Thread: Wanting a new snare drum...

User Info Menu

Default Wanting a new snare drum...

I need some help with choosing a new snare, preferrably a metal one. So far i have liked the Ludwig supralite and acrolite in 14x5.5 and 14x6.5.
    I haven't seen these snares in person so it would be good to hear a first hand account of the sound and build quality.
    I am also open to suggestions of other good snares at around the prices of the supralites and acrolites.

Henry.
    Technique doesn't mean **** if you can't blast beat and spin sticks - Steve Gadd

User Info Menu

Default Re: Wanting a new snare drum...

Quote Originally Posted by Tamastar View Post
    I need some help with choosing a new snare, preferrably a metal one. So far i have liked the Ludwig supralite and acrolite in 14x5.5 and 14x6.5.
    I haven't seen these snares in person so it would be good to hear a first hand account of the sound and build quality.
    I am also open to suggestions of other good snares at around the prices of the supralites and acrolites.

Henry.
    Ludwig rules snare world!!.....period

all the best...

User Info Menu

I have the 13" Supralite, and it has been a real surprise for me - all in good ways. Build quality and tonality has been far beyond expectations.

I also have a mid-70s Acrolite. I've lost count on the exact number of Acrolites and Supras I've had over the years, but they all deliver. Not a complaint. (Yes, I replaced a throw off or two, but I wore them out. None will last forever.)

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

You can't go wrong with the Acrolite. Great sounding snare, and you can usually find them used for around $125.
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    "I shall either find a way or make one"

User Info Menu

Yamaha has a steel 10 lug stage custom series that Guitar Center has on sale for $99 bucks every month or two.
    For $99 bucks ,it's a steal.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums...om-steel-snare
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

I bought a new Acrolite 14x6.5 reissue about 6 months ago. Nice snare! No issues or complaints!

User Info Menu

I am more than pleased with the sound, look and price of the Chad Smith Signature snare!! Try to find it in your area. Its the black nickel one

It retails for about $370 Canadian but I got it for $260 after discount.

Sounds warm, and very poppy

just my 2 cents

TAMA HYPERDRIVE BIRCH (rare champagne sparkle finish), TAMA hardware and SABIAN cymbals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Ludwig rules snare world!!.....period

all the best...
    That's what i've heard and that's why i have been looking at mainly Ludwigs.
    Technique doesn't mean **** if you can't blast beat and spin sticks - Steve Gadd

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post
    Yamaha has a steel 10 lug stage custom series that Guitar Center has on sale for $99 bucks every month or two.
    For $99 bucks ,it's a steal.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums...om-steel-snare
    I will have a look and see, looks interesting.

User Info Menu

how about the Ludwig Black Magic? That snare is a BEAST!

User Info Menu

There are tons of acrolites on the internet for sale. Check'm out.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    how about the Ludwig Black Magic? That snare is a BEAST!
    Looks like a great snare, but may be out of my price range.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spikeithard View Post
    I am more than pleased with the sound, look and price of the Chad Smith Signature snare!! Try to find it in your area. Its the black nickel one

It retails for about $370 Canadian but I got it for $260 after discount.

Sounds warm, and very poppy

just my 2 cents

You got to ask yourself why Chad never used his sig snare drum much at most of his gigs.
    Nice looking drum,but very ordinary sounding.
    Used,they go for around $130 on the high end in prime condition.
    I bought one for $85 bucks a few years ago and sold it.
    Here's a YT of mine.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qEA5UOg34o
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes