Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: **OFFICIAL best drum kit all budgets discussion**

User Info Menu

Default Re: **OFFICIAL best drum kit for all budgets discussion**

Quote Originally Posted by TygerPax View Post
    Haha thanks for in input man and backing this thread up, the yamaha stage is a great addition although I found them quite hard to get sounding how I want them I don't think there is much range, but if u get there sweet spot they sound amazin
    I think that part of that might be simply because they are birch and not maple or some other common wood used in budget level drums. In my experience with that kit, I found that it did sound good, but being really used to how my maple kit sounds, it just didn't have the same tuning range or tone, so they took me a bit to get used to. However, once I did get used to them and I got them dialed in a bit better, they really did sound pretty decent - nice and punchy toms with more of a thud than a boom for the bass drum.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Default Re: **OFFICIAL best drum kit all budgets discussion**

I think you need to change it from just the Meridian maple to the Meridian Series as a whole. I love my M birch and would say its equal to the Pro M, just different
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Hello TygerPax
    I see you're in the UK - I'd love to go for a visit sometime - my wife and have relatives there and I've never been. I better hurry though.......I'm old

Interesting thread - and you're right on with this being useful for people starting out or someone just trying to decide what's out there.

I will add my 2c to this by saying....being an Gretsch fan...I see three catagories.....relating to Gretsch drums. Gretsch does have a Blackhawk (entry level) Series but I won't include that here.

1) Gretsch Catalina Series Entry Level to Intermediate 320 - 440 pounds (Canadian dollars converted)
    I say entry level only because you can buy Catalina drums for 320-440 pounds - in the USA (Canadian dollars converted) - but the quality is far beyond an entry level drum. They are exceptional drums and I don't think you can beat them for price and quality.
    Intermediate = they have stunning finishes and very good hardware and they sound awesome.

2) Semi Pro - Pro 900-1530 pounds (Canadian dollars converted)
    Gretsch Renown Maple and Renown Purewood Series
    I have a Renown Purewood African Mahogany kit and to my ears it is every bit a good as any pro kit I have heard and they are simply a pleasure to play. There are pros playing the Purewood Series that are on record saying they are the best drums they have ever played. The finishes on the Renown drums are beautiful. They're made offshore but to Gretsch's high standards.
    They have high polished triple chrome hardware - die-cast hoops and UV Gloss finishes (one is a Ruby Sparkle - stunning finish if you like sparkle)

3) Pro and highend ProGretsch Custom USA 2200 (in some cases less) to 4000 or more pounds depending on how many drums you want. You can get a nice 4pce Jazz shellpack for around 2000 pounds.

I will say no more other than if you're interested in watching the labour intensive process on how Gretsch USA Custom drums are made here are the links:
    Part 1
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkGWv2rz5qg"]GRETSCH Factory Tour: How they make Gretsch drums - YouTube[/ame]

Part 2
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxNy-vF0rG8"]The Making of That Great Gretsch Sound: Part 2 - YouTube[/ame]
    Gary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post
    Hello TygerPax
    I see you're in the UK - I'd love to go for a visit sometime - my wife and have relatives there and I've never been. I better hurry though.......I'm old

Interesting thread - and you're right on with this being useful for people starting out or someone just trying to decide what's out there.

I will add my 2c to this by saying....being an Gretsch fan...I see three catagories.....relating to Gretsch drums. Gretsch does have a Blackhawk (entry level) Series but I won't include that here.

1) Gretsch Catalina Series Entry Level to Intermediate 320 - 440 pounds (Canadian dollars converted)
    I say entry level only because you can buy Catalina drums for 320-440 pounds - in the USA (Canadian dollars converted) - but the quality is far beyond an entry level drum. They are exceptional drums and I don't think you can beat them for price and quality.
    Intermediate = they have stunning finishes and very good hardware and they sound awesome.

2) Semi Pro - Pro 900-1530 pounds (Canadian dollars converted)
    Gretsch Renown Maple and Renown Purewood Series
    I have a Renown Purewood African Mahogany kit and to my ears it is every bit a good as any pro kit I have heard and they are simply a pleasure to play. There are pros playing the Purewood Series that are on record saying they are the best drums they have ever played. The finishes on the Renown drums are beautiful. They're made offshore but to Gretsch's high standards.
    They have high polished triple chrome hardware - die-cast hoops and UV Gloss finishes (one is a Ruby Sparkle - stunning finish if you like sparkle)

3) Pro and highend ProGretsch Custom USA 2200 (in some cases less) to 4000 or more pounds depending on how many drums you want. You can get a nice 4pce Jazz shellpack for around 2000 pounds.

I will say no more other than if you're interested in watching the labour intensive process on how Gretsch USA Custom drums are made here are the links:
    Part 1
    GRETSCH Factory Tour: How they make Gretsch drums - YouTube

Part 2
    The Making of That Great Gretsch Sound: Part 2 - YouTube
    thanks man the renows and really nice kits, gretsch have their "own" sound i feel, i think the same about yamaha
    To become a great drummer first you must be humble enough to learn

My set up

Mapex Meridian Birch - Transparent Walnut

20x22 Bass
    10x7 & 12x8 Rack
    14x12 & 16x14 Floor

Chad Smith signature Snare

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Martinez12 View Post
    Im feeling that this would lead nowhere... Everyone has a bias and therefore they would prefer some brands over others... Its all opinion
    I agree. Everyone is just going to name their favorite kit as "the best". No one will ever reach a consensus because the whole thing is subjective. Anyone who might look to this thread for help would just get confused with everyone giving different answers about which kit they like the most.
    Matt

User Info Menu

nooo, i thought we all agreed the Catalina Maple was the best. not to mention the PDP X7 and the Mapex......
    seriously, ive got a beat up Pearl and a Z5, im buying my next kit used and i have no idea what brand it is yet, likely be a great deal, hoping for a blue Stage Custom

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post
    I agree. Everyone is just going to name their favorite kit as "the best". No one will ever reach a consensus because the whole thing is subjective. Anyone who might look to this thread for help would just get confused with everyone giving different answers about which kit they like the most.
    I don't think that we're talking about preference - I think we're talking about great value for the dollar, and there are specific reasons for that for most of the kits listed. That's my take anyway.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

I personally believe there is no "best" kit, even for all budgets. A person who likes a Pearl export because of the poplar shells punchyness may prefer it over a PDP X7 for example. The examples could go on and on..
    Yeah, certain kits are made better than others but that doesn't mean that it's better in the sound department.
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Price, playability, look, sound, hardware, and other special features.. These are the things to consider when saying a kit is "the best kit". If you find a kit that ranks highly in all these areas, chances are you found the best kit for you. A brand means nothing unless the customer has a preference, any of them can make errors in quality control.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post
    I don't think that we're talking about preference - I think we're talking about great value for the dollar, and there are specific reasons for that for most of the kits listed. That's my take anyway.
    It's still pretty subjective. i.e., for me personally, the best bang for buck in the intermediate range are Tama Superstars. But obviously that is not the case for everyone, or else everybody would own Superstars. A lot of it comes down to personal preference. I wanted a birch kit over a maple kit...if I had wanted maple, the best choice for me might have been Catalina Maples, etc.

People can recommend kits and say why they're good, but there's no true "best kit". Just my 2 cents.
    Matt

Larrysperf Guest

I have heard top of the line kits sound bad and inter kits sound amazing. When you are buying a kit first you have to play it next is hardware and last is looks. Some may not agree but you can have a great looking kit and just dont like the sound then you dont want to play it Simple. Today I think the inter kits are as good if not better than the older kits. The older kits were much thinner, single ply shells, but still love them. What it comes down to is you have to go to drum store and play the kit Nuff Said

User Info Menu

I think that Yamaha Stage Custom Birch would be a great intermediate kit, I
    tried it out a GC yesterday and I was like "Dad, I want this kit,"
    but of course he said, "Save up your money".

User Info Menu

The best kits in my opinion is the one we own. Some have no choice of what they have because it fit their budgets and that is all they can afford. Wether they are Gretsch, Yamaha, Tama, Mapex, Pearl they are all great drums. So the best is yours.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    The best kits in my opinion is the one we own. Some have no choice of what they have because it fit their budgets and that is all they can afford. Wether they are Gretsch, Yamaha, Tama, Mapex, Pearl they are all great drums. So the best is yours.
    I tend to agree with you on this PMM. I have a 2007 Gretsch Catalina Maple kit, and I love it. It was a good quality kit at the right price point for me when I bought it, and I love the sound of maple drums. Have I been tempted by other drums? Sure, and I have loved hearing about, and seeing the drums that other people have. I also have an older Jazz kit that I got used (Gretsch Catalina Elite), primarily because I wanted something smaller in case I was squeezed for space in a church setting, and because I realized that if I was introducing drums into a church, a smaller setup was less imposing. It sounded nice (basswood shells), and it came in a White Marine Pearl wrap, so that didn't hurt my feeling either (I thought it would look classy in church).

Those are my reasons for choosing the drums I have. Others may use another criteria, and their criteria would be just as valid as mine. It is nice to have some baseline to work from, so I appreciate knowing price points and build qualities.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Smile Re: **OFFICIAL great drum kits for all budgets discussion**

Quote Originally Posted by TygerPax View Post
    I thought it would be cool to actually get a thread of this for people who are looking at getting a new kit, we all know how frustraiting this process can be so lets get this going. Obviously we all have different taste so say why you like them and for what music style you think they would be sorted to, Lets include the Shells, the snare, the hardware and anything else you guys think would be helpfull for someone getting a new kit.

hope they make this a sticky
    I think this is a great thread. I'm really really new to drumming and only have an electronic set but want to buy an acoustic when I can.

I don't know which "brand" is better, so I'm looking at them all. The thing I have some trouble with is which are beginner, intermediate, and pro.

Also, I see different types of wood used...

Does the type of wood itself have a lot to do with the sound?

Are there some woods that are more preferable?

Thanks to all for the info in this thread!
    Take care and seeya!
    Jim

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ty7177 View Post
    I think that Yamaha Stage Custom Birch would be a great intermediate kit, I
    tried it out a GC yesterday and I was like "Dad, I want this kit,"
    but of course he said, "Save up your money".
    I'll agree with you on this!! I have the SCB and have added on to it a lot.
    For the price of the basic 5 piece and add on toms, they are very reasonable.
    The finish on the SCB series is nice as well. Hardware is heavy duty as well.
    I really can't put a real answer to this thread. It all comes down to what a person likes. I have owned 3 kits,Pearl Forums,which were a great starter kit for the money. I also had the Tama Superstars I liked a lot and then the Yamaha's I have now,which has been my favorite of the 3 I have owned and played on many hours.
    I will say I would never buy a PDP kit.The hardware is cheap and breaks often. I don't like the finishes on them.
    8pc Tama Superstar Classic Maple
    Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: **OFFICIAL great drum kits for all budgets discussion**

Quote Originally Posted by jgraham798 View Post
    I think this is a great thread. I'm really really new to drumming and only have an electronic set but want to buy an acoustic when I can.

I don't know which "brand" is better, so I'm looking at them all. The thing I have some trouble with is which are beginner, intermediate, and pro.

Also, I see different types of wood used...

Does the type of wood itself have a lot to do with the sound?

Are there some woods that are more preferable?

Thanks to all for the info in this thread!
    Take care and seeya!
    Jim
    The wood itself has a lot to do with the sound, it is the sound..
    The 3 most popular woods are: mahogany, maple and birch

Here is some information:
    Starting with mahogany, it's the softest of the three. Mahogany's sofness gives it the lowest tone of the group. You can expect good bottom end punch with this wood. Keep in mind that the mahogany discussed here is of high quality (i.e. African Mahogany). Many cheap drum sets are made with the cheaper mahogany that is commonly found on hollow doors. The price is less but the tone suffers.

Maple falls in the middle when it comes to both hardness and tone. The pitch is higher than mahogany's, yet it is considered "warm" when compared to birch. Maple is very popular among many drum makers and drummers alike. Keller Drum Shells has been key to the mainstream popularity of maples shells. The great tonal range, natural beauty, and large supply should keep it on the "most popular" list for years to come.

The final wood to consider is Birch. Since it is the hardest of the group, birch has the brightest sound. It is also very attractive with a nice staining wood grain. The volume you can achieve with birch makes it a pick for drummers in live settings (who like it LOUD!)

Hope that helped you out!

User Info Menu

In the end a drum is a drum is a drum!

It is a very simple instrument and has far less variables than say an electric guitar. On an electric guitar the following influence the sound...wood, nut, tuners, fret (height width) The bridge and saddles, overall weight, pick-ups, the electronics and wiring, and the strings. A drum is a head attached to a hollow cylinder that you bang on. It gives only one sound. The most scientific part of a drum is the bearing edge probably.

Drums like guitars, cars etc... is really all about marketing. If your particular idol uses a certain brand, chances are you will gravitate to that. I think the differences between entry, mid, and high are more to do with features and choices. I have heard good and bad sounds from drums all over the spectrum. I believe it has more to do with the individuals who own them than the drums. Just my two cents!!

all the best...

all the best...

User Info Menu

Default Re: **OFFICIAL great drum kits for all budgets discussion**

Quote Originally Posted by KevinVanRillaer View Post
    The wood itself has a lot to do with the sound, it is the sound..
    The 3 most popular woods are: mahogany, maple and birch
    [Hope that helped you out!

Thanks KVR!

I do love a lower sound and not too fond of the loudness, myself.

I see alot of drumsets in my area stores that are maple or birch, also some basswood which I do plan to avoid.

I cut down a basswood for a lady I work with and almost had a heat stroke doing it and there's some sort of fuzz like material that gets airborne and made me sick with broncitis for 3 weeks. So...hehehe...I'm not fond of that wood AT ALL :-)

I know it wouldn't bother me in a drum, but... hehehe

Thanks so much for the info!
    Jim

doctor dirt Guest

My best kits are;
    Pearl MMX (4ply, 5mm) maple
    Premier SIGNIA (4ply, 4.5mm) maple
    Pearl MHX (4ply African Mahogany) A/M.
    Eames FINETONE (6ply, 6mm.) Birch
    Yamaha Recording Custom (6ply 6.5mm) Birch (pre YES)
    Slingerland GK (3ply or 5ply) maple (pre 1969)

intermediate sets;
    Premier xpk, apk (any combos of woods)
    Mapex Saturn (any combos of woods)
    Yamaha Stage Custom (Birch)

beginners kits;
    makes no difference, try to find something that could be traded in to help purchase the upgrade! I think ALL the beginners gear is garbage so a clean used mid line is a better purchase.
    Doc.

I currently use the SIGNIA set.

User Info Menu

Based of my kits that owned I would say

Pro: dw collectors

Intermediate: ddrum dios

Beginner: pulse

I was happy with all kits. All sounded great in their category.
    1997 DW collectors kit
    2010 ddrum dios m series kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

I'm a Tama and Gretsch guy all the way.

For the Tama's:
    Entry level: Imperialstar
    Mid level: Silverstar
    Pro level: Starclassic Performer; either the maple or b/b. Too bad Tama stopped making the 100% birch . They can still be custom ordered though.

I have a 1999 Starclassic Performer in indigo blue finish 100% birch shells (snare and toms 8 ply and bass p ply) with accell size toms. I love the simple, non-flashy yet strong lugs on the Starclassic and the painted finish is beautiful highlighting the wood grain nicely while adding a rich color. The die-cast hoops are strong and give the thinner shells a nice dynamic range and less over-tones. The Star-cast mounting system is very sturdy and alows the drums to resonate and breath. Can't say enough about Tama.

For the Gretsch:
    Entry level (they have 3 kits): Blackhawk, Renegade and Energy
    Mid level: Any of the Catalina lines
    Pro level: (they have 4): USA Custom and the Brooklyn are probably at the top followed close by the New Classic and Renown's.

What can be said about Gretsch other than they are legends in the drum industry. The shells and hardware are top notch and they offer many attractive finishes. The lugs on the New Classics are sleek and attractive. The die-cast hoops are phenomenal (like the Tama's). Great sounding drum. Love the New Classic's. Can't wait to try the Brooklyn!!

These are just my preferences. I have played (not owned) pearls and am not the least bit impressed. As far as Yamaha and DW...WAY overrated. Yes they sound great as I have played them and they look nice but for the money they are not worth it in any way. Look at the prices for Yamaha and DW, a 5 piece pro-level and you will pay much more than a 5 piece pro-level from other major manufacturers. Why? Because, unfortunately, they ask that price and people pay it.
    Last edited by drumsetsnide; 01-31-2012 at 05:42 PM.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumsetsnide View Post
    As far as Yamaha and DW...WAY overrated. Yes they sound great as I have played them and they look nice but for the money they are not worth it in any way. Look at the prices for Yamaha and DW, a 5 piece pro-level and you will pay much more than a 5 piece pro-level from other major manufacturers. Why? Because, unfortunately, they ask that price and people pay it.
    As far as DW is concerned, I would have completely agreed with you before the introduction of the Performance Series but these are almost the same price range as the StarClassic B/B's and Maples. They don't have as many finishes available as Tama does, but they're still beautiful DW's that sound terrific.

I couldn't justify a brand new Collector's or high-end Yamaha though.
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

Yes DW Collector's are so fine; however, any list of high-end pro kits that does not include Gretsch USA Customs and Ludwig Legacy Customs is just plain wrong !
    There are also many others in this class, but these two have made history.

User Info Menu

I've been watching this thread to see if it would sort out... I don't think it will... Good idea that started out incomplete that's gone too far to be salvaged... I could be wrong