Thread: zildjian A custom ride 20"

User Info Menu

Default zildjian A custom ride 20"

Hey, I just ordered me a zildjian A custom ride 20". Can't wait for it to arrive. Can anybody give meva clue as to what I can expect? Im hoping its not too "gongy" when I lay into it, and I'm hoping it has a nice musical "ting" to it.

Also got some k custom dark crashs 14" &16" & 8" splash.
    Hoping they're all as good as my research says they should be.

User Info Menu

Default Re: zildjian A custom ride 20"

Welcome to Drum Chat ChefDaddySTL!

I admit that I wasn't a fan of the A Custom 20" ride, even though I love the A Custom crashes. Of course, I only heard 1 early in my drumming, so tastes change. Keep in mind that cast cymbals in a series will be similar in sound, but not exactly the same, simply because of the manufacturing process. In general, that ride will have a pingy, bright sound, with a nice wash.

What's funny is that although I decided against the A Custom ride, I ended up with my go to ride being a 20" Sabian AAX Studio Ride, which is very similar to the 20" Zildjian A Custom Ride. Go figure, right? LOL

I'm sure you will be happy with your new ride. I am curious, though, why you chose to break the K Custom patten by not getting a K Custom ride?

Again, welcome!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Since picking up a set of A Customs a few months ago, I can say that the ride is the heaviest ride I've ever had.

As with most ride cymbals, the higher up you ride, the less wash you will get.

User Info Menu

My current set up includes an A Custom Ride (this is the standard A Custom, not the medium, not the ping, etc.).

If you want to hear what mine sounds like, here you go:

http://mpbc.ws/media/

Click on "Watch Worship" to hear it.

I went from a Sabian AA Rock Ride to this. It was quite an adjustment, but it's been good. It definitely has a higher-pitch "ping" or "ding" to it when you play. To be totally honest, when I first got it, I thought it had some weird overtones to it that couldn't be heard unless I was behind the kit. If someone else plays it, and I stand in front of the kit, I really don't hear the overtones, and the more that I play the cymbal, the less apparent they seem to be. From the audience it sounds pretty darn amazing. If you really lay into it, it will wash out a little.

One thing that I'm really digging about using lighter and smaller cymbals is that my kit now sounds more naturally "eq'ed." In other words, when I was using my larger cymbals and my thicker ride, it's like my drums would oftentimes get overshadowed by such large cymbals. However, now that I've switched to lighter cymbals and ride, it all sounds really well balanced.

I'm sure you'll be happy with it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by porkpieguy View Post
    My current set up includes an A Custom Ride (this is the standard A Custom, not the medium, not the ping, etc.).

If you want to hear what mine sounds like, here you go:

http://mpbc.ws/media/

Click on "Watch Worship" to hear it.

I went from a Sabian AA Rock Ride to this. It was quite an adjustment, but it's been good. It definitely has a higher-pitch "ping" or "ding" to it when you play. To be totally honest, when I first got it, I thought it had some weird overtones to it that couldn't be heard unless I was behind the kit. If someone else plays it, and I stand in front of the kit, I really don't hear the overtones, and the more that I play the cymbal, the less apparent they seem to be. From the audience it sounds pretty darn amazing. If you really lay into it, it will wash out a little.

One thing that I'm really digging about using lighter and smaller cymbals is that my kit now sounds more naturally "eq'ed." In other words, when I was using my larger cymbals and my thicker ride, it's like my drums would oftentimes get overshadowed by such large cymbals. However, now that I've switched to lighter cymbals and ride, it all sounds really well balanced.

I'm sure you'll be happy with it!

Good stuff...........love the sound of that ride

User Info Menu

The A Custom Ride I've played was really only good for lower volumes, way too washy for me. The crash also had some weird overtones in it. I think that one was just a bad cymbal, though...

User Info Menu

I've got the regular A Custom ride and I love the ping it gives, it's got a great bell and crashes very well. I like every thing about it except the ping is a little low sounding. I'm guessing the medium ride will deliver a louder ping, but then the over tones might not be as good then? I think you'll enjoy this cymbal. Remember it's all in the weights, my 20" weighs in at 2065 grams...that's light, not heavy. I had a A Custom Ping ride once that sucker was around 3000 grams , it had a heavy ping but it had terrible undertones. But the regular a custom ride is very good ride cymbal IMO. I one in my avatar photo, the logo sets (balanced/unbalanced?) around the 8:00 position. It was made in 1999 so it's had time to age, another reason old (used) cymbals may sound better?

Tells us what you think when you get the A Custom ride.

Rock on!
    Last edited by PlanetZildjian; 02-20-2014 at 03:57 PM. Reason: spelling sux
    9 out of 10 people addicted to brake fluid can't stop!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ChefDaddySTL View Post
    Also got some k custom dark crashs 14" &16" & 8" splash.
    Hoping they're all as good as my research says they should be.
    They are.............

I have a 15" K dark crash that I love.............a serious little cymbal.
    My hats are 13" K dark thin............awesome.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)