Thread: Hand pain when playing fast

User Info Menu

Default Hand pain when playing fast

I've been using French grip for a while now because it's the most comfortable way for me to hold sticks. The only thing is that when I play fast for a while, I start to get a really tight muscle pain near the bottom of my thumb in the middle of my palm. It gets so bad that I need to stop playing to let it rest. I know there aren't many French grip players out there because it's just not a useful grip, but I just wanted to share with the forum. Anyone have a similar experience?
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Default Re: Hand pain when playing fast

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    I've been using French grip for a while now because it's the most comfortable way for me to hold sticks. The only thing is that when I play fast for a while, I start to get a really tight muscle pain near the bottom of my thumb in the middle of my palm. It gets so bad that I need to stop playing to let it rest. I know there aren't many French grip players out there because it's just not a useful grip, but I just wanted to share with the forum. Anyone have a similar experience?

Mike, there shouldn't be any pain when you are playing, whether it's fast, slow, or somewhere in between.

Outside of getting blisters when I started out, I never had any pain until arthritis kicked in a few years ago.

Maybe when you are playing fast you start to put more pressure on the sticks. I don't change how much pressure I hold the sticks with whether I'm playing fast or slow.

Hold the sticks out and gradually loosen your grip until the sticks fall out of you hands. Go back a little bit from that point and that's all the pressure you need to hold the sticks no matter what you are playing.