Thread: Missing In Action....new relocation, new drum room....and no Net for a week! Aaarggh!

User Info Menu

Default Missing In Action....new relocation, new drum room....and no Net for a week! Aaarggh!

As a few of you might have known, before I vanished off the Internet radar for a week or so (What? Drum Chat without that Drumble waffling on? What is the world coming to???.....I hear you gasp), I was looking at a number of rental properties still within my area of Sydney. Tell you what, it is getting crazy with house prices. Anyway, the reason why was that unfortunately the nice little three bedder that I was sharing, well, the land where that house, a granny flat that was behind me, plus the house and flat next door that the landlord and his wife owned was all going on the property market. Sonia and Brian, my landlords, a great couple who I've known for years and years (family friends), sadly had to sell up in order to raise money to help out their various (grown-up) children with their mortgages. I managed to rent the house next door to them, sharing it with a friend of mine for well around five years. The block that the two properties made up, by the way, went for auction last Saturday for AU$2,811,000!

Anyway, the few months prior to the sale I went around looking at various rentals, hoping they would be somewhat ideal to keep my drum tuition business going. Plus there was another thing to factor in....had to consider sharing a place with my parents once again (bit hard to do when you've been away from them for a number of years), but I had to, not just for the money factor, but the fact that they're getting on a bit, and unfortunately my sister is unavailable to keep an eye out as well (long story there, won't bore you with that). So, after weeks and weeks of scouting around, managed to find a great rental. A three-to-four bedder (the small study room's become my bedroom away from the front bedrooms), a nice large lounge, smallish but okay kitchen, laundry....the usual. Oldish sorta house, but it's comfortable. However, the biggest advantages are:

1) Double carport. So if we get the dreaded Sydney hailstorms, Dad's and my cars will be fine.

2) A huge brick double garage. So far, been spending quite a number of hours opening up storage boxes, taking stuff to the house and back. Plus sorting out my "shop's worth of drum and percussion gear"....without the garage, it would have been a logistical nightmare making sure everything had been moved and accounted for.

3) A largish room built within the garage (divided from the rest by a wooden wall) which has become a self contained drum room, with a small workbench area in the corner. This place in the garage has at least 10 power outlets, plus a loo and shower stall. The shower isn't working, which won't matter to me, as it's become at the moment an ad-hoc storage room for some percussion and unpacked boxes, plus some flattened storage boxes that will be either kept, thrown out, or made into something else. And the best thing about this part of the garage? There's no-one living behind us.....the back faces the football and cricket fields, as well as tennis nets, of a private school, plus there's a little nature reserve. The back ends of each neighbour's house on either side of us is roughly over 100 metres away from the garage (that's my guesstimate)....which means I can make noise without annoying them. The two garage roller doors are fully lockable, plus the door to the drum room is locked, and the door inside that is a heavy bar-grill door that's locked as well. Two small windows with bars over them. No one can get in, should they be tempted to jump over the fence.

4) Apart from the security of the garage, the carport has a chain and lock, and each entrance to the house has it's own security door. The windows all lock, and there's a security alarm. The place is like Fort Knox. Besides, my neighbourhood is not exactly a hotbed of crime.....it still has a small-town kind of feel, and everyone sort of knows everyone.

All of this for only $10 more than where I was sharing rent before. Not a bad bargain at all. Plus I won't have to worry too much about the folks. Their lease at their place was going to be up in a few months.....now with pooling our money together, they can take it a bit easy.

Oh, and the Net problem? Yeah, talk about frustrating. I told Telstra about a week prior to the move that I'll be relocating. Yeah sure, they reassured me, do your move and we'll get it happening within a few days after. Then I ring them on the Friday, two days after I'd moved on the Wednesday 11th. "Oh sorry sir, are you still at the old address?"...."Umm, nope, I'm at the new address....I thought this was updated on your system?" Turned out that my phone line was changed, but not my Net. "So how long will this take?" "Four days." "Oh well, guess I'll have to wait till Tuesday".....which meant that a band who wanted to send me mp3's via my email had to send me a hard copy, no other choice. "No sir, four working days" Which meant at that time I was speaking to them....the next week! Not good. At all. I had a rehearsal lined up for the following Tuesday (the 17th) and whilst some tunes I knew already, there were six new ones I had to learn. And fast! Ended up getting the band to email them to a mate nearby, who then burned me a CD (.....thanks Sim!). By the time I had other errands, a few students and things to see to, I ended up only having one day to learn the songs....the Tuesday itself! Was in the garage with the headphones on at 8am, and didn't leave it until 3:45pm....had enough time to pack a basic acoustic set, shower and a fresh set of clothes and then an hour's drive to rehearse! So it's been a "heads-down-and-see-you-at-the-end-of-the-gig" kind of week, for sure!

Anyway, can't keep yapping like this, these boxes don't unpack themselves you know? Don't worry, once the garage is more or less looking like a bomb's hit it, I'll get some pics happening.

Cheers from Down Under....
    Drumble.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Default Re: Missing In Action....new relocation, new drum room....and no Net for a week! Aaar

Welcome back!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Default Re: Missing In Action....new relocation, new drum room....and no Net for a week! Aaar

can you wrote that in french it to long for me
    congrad brother all the big work is done
    have fun now
    when is the first party there
    can you invite me
    As a few of you might have known, before I vanished off the Internet radar for a week or so (What? Drum Chat without that Drumble waffling on? What is the world coming to???.....I hear you gasp), I was looking at a number of rental properties still within my area of Sydney. Tell you what, it is getting crazy with house prices. Anyway, the reason why was that unfortunately the nice little three bedder that I was sharing, well, the land where that house, a granny flat that was behind me, plus the house and flat next door that the landlord and his wife owned was all going on the property market. Sonia and Brian, my landlords, a great couple who I've known for years and years (family friends), sadly had to sell up in order to raise money to help out their various (grown-up) children with their mortgages. I managed to rent the house next door to them, sharing it with a friend of mine for well around five years. The block that the two properties made up, by the way, went for auction last Saturday for AU$2,811,000!

Anyway, the few months prior to the sale I went around looking at various rentals, hoping they would be somewhat ideal to keep my drum tuition business going. Plus there was another thing to factor in....had to consider sharing a place with my parents once again (bit hard to do when you've been away from them for a number of years), but I had to, not just for the money factor, but the fact that they're getting on a bit, and unfortunately my sister is unavailable to keep an eye out as well (long story there, won't bore you with that). So, after weeks and weeks of scouting around, managed to find a great rental. A three-to-four bedder (the small study room's become my bedroom away from the front bedrooms), a nice large lounge, smallish but okay kitchen, laundry....the usual. Oldish sorta house, but it's comfortable. However, the biggest advantages are:

1) Double carport. So if we get the dreaded Sydney hailstorms, Dad's and my cars will be fine.

2) A huge brick double garage. So far, been spending quite a number of hours opening up storage boxes, taking stuff to the house and back. Plus sorting out my "shop's worth of drum and percussion gear"....without the garage, it would have been a logistical nightmare making sure everything had been moved and accounted for.

3) A largish room built within the garage (divided from the rest by a wooden wall) which has become a self contained drum room, with a small workbench area in the corner. This place in the garage has at least 10 power outlets, plus a loo and shower stall. The shower isn't working, which won't matter to me, as it's become at the moment an ad-hoc storage room for some percussion and unpacked boxes, plus some flattened storage boxes that will be either kept, thrown out, or made into something else. And the best thing about this part of the garage? There's no-one living behind us.....the back faces the football and cricket fields, as well as tennis nets, of a private school, plus there's a little nature reserve. The back ends of each neighbour's house on either side of us is roughly over 100 metres away from the garage (that's my guesstimate)....which means I can make noise without annoying them. The two garage roller doors are fully lockable, plus the door to the drum room is locked, and the door inside that is a heavy bar-grill door that's locked as well. Two small windows with bars over them. No one can get in, should they be tempted to jump over the fence.

4) Apart from the security of the garage, the carport has a chain and lock, and each entrance to the house has it's own security door. The windows all lock, and there's a security alarm. The place is like Fort Knox. Besides, my neighbourhood is not exactly a hotbed of crime.....it still has a small-town kind of feel, and everyone sort of knows everyone.

All of this for only $10 more than where I was sharing rent before. Not a bad bargain at all. Plus I won't have to worry too much about the folks. Their lease at their place was going to be up in a few months.....now with pooling our money together, they can take it a bit easy.

