Thread: What Sticks to Get (General Drumming Technique)

User Info Menu

Default What Sticks to Get (General Drumming Technique)

There was a thread on here earlier about Travis Barker's drumsticks. There was some negative feedback on them (mostly due to the white paint). Those are the kind I use and I have trouble doing a lot of drum techniques, and I was wondering if the sticks played a major role in it. I can't bounce very well (hardly at all) and my speed is, to say the least, sub-par even though I practice as much as I can. I usually grip the stick towards the bottom because I feel really awkward holding them at about the 2/3 point like I've noticed in most of the videos I watch. I assume I should try different sticks. Do you guys recommend anything specific? Also, How can I bounce better?

P.S. Yeah, I'm a n00b.

User Info Menu

Default Re: What Sticks to Get (General Drumming Technique)

I use standard Zildjian 5A hickory sticks. They seem to work great for me and you can definately tell the diference between these and the other no name brand sticks that came with my kit, much better feel and speed. I'm not saying the Zildjians are the best sticks around as they're the only good pair I've used, but they definately helped my playing.

User Info Menu

forget new sticks ,, the only way is ,,,,, practice,practice ,practice... when you were a baby crawling around ,you didnt one day just get up and run a marathon did you ? no you learned how to balance on your feet first , then you took a couple steps and fell down ,, then you got better at walking , then you learned how to run... but none of that was learned without lots of practice.... so find a set of sticks that feel good in your hands ,, then practice,practice, practice... its the ONLY way

plus ,,, if you hold your sticks too far back , they will never bounce ,, the bounce comes from the stick being balanced in you hand.
    Last edited by atomcorr2; 03-01-2011 at 02:59 PM.
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

I own some ShawX sticks with some black paint coating on them that i bought a while ago when i first went to get some drum sticks, aside from painted sticks looking pretty cool they arent worth it (my opinion) Because the paint gets slippery when your hands start sweating and making you hold you stick firmer to keep it from slipping. Which could at the early stage of drumming make you tense up your arm and have a bad effect on your playing. Your best bet is to get some plain wooden sticks (Pro Mark, Vic Firth, Vater etc) and then just practice and practice without the feeling your sticks are holding you back

User Info Menu

Any stick will work as long as you find the fulcrum, and understand how to use the fulcrum to your advantage. Otherwise, the fatigue and lack of speed will catch up to you.
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar

User Info Menu

I use Vater Rock sticks.

However, these things are heavy, and they are big. They're just under 2B sized, and I've got a feeling they're not the easiest to use unless your arm muscles are pretty well conditioned.

User Info Menu

Are you using the ones with the mallet on the end? You should really find and use the fulcrum of the stick. Without doing that, it will be hard to almost impossible to produce any stick bounce at all. Also, those sticks are pretty long, 16 3/8 I believe. With that length, it shouldn't matter much if you find and use the fulcrum, you will still have plenty of length left to still feel good for you. Use the fulcrum. It's one of the first things taught by drum instructors. How to hold and utilize a stick. I think there are lessons that address this on this site as well. Good luck. And hey, if I haven't already, welcome aboard.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate-Drummer View Post
    I can't bounce very well (hardly at all) and my speed is, to say the least, sub-par even though I practice as much as I can. I usually grip the stick towards the bottom because I feel really awkward holding them at about the 2/3 point like I've noticed in most of the videos I watch. How can I bounce better?

P.S. Yeah, I'm a n00b.
    P-D, the key to your problem is less in your stick than in your technique, and you identified your own problem. You don't bounce well and you hold your sticks differently than you see in videos. In order to bounce your sticks, you need to find the right balance point of the stick and cradle that point between your index finger and your thumb. Here is a video that expalins it well:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9wxEKutb3U"]YouTube - How To Grip Your Sticks Part 1[/ame]
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Maybe I'm weird, but I hold my sticks kinda far back, too. I dunno, never had a HUGE problem...

User Info Menu

Ever see how far back Carter Beauford holds his sticks. But he found out how to work around it anyway.

