put a reinforcement on a hole even if it's stock on the head (unless it comes with one).
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

Why would you cut a perfectly good head. All the companys make a front head with a port.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlexGoodwin View Post
    If you are feeling adventurous you can melt the hole with a tin can, i used it on my old kit and it works great, BUT you have to be careful not to burn yourself or melt bits of the head you dont want to. It works well and can look good, if you are on a budget you could use this method, However if you have the green, go for a porthole. This video explains the 'How to' of melting a hole in your bass drum.
    YouTube- How To Melt a Bass Drum Head Porthole
    i was just about to post that vid
    The only way to catch a butterfly is never waiting for the wings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VIbes View Post
    Why would you cut a perfectly good head. All the companys make a front head with a port.
    $10 instead of life $40.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K