Oh, and the Net problem? Yeah, talk about frustrating. I told Telstra about a week prior to the move that I'll be relocating. Yeah sure, they reassured me, do your move and we'll get it happening within a few days after. Then I ring them on the Friday, two days after I'd moved on the Wednesday 11th. "Oh sorry sir, are you still at the old address?"...."Umm, nope, I'm at the new address....I thought this was updated on your system?" Turned out that my phone line was changed, but not my Net. "So how long will this take?" "Four days." "Oh well, guess I'll have to wait till Tuesday".....which meant that a band who wanted to send me mp3's via my email had to send me a hard copy, no other choice. "No sir, four working days" Which meant at that time I was speaking to them....the next week! Not good. At all. I had a rehearsal lined up for the following Tuesday (the 17th) and whilst some tunes I knew already, there were six new ones I had to learn. And fast! Ended up getting the band to email them to a mate nearby, who then burned me a CD (.....thanks Sim!). By the time I had other errands, a few students and things to see to, I ended up only having one day to learn the songs....the Tuesday itself! Was in the garage with the headphones on at 8am, and didn't leave it until 3:45pm....had enough time to pack a basic acoustic set, shower and a fresh set of clothes and then an hour's drive to rehearse! So it's been a "heads-down-and-see-you-at-the-end-of-the-gig" kind of week, for sure!

Anyway, can't keep yapping like this, these boxes don't unpack themselves you know? Don't worry, once the garage is more or less looking like a bomb's hit it, I'll get some pics happening.

Cheers from Down Under....
    Drumble.

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Riouel View Post
    can you wrote that in french it to long for me
    I'll summarize:

Drumbledore moved. Better place, rent only a little more. Drumbledore is happy. LOL!
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    I'll summarize:

Drumbledore moved. Better place, rent only a little more. Drumbledore is happy. LOL!
    Ha-ha! I love it! I always get in trouble for taking 20 minutes to say something that takes only a minute. Hey man, I'm just expressive! Obviously, so is DrumbleDore.

User Info Menu

congrats on the new place. how much AU 2,811,000 in US dollars. Not up to date on monetary things. when you started talking about all of the locks, it sounded like you are in a high crime area. I hated moving, when I first got married we moved like 7 times in 6 yrs. Everyone was always selling their places. Finally bought our own place 18yrs ago. this is the country hardly no crime at all. If we move again it will be someplace warm. again congrats on new place.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dabdrums View Post
    how much AU 2,811,000 in US dollars.
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=AU+2%2C811%2C000+in+US+dollars

Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Missing In Action....new relocation, new drum room....and no Net for a week! Aaar

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    I'll summarize:

Couldn't have typed it better myself, Mark! Great job, bro'!

Drumbledore: I know as soon as possible, you'll be floodin' this place with all the great new pictures you'll have of your new place! Sounds like ya got everything you wanted and more!

I feel right at home when you talk about the glitches you've experienced with Telstra. Not much different than what happens in the 'bro's part of the world with his local phone company!

Congratulations, mate!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

^Thanks Bongobro....yeah, settling in things nice and steadily here....had some problems with the lights, which, when the electrician got called in, turned out to be a loose wire in the light switch (the neutral wire)...once that was fixed, lighting's been working like a charm. Today I picked up the portable air conditioner unit (for those hot days alright!), got the workspace corner more or less worked out, the various storage spaces sorted for various drums and percussion items, the electronic kits, P.A. & mixer, marimba and vibraphone are set up, shelves full of DVD's, CD's, drum mags, books, etc.....soon will get the various posters up..... Next week a student's mum is going to give me a digital aerial for the telly over here (in the meantime, I run drum vids for my students through the DVD and VHS players hooked up). Got the Net happening. Yep, looking like a proper music space bit by bit.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I will say it short and sweet lol Congrats DD

User Info Menu

Congrats on the move Drumble.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Ha-ha! I love it! I always get in trouble for taking 20 minutes to say something that takes only a minute. Hey man, I'm just expressive! Obviously, so is DrumbleDore.

YA THINK THAT, DO YOU TOM?

If there is a post from DD or you, I make sure to hit the can, pour a drink, get the chips, because I know a novella is coming.

(Just kidding but not exaggerating)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    YA THINK THAT, DO YOU TOM?

If there is a post from DD or you, I make sure to hit the can, pour a drink, get the chips, because I know a novella is coming.

(Just kidding but not exaggerating)
    Ha-ha!