Thread: Splash Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Splash Cymbals

Ok so I need suggestions/opinions

I have a Zildjian A 10" splash that i have grown not so fond of anymore. To my ears now days it seems more of a crash then having a splashy quality sound if that makes sense. I do have a Zildjian K Custom 8" splash that i love. It sounds what a splash should sound like to my ears. That KC splash is rather thin. I would like a 10" splash that i can lay into without fear of bending but still have a quality splashy sound. I currently use 5A and 747's Brand of splash does not matter so I'm open to all brands

Thanks guys

User Info Menu

Default Re: Splash Cymbals

Quote Originally Posted by Pearlman71 View Post
    Ok so I need suggestions/opinions

I have a Zildjian A 10" splash that i have grown not so fond of anymore. To my ears now days it seems more of a crash then having a splashy quality sound if that makes sense. I do have a Zildjian K Custom 8" splash that i love. It sounds what a splash should sound like to my ears. That KC splash is rather thin. I would like a 10" splash that i can lay into without fear of bending but still have a quality splashy sound. I currently use 5A and 747's Brand of splash does not matter so I'm open to all brands

Thanks guys
    I'm afraid that my suggestion is predictable - go for whatever sounds good to you and ignore brand names - it sounds to me like you want something that speaks up and gets out of the way quickly without ringing on forever. Keep an open mind and try out as many as you can before making a decision. You never know - it may turn out that you like the sound of a Wuhan or B8 splash.

User Info Menu

I had a Zildjian 10-inch and broke it............the only cymbal I have ever broken.
    I went the other way and bought a new "A" Zildjian 12-inch splash..........and you are correct, it sounds more like a small thin crash but I have grown to love that little cymbal and use it a lot........much more durable than the 10.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I have a Zildjian A 12" splash also. I hate it. Sounds like a small crash, no splashy tone. *shrugs* I guess that's why it's going bye bye. LOL
    Kits:

2014 Gretsch Catalina Club Classic 4pc Ocean Twilight Sparkle 8x12, 14x5.5, 14x14, 14x20

1976 Ludwig Classic 6pc Black Diamond Pearl (Restoration in progress)

Saluda Cymbals:

13" Symbolic Prototype Hand Hammered Jazz Hi Hats
    20" Earthworks Medium Crash/Ride
    15" Mist X Crash
    8" Decadence China Blast Splash

16" Rancan China

User Info Menu

If you want a really fast "in & out" splashy report, I like this Electrostack from Meinl...........it is an 8 on top of a 10.........very cool effect :

Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

In my experience splashes 10" and up have to be pretty thin to get a splash sound, otherwise you start getting the mini crash sound that you're describing.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

You would be surprised at the sound of a 10" Wuhan splash. I also have a 12" Wuhan splash that I hate. The 8" is okay.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

A lot of Sabian splashes are thinner and quicker. The overall pitch of a 10" can go into small crash teritory though, even more so with 12" splashes. Try the 10" Sabian HHX Evolution, maybe? Or Sabian HH...

User Info Menu

I recently picked up a set of 8 and 10" wuhan splashes. The 8 lacks sustain, but the 10" is by far my favourite splash. It has a slight trashy sound to it and it's nice if you ever want to use it in a stack. It's quite thin yet durable and has a great bell. I would highly recommend the 10" traditional wuhan.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    A lot of Sabian splashes are thinner and quicker. The overall pitch of a 10" can go into small crash teritory though, even more so with 12" splashes. Try the 10" Sabian HHX Evolution, maybe? Or Sabian HH...
    Totally agree with this statement. Sabian, specifically AAX 8" and 10" splashes sound like glass breaking. That's my criteria for a good sounding splash.

Last edited by late8; 07-30-2014 at 06:04 PM.

User Info Menu

One thing to keep in mind is size. As a cymbal's diameter expands, it's pitch drops and tonal characteristics change. Those two inch intervals between cymbals cause a greater shift than you might think initially, so I personally think it's not necessarily the make and model but rather the size. Go smaller! Splashes really shine in the 6"-8" ranges, because it keeps them short on the decay and bright on the pitch - exactly how this type of cymbal should sound. I have a 6" A custom splash and it's very pleasing to hear. I feel that it does exactly what a splash is supposed to do. When it comes to your kit, don't be afraid to try smaller diameter pieces from time to time - you just might fall in love with what you hear.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

About ten years ago GC had a year long promotion where they were selling 12" Wuhan splashes for $9.95. They were the coolest sounding splashes I'd ever run across. Like a dummy, I never got around to buying one. They sold a zillion of them though, there should still be some floating around.
    -Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Totally agree with this statement. Sabian, specifically AAX 8" and 10" splashes sound like glass breaking. That's my criteria for a good sounding splash.

Man I loved that kit. Do you miss it?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments