Thread: Tama Superstar Classic Maple

User Info Menu

Default Tama Superstar Classic Maple

Has anyone played these? I've seen some videos, and they sound great, but I've never seen them in person. I know they are made with Asian Maple, not North American, but I've heard they are still a nice hardwood and the sound is similar to Starclassic Maple. The prices on the shell kits are very tempting, especially the 5 piece in White Sparkle, which they must be trying to move because I've seen them as low as $499!
    My next kit was supposed to be something more pro level like a Starclassic Maple or B/B, but rather than buy one of those used or wait a long time to put the funds aside for it, I could grab one of these.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tama Superstar Classic Maple

Quote Originally Posted by nubdrummer View Post
    Has anyone played these? I've seen some videos, and they sound great, but I've never seen them in person. I know they are made with Asian Maple, not North American, but I've heard they are still a nice hardwood and the sound is similar to Starclassic Maple. The prices on the shell kits are very tempting, especially the 5 piece in White Sparkle, which they must be trying to move because I've seen them as low as $499!
    My next kit was supposed to be something more pro level like a Starclassic Maple or B/B, but rather than buy one of those used or wait a long time to put the funds aside for it, I could grab one of these.
    Yes, I played this Superstar Classic kit (26" kick) but in birch at my local "mom and pop" music store and I was really considered buying it at $799 and I found it on clearance a week later discounted as "clearance" at $699 but I know the wife would of NOT of liked me to buy another kit since I just got rid of three on CL with four still sitting in the garage.

The Asian wood is not as hard as North American wood so there's a lack of clarity in the resonance but in my opinion, it could of been due to the stock factory heads from mainland China which use inferior poly film compared to let's say, Remo UT (Taiwan) or Remo UK (Korea) from Remo's Taiwan factory. After checking inventory and availability online, I'm finding this configurations as shown as "discontinued" at the "Big Box Stores". One big plus, these are lacquered finished shells and look amazing in person. I'd defiantly consider snagging one of these kits since I can't afford the SC series.

Features and Configuration:

•Bass drum(s): 26" x 14"
    •Tom(s): 13" x 9"
    •Floor tom(s): 16" x 16", 18" x 16"
    •Snare: Not applicable
    •Total pieces: 4
    •Hardware: Not applicable
    •Cymbals: Not applicable
    •Shells
    •Shell material: Birch
    •Construction: 6-Ply
    •Thickness (mm): 6.0
    •Bearing edge: 45
    •Reinforcement ring: Not applicable
    •Drum Hardware
    •Material: Steel
    •Mounts: Suspended
    •Hoops: Triple-flange
    •Lugs: Standard
    •Other
    •Heads: Factory
    •Finish type: Lacquer
    •Country of origin: China
    Last edited by late8; 03-03-2017 at 03:13 PM.

User Info Menu

I own a set....

I have a buddy who offered me $700.00 for all 7 shells. He's local so no shipping involved. They aren't sold yet. LOL
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Here's some other shots I just found. What a stunning blue sparkle this is.

[/url]

[/url]
    Signature here

User Info Menu

saw one today at GC a nice red sparkle..looks nice but asian maple is asian maple so probably not gonna sound any different than other asian maple kits, Catalina, pdp concept, one of the visions.etc etc.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

They used one this year for the Drum Off at GC . It was that Du-co Blue finish . They had it set up the week leading to the contest . I got to play it and compare it to the Pearl Decade Maples . Both were the same sizes but the Tama had the Evans EC 2 heads where the Pearl had the stock heads . I have to be honest ... the Peals won that one hands down . My 15 year old niece who also plays drums felt the same . Compared to the Pearls they did lack some clarity . The Pears just sounded ... bigger . It is a beautiful looking set . The lugs on the Pearl just look cheap to me but the Tama reminds me of the Cobalt Blue Imperial Stars I had years ago . But still like the Silver Star kit I had last year I did not like the way it sounded .
    But I guess you'll have to go and play one yourself . My needs and situation differ from yours and only you can tell if it would work for you or not .

User Info Menu

Yeah good point, those pearl decades sound very very good for what they are. I wonder how they did that? Played one a few weeks ago and would have no problems owning one
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Nothing to add other then the videos ive seen they sound amazing. Love the flat black finish. Nobody sitting in the audience at your next gig is going to say "It sounds like the drummer has an inferior Asian maple kit".

User Info Menu

Wow! ! love that blue
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Nothing to add other then the videos ive seen they sound amazing. Love the flat black finish. Nobody sitting in the audience at your next gig is going to say "It sounds like the drummer has an inferior Asian maple kit".
    I know that they would sound great and that no one in the audience would know (or care) what species of wood the drummer's kit is. For me though, if this is going to be my last kit purchase, I'd hate to regret not getting NA maple. I've started to look at the DW Design Series, which is NA maple and has most if not all the features found on their more expensive lines. They are much cheaper likely due to being production kits made in Taiwan and only 4 finishes are available. Still I have to hear them in order to decide if it's worth paying $1500 for a 5 piece shell kit when I can get a 7 piece Superstar Classic for $900.

Acoustic Kits:
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:

Cymbals:

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    +1..............

User Info Menu

I know that they would sound great and that no one in the audience would know (or care) what species of wood the drummer's kit is. For me though, if this is going to be my last kit purchase, I'd hate to regret not getting NA maple. I've started to look at the DW Design Series, which is NA maple and has most if not all the features found on their more expensive lines. They are much cheaper likely due to being production kits made in Taiwan and only 4 finishes are available. Still I have to hear them in order to decide if it's worth paying $1500 for a 5 piece shell kit when I can get a 7 piece Superstar Classic for $900.
    I just got a DW Design last week. The "new kit syndrome" hasn't worn off yet, so I can't make an unbiased assessment, but so far I love them. I will be making a sound check video for my YouTube channel in the next couple of weeks. I will send you a link when done if it will help.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Yes, I played this Superstar Classic kit (26" kick) but in birch at my local "mom and pop" music store and I was really considered buying it at $799 and I found it on clearance a week later discounted as "clearance" at $699 but I know the wife would of NOT of liked me to buy another kit since I just got rid of three on CL with four still sitting in the garage.

The Asian wood is not as hard as North American wood so there's a lack of clarity in the resonance but in my opinion, it could of been due to the stock factory heads from mainland China which use inferior poly film compared to let's say, Remo UT (Taiwan) or Remo UK (Korea) from Remo's Taiwan factory. After checking inventory and availability online, I'm finding this configurations as shown as "discontinued" at the "Big Box Stores". One big plus, these are lacquered finished shells and look amazing in person. I'd defiantly consider snagging one of these kits since I can't afford the SC series.

Features and Configuration:

•Bass drum(s): 26" x 14"
    •Tom(s): 13" x 9"
    •Floor tom(s): 16" x 16", 18" x 16"
    •Snare: Not applicable
    •Total pieces: 4
    •Hardware: Not applicable
    •Cymbals: Not applicable
    •Shells
    •Shell material: Birch
    •Construction: 6-Ply
    •Thickness (mm): 6.0
    •Bearing edge: 45
    •Reinforcement ring: Not applicable
    •Drum Hardware
    •Material: Steel
    •Mounts: Suspended
    •Hoops: Triple-flange
    •Lugs: Standard
    •Other
    •Heads: Factory
    •Finish type: Lacquer
    •Country of origin: China
    Beautiful drums. I've always wanted a "big" set. A while ago someone was selling the same kit on kijiji. Way too expensive for me though. I can't remember what they were asking.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    I just got a DW Design last week. The "new kit syndrome" hasn't worn off yet, so I can't make an unbiased assessment, but so far I love them. I will be making a sound check video for my YouTube channel in the next couple of weeks. I will send you a link when done if it will help.
    That would be perfect, thanks!

Acoustic Kits:
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:

Cymbals:

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Bish.....................
    That blue sparkle wrap is remarkable................very pretty.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Bish.....................
    That blue sparkle wrap is remarkable................very pretty.
    Thank you, sir. It sounds as good as it sounds. I had a local guy offer me $700 to take it home. I'm waiting for him to man up and come get it or it may still be for sale.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    I finally got a chance to see a Design kit in person and play it. It was a display model on a shelf in a store and the guy graciously took it down and set it up for me even though I told him up front I wasn't buying that day. Obviously it wasn't tuned and had factory heads on it but the snare and kick sounded great already. The toms needed some tweaking. Overall I was impressed with the hardware and finish(it was a Tobacco Burst). I was also surprisingly light, although maybe that's because I'm used to my SuperStars, which are probably heavier than average.
    I am definitely considering pulling the trigger.

Acoustic Kits:
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:

Cymbals:

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

I finally got a chance to see a Design kit in person and play it. It was a display model on a shelf in a store and the guy graciously took it down and set it up for me even though I told him up front I wasn't buying that day. Obviously it wasn't tuned and had factory heads on it but the snare and kick sounded great already. The toms needed some tweaking. Overall I was impressed with the hardware and finish(it was a Tobacco Burst). I was also surprisingly light, although maybe that's because I'm used to my SuperStars, which are probably heavier than average.
    I am definitely considering pulling the trigger.
    I dig the color choice. I don't think you can go wrong with DW....pictures or it didn't happen.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I dig the color choice. I don't think you can go wrong with DW....pictures or it didn't happen.
    Placed the order today, supposed be delivered Thursday! I know, I know, pics or it didn't happen!

Acoustic Kits:
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:

Cymbals:

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Placed the order today, supposed be delivered Thursday! I know, I know, pics or it didn't happen!
    You went with the DW's !? Great choice ! Can't wait to see them ...
    Good for you !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    You went with the DW's !? Great choice ! Can't wait to see them ...
    Good for you !
    Yep, pulled the trigger! I promised my wife this would be my last kit. She said it will be with THIS wife!
    Anyway I'm psyched for it to come and now that I'm in two bands, there should be plenty of opportunities to play out with it(indoor venues only)!

Acoustic Kits:
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:

Cymbals:

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Yep, pulled the trigger! I promised my wife this would be my last kit. She said it will be with THIS wife!
    Anyway I'm psyched for it to come and now that I'm in two bands, there should be plenty of opportunities to play out with it(indoor venues only)!
    Congrats on the DW Design Series! Tobacco burst finish right? I made the same promise to my wife"...last kit".

User Info Menu

That is so awesome. Congratulations. Even I'm giddy....LOL
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I finally got a chance to see a Design kit in person and play it. It was a display model on a shelf in a store and the guy graciously took it down and set it up for me even though I told him up front I wasn't buying that day. I am definitely considering pulling the trigger.
    Placed the order today, supposed be delivered Thursday!
    Yep, pulled the trigger!
    Congrats on the new kit.
    Clearly, this salesman knows what he is doing.
    When possible, you owe him your return business.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

The kit has arrived, so I feel I should continue this thread on the DW sticky.

Acoustic Kits:
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:

Cymbals:

Microphones: