Thread: Clive Burr

User Info Menu

Default Clive Burr

Iron Maidens original sticks man who played on the first three Maiden albums including Number of the Beast. His playing really did suit IM in those early years and though Nicko is technically a better drummer (and showman) those early maiden songs to me sound a little better with Burr drumming. After Maiden Burr played with French band Trust (ironically Nickos former band), Alcatraz and Dee Sniders post Twisted Sister outfit Desperado.

Burr has since been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, the treatment of which left him deeply in debt. Iron Maiden staged a series of charity concerts and were involved in the founding of the Clive Burr MS Trust Fund. Burr now uses a wheelchair because of the MS.

Iron Maiden lead singer Bruce ****inson still considers Clive Burr to be '...the best drummer the band ever had. That's not taking anything away from [present drummer] Nicko. Technically, Nicko's probably a far more competent drummer than Clive. It's just that Clive had this incredible feel, and you can't learn that, and I regret that he wasn't given more time to try and sort himself out”

Burr used Ludwig Drums and Paiste Cymbals on the first two Maidens before switching to Tama for the Beast On The Road Tour. This kit was donated to the Hard Rock Café, London in 2005

Drums by Tama
    08” × 08” Tom
    10” × 10” Tom
    12” × 12” Tom
    13” × 13” Tom
    16” × 16” Floor Tom
    18” × 16” Floor Tom
    22” × 16” Bass Drum
    14”x6.5” (Ludwig Black Beauty Snare)
    4 Octobans
    Tama Camco Pedals

Drumheads
    Remo Pinstripe

Cymbals - All cymbals by Paiste
    17" RUDE Crash
    18" 2002 Medium
    19" 2002 Medium
    20" 2002 Medium
    21" RUDE Crash
    16" RUDE Crash
    20" Sound Creation Dark Ride
    20" 2002 Heavy Ride
    14" Formula 602 Ex. Heavy Hi-Hats
    22" 2002 China Type
    20" 2002 China Type

Sticks
    Custom made by Chas. Foots

Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

Default Re: Clive Burr

Wow, I didn't know he had ms....that sucks. will search for his charity site.

User Info Menu

Yeahh this is tragic. Clive had some really good stuff and played some of IM's greatest songs.

Kinda reminds me of the guitar player Jason Becker. Also a VERY very talented musician who is now in a wheelchair permanantly impaired. Very sad.
    Honestly, when Clive left Maiden I didn't think they could find and adequate replacement he was so good then.

User Info Menu

So true Stuper...then Nicko entered the scene....

Clive was my first introduction to Maiden and I was hooked then and still am now. Up the Irons!!
    Tama Rockstar & Paiste User and Abuser......

User Info Menu

must be going mad! - this topic seems to have jumped forums!
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    must be going mad! - this topic seems to have jumped forums!
    Dustin, the threads in this "Famous Drummers" sub-forum need to be formatted specifically to the one in the sample thread here. You might have over-looked it but it's a sticky.

If it's formatted correctly, we'll move it back into the Famous Drummers thread.

Thx!

User Info Menu

I had to bump this thread. I saw maiden in 1981 on the killers tour and was completely blown away. Killers continues to be one of my favorite albums of all time and it was Clive Burr that got me into tye drums. Nikko is an awesome drummer but Maidens music was better with clive burr.

User Info Menu

Personally i prefer Nicko to Clive just my opinion mind...having seen both in Maiden...Clive in the late 70's with Di'anno on vocals and later with Nicko and Bruce on vocals....the later been a far superior band

User Info Menu

Never saw Clive with Maiden, but I have seen Nicko with them 4 times and I have to say he is the ultimate drummer for that band.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

The music on killers and number of the beast was much better than anything Nikko did with them in my opnion. Compare the song powerslave to a maiden classic like murders in the rue morgue. Just my opinion. Nikko is an awesome drummer but i just like clives style.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lexer View Post
    The music on killers and number of the beast was much better than anything Nikko did with them in my opnion. Compare the song powerslave to a maiden classic like murders in the rue morgue. Just my opinion. Nikko is an awesome drummer but i just like clives style.
    I have to disagree big time on that there early albums with Di'anno were embarrassingly poor very child like amateur songs....lyrically especially i know seen them with Paul and Clive and Bruce and Nicko....no comparison a far superior band

User Info Menu

Harris supposedly was the one that felt Clive needed to go. Never got to see Clive play live only Nicko
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN