Thread: Suggestions for a 'light' ride cymbal?

User Info Menu

Default Suggestions for a 'light' ride cymbal?

I'm currently using a Zildjian A Custom 20" medium ride, but I'm looking for something can deliver a slightly more dryer sound but a lighter cymbal that can be crashed occasionally?

Let me know. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Suggestions for a 'light' ride cymbal?

It's a cheaper cymbal....and I see them now and then. But I like my 20" Paiste 502 Ride.

In fact I own two simply because I think it's a perfect versatile ride that works for most anything. Especially when you are in a gig situation that has quite the eclectic set list.

Crash it, Ride it, Ping it.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

One of my favourite ride cymbals is Zildjian's K Constantinople. Not cheap though. You could also look at Meinl's Byzance Traditional, Jazz or Vintage lineups. They have some nice crashable rides.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    you could also look at meinl's byzance traditional, jazz or vintage lineups. They have some nice crashable rides.
    +1
    Tama Swingstar 3 piece 1993 (refinished wine red)
    Ludwig Breakbeats (Azure Sparkle)
    1964 Ludwig Supra
    Old no-name Luan 12x8 tom/snare (refinished wine red)
    Mapex MPX 14"x5.5" snare (refinished in gloss black)
    Pearl Vision 14"x14" ft/snare (refinished wine red)
    Aquarian heads
    14" Sabian HHX Stage Hats
    15" Meinl Extra Dry Thin Hats
    18" Meinl Vintage Trash Crash
    18" Wuhan China
    18" Thin Zildjian Crash
    18" Thin Zildjian Crash with rivets
    19" Meinl Extra Dry Thin Crash
    22" Istanbul Mehmet Legend Dark Ride
    23" Matt Bettis Dry Ride

User Info Menu

Thanks for comment, man. Checked it out, though I think it's a little too light!

User Info Menu

I've always had my eye on the Ks and the Constantinople. I like the sound of the Byzance Traditional Ping Ride, though scared to dip my toe in the water and not buy a Zildjian product!

User Info Menu

Yeah, the Zildjian Light K Ride will set ya back about $450

User Info Menu

I feel like the 20" doesn't have much crash resonance, though. And they have massive sizes! Not bad.

User Info Menu

How about a Zildjian A 20" crash/ride - not as exotic as the K, but probably sells for half the price, may be worth checking out.

User Info Menu

Ideally, I just want to strictly keep it 'ride'. I'm looking at the 20" K Custom.

User Info Menu

I use a Vintage Zildjian A 21 Sweet crash/ride and love it.

User Info Menu

Check out the Paiste PST8 and PST7 series. I own a PST 7 heavy hat and I love it.

I play:

Drums & Hardware: DW.

Cymbals: Paiste.

Heads: Evans.

Sticks: Vic Firth and Pro Mark 5A, 7A.

User Info Menu

Paiste Giant Beats.
    Light ,dry, shimmery and crashable.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

I just bought a Wuhan 18" crash/ride. Obviously, not even in the same ballpark as a "real" cymbal. But, I gotta say.....I love it. Very glassy, but with just a touch of dark & trashy wash. It's a little TOO thin to use as a full time ride (goes into full wash mode very easily)but if you play it up close to the bell it CAN be controlled. The bell sound is killer, by the way. It works well as a ride for low volume acoustic gigs, Bluegrass type stuff, etc.. It also works excellent in situations where you might ride the wash on a regular crash (like some classic rock stuff). As a true crash, it's wonderful. Extremely powerful & cutting, although the decay is fairly drawn out. I tried to use my vintage Paiste 2002 as a double duty crash/ride, but the Wuhan performs much better. I've never had a so-called "crash/ride" before. I suspect most of them are somewhat compromised. This one is a better crash than ride, but it can perform both duties if played properly. It's also true that I don't have a very sophisticated taste in cymbals, but for $70, people can laugh at me all they want.
    I ordered a 16" Wuhan crash as well, but it's on back order. Based on the 14" crash & 18" crash/ride, I expect to be satisfied. Next pay day, I plan on ordering a 20" Wuhan medium ride. If nothing else, I'll have a full set of cymbals as a dedicated practice set for only a couple hundred bucks.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

For my 2 cents, I'll say the Byzance Sand ride in a 20 inch. Makes for a nice dry, lower volume ride, and is very crashable. A 21in sweet ride would be a good cymbal for that application too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by __--byonin--__ View Post
    Ideally, I just want to strictly keep it 'ride'. I'm looking at the 20" K Custom.
    Take a listen to the Sabian 20" HH Medium Ride, too. It has a lovely crash sound.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Very nice. This has just been elected to be a potential ride purchase. Thanks.