Here is a good vid about finding the balance point on your stick:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=053bC81Lcv4"]YouTube - dave weckl back to basics[/ame]
    "Don't let your pride swell....you may have to swallow it one day!"- Unknown

God made Cops so Firefighters could have heroes!

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I'm waaaay past having any major parts of my body exposed. Believe me, it wouldn't add anything to the show!
    Proud member of PHROGGE's Aquarian Army

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

I hold my sticks on the far back end too.

Don't worry about the sticks until you get a metronome and measure your progress over 2 weeks time. When you hit a plateau then look at gear. I use Vic Firth 5A's religiously.

But seriously, get a metronome. see if you can play 16ths with both hands at something comfortable like 80bpm. Find increase by 10bpm at a time till you find your limit. after 2 weeks I bet your limit is higher.

User Info Menu

Thanks, guys. I got some new sticks and just showed my snare drum who's boss. I'm bouncing like a trampoline now. They should remake "Happy Gilmore" about drumming. "It's all in the wrists. It's all in the wrists."

User Info Menu

Just bought the Regal Tip Alex Van Halen signature sticks. Holy crap these things are long.

User Info Menu

i really love my vic firth 5a nylon tipped sticks
    MAPEX MAFIA

User Info Menu

Past: Vic Firth 5A wooden sticks

Present: Vic Firth 5A Nylon-tipped, red "vic-grip" sticks

Future: Most likely some version of Vic Firth 5A
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

I got Vic Firth 2B nylon-tipped.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate-Drummer View Post
    I got Vic Firth 2B nylon-tipped.
    I find heavier sticks to be too hard to control and more likely to damage my equipment. Be careful with those!
    Sabian Squad (Albeit Ironically )

Check out my Youtube Channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/AustVaiv?feature=mhee

User Info Menu

People people..its all about feel and balance..thats it in a nutshell, different for each and everyone of us.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

"Cobus" on Youtube looks like he plays near the the back ends of the sticks and is still really good, IMO.

User Info Menu

Just from my n00b opinion on his cover of "Toxicity" by System of a Down, it seems like he has his hands more on the bottom of the sticks and some kind of insane level of bounce.

User Info Menu

Chad Sexton holds his sticks at the end too. I took a few drum lessons in college and my teacher told me he didn't care "where" I held the sticks, but he was more concerned about "how" I held my sticks
    Tama Superstar (grey pewter)
    Ludwig LM400 snare
    Wuhan China
    Paiste Rude Cymbals
    -14" sound edge hats
    -19" thin crash
    -17" thin crash
    -24" mega power ride
    -10" splash

User Info Menu

I use Firth 3a hickory for my warmups so I get that heavier feel. I find I have to have my index/thumb right about equal to the "dotted I" in "Vic". The warmup consists of 16th's in the following pattern: Right 16th/Left 16th (repeat 10x), Right 16th/Right 16th/Left 16th/Left 16th (repeat 10x)...so on so forth until you are doing 4 in each had 10x. After that I switch up to Vater 5a hickory for my rudiments, sight-reading and beats. I hold the 5a's much lower, with my index/thumb only about 3 1/2 inches or so from the base of the stick. I find that when I do the switch, the 5a's feel so much easier to maneuver for me. On the flip side, if I do my warm-ups with my 5a's, I never feel the same level of comfort for my practice session as I do when I use the 3a's during warmup.

I dunno...might just be in my head too :P
    Last edited by Dagon2000; 03-16-2011 at 01:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by atomcorr2 View Post
    forget new sticks ,, the only way is ,,,,, practice,practice ,practice... When you were a baby crawling around ,you didnt one day just get up and run a marathon did you ? No you learned how to balance on your feet first , then you took a couple steps and fell down ,, then you got better at walking , then you learned how to run... But none of that was learned without lots of practice.... So find a set of sticks that feel good in your hands ,, then practice,practice, practice... Its the only way

plus ,,, if you hold your sticks too far back , they will never bounce ,, the bounce comes from the stick being balanced in you hand.
    +1

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY