Thread: Istanbul Agop Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Istanbul Agop Cymbals

Thought I'd start a thread for Istanbul Agop cymbals.

So guys-n-gals...........show your Istanbul Agop stuff.

Here's mine - I have some Mini Hats ordered as well.....should be here in a few months.
    There is one Istanbul Alchemy Bell "Professional Series" and an Agop Turk (top row center - the Alchemy Bell is to your right of that). The Turk is a 16 Crash/Ride - they don't have them in the catalog. The wholesaler ordered CPT16 which are Crash Paper Thin Traditional series, but the factory wrote it up as CRT16 which is a Crash Ride Turk 16, so they sent three thin 16” turks instead of the normal heavier turk crashes.
    I bought the last one because I thought it was kind of a unique cymbal. They've changed the ordering # system since then so the mistake wouldn't make that mistake again - too bad - it's a great cymbal. I use it a lot and it's one of my favorites! Funny how those things happen.

Cymbal cleaning day yesterday:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kona; 09-20-2009 at 07:13 PM.
    Gary

User Info Menu

Default Re: Istanbul Agop Cymbals

Wow man, very impressive collection there!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Just acquired a 16" Istanbul Agop Sultan crash (and I also use it as a ride!)
    Beautiful cymbal,beautiful appearance,Beautiful sound!!.....It's ........a Beautiful thing!!

User Info Menu

Very nice setup Kona! Istanbul are some of the best cymbals I've used. They are big in the jazz scene, but otherwise very underrated. 100% handmade in Turkey, very similar to the vintage Ks in sound, in fact Agop worked in the K factory until it closed in the 70s. They are priced fairly cheap compared to similar quality cymbals like Zildjian Ks.

Just a little history for those that are interested in Istanbul, the company split in the mid 90s. There are now 2 different lines under the Istanbul name, Agop and Mehmet. Both are top notch and pretty much the same cymbals. The company split as the result of the death of Agop, and the Agop line is now run by his 2 sons. Mehmet was the other original partner who went his seperate way. You can't go wrong with either line. The pre-split cymbals are becoming more and more of a collectors item though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    Very nice setup Kona! Istanbul are some of the best cymbals I've used. They are big in the jazz scene, but otherwise very underrated. 100% handmade in Turkey, very similar to the vintage Ks in sound, in fact Agop worked in the K factory until it closed in the 70s. They are priced fairly cheap compared to similar quality cymbals like Zildjian Ks.

Just a little history for those that are interested in Istanbul, the company split in the mid 90s. There are now 2 different lines under the Istanbul name, Agop and Mehmet. Both are top notch and pretty much the same cymbals. The company split as the result of the death of Agop, and the Agop line is now run by his 2 sons. Mehmet was the other original partner who went his seperate way. You can't go wrong with either line. The pre-split cymbals are becoming more and more of a collectors item though.
    Ya - I've read some of the history myself - good stuff. Thanks for posting that.

I love these cymbals and I got a really fantastic deal on the first 13 I bought. I was going in to buy maybe 4 and when I heard the price I was getting I got a little carried away - lol
    Gary

User Info Menu

I've got one of their crashes and love it, great sounding cymbal.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

steel5blue Guest

P1000804.jpg
    Anybody interested in including the "other" Istanbuls?-
    This is my modest collection- there's actually one Agop among them.

User Info Menu

I have a pair of Istanbul Agop TRADITIONAL FUNK HIHATS. Very nice. They have the vented flat bottom hat.

When I bought them (2nd hand), there was alot of black gunk on the top hat from stick wear. I decided to clean it off. What do you guys think of cleaning these cymbals? I've heard that people never do. Although I like the darker sound, I decided to clean off the gunk so I wouldn't mash it into the drumheads and other cymbals. What do you guys think? I hope I haven't ruined them from cleaning them.

User Info Menu

I recently purchased 3 green label pre split Istanbul Agop and Mehmet cymbals. I know all about Istanbul cymbals. I am having no luck finding out how rare my 12" hi hats are though. They make newer versions on both lines but I have found nothing about these. They were purchased in Turkey in 1992. My 21" and 20" have a 1991 production date stamp on them. No such stamp on the 12". They have the Zilleri stamp on top with both Agop and Mehmets names stamped. All are of course signed by both Agop and Mehmet. Could someone give me some info on the rarity of the hi hats?

User Info Menu

Holy crap that makes my collection look not like a collection.. I don't even want to post it up now. lol

User Info Menu

Has anyone played the Istanbul Agop Trash Hit series cymbals?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    Has anyone played the Istanbul Agop Trash Hit series cymbals?
    I played the 12". They're very thin cymbals. Sounded great! And amazing in a stack.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Cool, I was thinking of getting one to add to a hand percussion setup. I heard they're thin enough to be played by hand. I wish there was at least one place around here that sells Istanbul.

User Info Menu

Istanbuls' Lower end cymbals are fantastic as well. I recently got an Istanbul Agop 16 Xist crash and it is the best crash cymbal I have ever played.
    6 Piece Pearl Masters Custom Extra Maple
    14x5.5 Snare
    10x8 Tom
    12x9 Tom
    14x12 Floor Tom
    15x13 Floor Tom
    22x16 Bass Drum

Miscellaneous Hardware
    14 inch Zildjian Quick Beats
    16 inch Istanbul Xist Crash
    20 inch Meinl HCS ride.