Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New drums!

User Info Menu

Default New drums!

Hey all-

I know some, if not most of you know that my kit started self destructing over the summer. Well, I finally get the chance to say goodbye to that piece of junk! My birthday present came early; I know it's nothing special, but I got a Ludwig Pinnacle drum set. I think it says it's wine red on the box (can't open it until my birthday though, but when it is set up, pictures are all yours) and it looks nice from what i've seen in the stock pictures.

It's tom sizes are 10, 12, and 16; I think i'm going to reuse my 16 from my current set and make it 2 up 2 down, but i'm going to tune my old 16 like an 18. Deep and boomy. I like big sounds, if you didn't know already. The only bad thing about the tom sizes is the 10. I was looking for a 10, 12, 16 set but the only thing that kinda kept me on the fence about those particular sizes was that i'd have to buy all new heads. I think i'm going to go with Evans, so any suggestions on heads? Like I said, I like boomy, resonant sounds. I know I can achieve a boomy sound by tuning the reso low, but, either way, what heads can I use that I can tune to whatever project i'm doing? Whether it be, say, country, or metal. A good all around head that sounds great when it's recorded (If you say G2s, which would be better, clear or coated?).

Like I said, pics to come, but man, I am BUMMED I can't open this baby up yet. It came two weeks early! Man!

-Jordison

EDIT:
    Plus it comes with all the hardware: an extra hat stand, another cymbal stand, a throne, a snare stand... the works. I can mount my 16" ZHT crash again, and maybe i'll use the hi hats that come with the drums as a pair of closed x-hats. I like having my hi hats super tight when they're closed, and I wouldn't mind using brass ones for that purpose, because it sounds generally the same when it's closed super tight. Besides I don't really use my drop clutch too often, so x-hats would be nice to have.
    Last edited by jordison515; 09-21-2011 at 05:37 PM.
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

Default Re: New drums!

Nice man. Congrats on the new Luds!
    Sonor Drums/Pork Pie Snare/Sabian Cymbals/DW Hardware/Promark/Remo

User Info Menu

Congrats! Nothing like the feeling of new drums. As for heads, I'd go for the coated g2's. I feel that they are warmer than their clear counterpart, and have a warmer tone overall. Plus the durability is excellent, no flaking after limited use like many report with remo heads.
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar

User Info Menu

Congrats on the new set!
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

Nice! Can't wait to see the pics!
    -Reuben

SABIAN SQUAD
    ^^^SGD'S EVANS EMPIRE^^^
    RIP Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

ThePloughman Guest

Two weeks is almost a lifetime.

Good luck on the wait. Congrats on the new tubs.

User Info Menu

Congrats man! Two weeks may seem like a long time but it'll be all the more awesome when you finally get those drums.

And I second rabidpenguin's suggestion for coated G2's. They sound big and warm, and after almost 2 years of playing them every day, the coating is still not worn out.
    Matt

User Info Menu

congrats
    Last edited by itchie; 09-22-2011 at 08:47 AM.

User Info Menu

Congrats on your new kit, waiting for mine to be delivered in the US but I cant open it till the 21st October as I wont be there to set it up etc so I understand you frustration. For details of my new kit please go to:

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...h-13962p2.html
    *TAMA-PEARL-REMO-EVANS-PAISTE- SABIAN-ZILDJIAN-VATER*

YouTube Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SuperPbizzle?feature=mhw5

User Info Menu

congrad brother
    let the countdown begin
    enjoy

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Congrats dude! 2 weeks sucks, but imagine, areFish has been waiting for months for his DW performance set... Anyway, nice looking kit, looking forward to pictures! May it bring you much happiness.

User Info Menu

Love it dude hope u can survive 2 weeks
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

Congrats man anything is better than that piece of crap you had before. LOL Enjoy it when you open it and show us some pics.

User Info Menu

Awesome! Nothing like new drums.

User Info Menu

Congrats dude. If it were me, I'd be peeking every night after the folks go to bed.
    Don't worry about that 10" tom. It will be cool. Nice looking set of drums. Enjoy!!!
    PDP MX Series Drums, Zildjian A Custom cymbals, Tama Simon Phillips Gladiator Signature snare, Roc-N-Soc throne.

User Info Menu

NICE! I love my 10" tom. I've got G2 coated over G1 clear. They sound nice. If you want open and boomy I might even go with a G+ or G1 coated batter if you don't beat the crap out of your drums.

User Info Menu

You should go and caress the 10" tom until you can open the rest of the kit lol

Nice score! And I highly do not recommend clear G2's. Painful to tune, painful to hear.
    I have no experience with the coated ones though. Good luck!
    If you don't mind, I recommend the EC2 frosted heads in case you like a deep warm sound
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

Larrysperf Guest

Congrates on the new set. As for heads G2 coated or ec2 coated

User Info Menu

I would claim...as an investigative opening now to assure QC on shipping that way you can see them sooner...
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Congrats on ordering the new kit jordison! I think, in his Theory of Relativity, Einstein missed one when he failed to say that waiting for new drums makes time go slower too.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Sure it's a long wait but those Ludes will be worth it. You'll have fun tuning them and getting everything situated to your tastes. Can't wait to see pics.

User Info Menu

I remember what that was like waiting for the first / new kit. Enjoy it, take lots of pictures, not just for the forum, but for yourself. Years from now you will look back on this time with so many fond memories. It the beginning of a whole new chapter in your life, you will want those pics, trust me!

You drum, therefore you are.
    Cut it large and kick it into place!

User Info Menu

Nice man congrats, I use G2s over G1s tuned reasonably low (10,12,14) I have had coated G2s on for a few months now and they havn't even began to flake or chip like other coated heads I have tried. I also have clear G2s waiting to go on as well just for me to try out. I'll look forward to the pics man.
    Mike.

"If men are from Mars, and Women are from venus then drummers... are from Pluto!" - Hughie (as played by the amazing Billy Connolly) taken from the film 'Still Crazy'.

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering" - Brandon Lee

http://www.jerzeystreetband.com
    http://www.myspace.com/jerzeystband
    http://www.facebook.com/jerzeystreetband

User Info Menu

Congrats Jordi! I use Evans coated power dot on my snare and it is the best sound I have gotten yet.I am going to replace my Evans clears on the rest next time.I think you will love the 10" tom.My smallest is 12" and I would like to have a 10" too. My Octobans are all 6" and I love the versatility in sound even though I dont use them as much.CollinCo.Drummer is right.take lots of pic.s because your drums are like your kids.You will always want to remember them when they were young!Two weeks may seem like Two years but it will be worth it.I think your parents are generous but cruel,lol,just kidding!There is a lesson to be learned here tho."Good things come to those who wait" even tho sometimes its pure torture.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.

User Info Menu

Very nice; I love red drums.

As far as getting a booming, resonant sound, I like clear Ambassadors. They're single ply and the lack of coating prevents the slight muffling/warmness you get from coated Ambs (my favs). For my kick, I like the Aquarian SKIII; single ply coated head with a patch.

Some people will swear by them, but I've never found a brand of double ply heads that are articulate and resonant for my tastes.