Thread: Gene Krupa

User Info Menu

Default Gene Krupa

One of the most flamboyant, inventive jazz drummers to hit the stage and screen, Gene Krupa.

He was well known for using Slingerland Drums and got them to produce tuneable toms.Gene also helped develop the modern Hi Hat pedal with Zildjian.

Here he is in action.

Last edited by stick clicker; 09-24-2011 at 10:28 AM.
    Current Set-Up - Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz, Paiste Signature

Damaru - The drum of Shiva.

Hows my drumming? http://soundcloud.com/bilton-grange

Say Hi - http://www.facebook.com/biltongrangemusic

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gene Krupa

He was one of my inspirations to play drums! But Keith Hall still remains my #1 influence...

Really cool. I never knew he developed the hi hat pedal, but he developed it with Zildjian? Even cooler.
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Who was Gene Krupas drum influences ? What was different about his playing style from other drummers at that time and even today ? Do you think the famous rock drummers of our time were influenced by Krupa ? I ask these questions to get drummers thinking how the great drummers have influenced the evolution of drumming. Gene Krupa was my biggest influence on playing the drums and there were many more drummers that have influence me to some degree but krupa was my inspiration.
    Last edited by Jackie; 11-22-2011 at 02:29 PM.

User Info Menu

Gene and Buddy Rich where the best drummers of the big band era. I can't realy say who was the best but Buddy was allways my favorite of all drummers and Gene second.

Larrysperf Guest

Both had their good and bad points. I like Gene but thats just me as I met him when I was 8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
    Who was Gene Krupas drum influences ? What was different about his playing style from other drummers at that time and even today ? Do you think the famous rock drummers of our time were influenced by Krupa ? I ask these questions to get drummers thinking how the great drummers have influenced the evolution of drumming. Gene Krupa was my biggest influence on playing the drums and there were many more drummers that have influence me to some degree but krupa was my inspiration.
    Every current drummer owes a nod to Krupa. Check out his wikipedia page for a list of things that he brought to the table.

Tan

User Info Menu

Gene was a great drummer to be sure. I saw him at the Metropole, him and Cozy Cole would play there in the mid-60's.

There were records in the 60's of drum battles between him and Rich (Buddy liked and respected Krupa), I have them in storage with all my albums from the 60's.

Krupa was great fun to watch, but he never had the technique that Rich had.

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Gene was a great drummer to be sure. I saw him at the Metropole, him and Cozy Cole would play there in the mid-60's.

There were records in the 60's of drum battles between him and Rich (Buddy liked and respected Krupa), I have them in storage with all my albums from the 60's.

never mind

User Info Menu

He was also the first drummer to use splash cymbals

User Info Menu

Talk about bringing back old threads but I do agree with Rick on Buddy Rich and Gene Kupra.

User Info Menu

Going to bump this since I was thinking about him today.

He is one of my influences and one of the reasons I started playing. He was good friends with my grandfather back in New York.

Along with creating the hi hat, I believe he also named the crash, splash and ride cymbals.

He was also Peter Criss' (of KISS) drum teacher.
    Mapex Meridian Maple
    12"x9", 14"x14", 16"x16", 22"x18"

Addiction Drum Design custom 14"x7" segment snare
    Ludwig Epic 14"x7" "Brick" snare with custom paint
    DW Collector's Series 14"x6.5" Black Nickel Over Brass snare

Zildjian A Custom
    14" Mastersound HiHats
    16" Projection Crash
    18" Projection Crash
    21" Rezo Ride

Evans Drum Heads

Meinl Cajon
    Meinl Large Studio Shaker
    LP Egg Shaker
    LP Cyclops Tambourine

User Info Menu

Rich and Krupa made a few "drum battle" albums back in the late '50's and "60's. I stole a ton of stuff from them.

Rich also did a "Rich vs Roach" album way back when. He ate Roach up.

User Info Menu

Being a metal,punk,rock guy you won't think I would know who Gene Krupa, and buddy rich are. In fact their my inspirationto play fast tom fills with single pedal and not double pedal.I love Gene's style too.

User Info Menu

very cool series on some history of drumming with Daniel Glass

Last edited by Olimpass; 09-16-2014 at 06:18 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    very cool series on some history of drumming with Daniel Glass
    Very cool stuff. I didn't know Krupa had so much influence on dual tension toms.

Sing, Sing, Sing is still one of my favorite drum songs.
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Buddy once said he could hit the cymbal 8 times to Gene's one hit and Gene got more applause for the one cymbal hit. I believe Gene was a showman and Buddy was more technical. I like them both. I think most of todays showman drummers can thanks Krupa and more technical can thank Rich. Just an opinion.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

Is and always will be one of my fav drummers. Gave us as drummers a lot.
    So whats so wrong with laughing. Some need to learn to laugh

User Info Menu

Very interesting video about Gene, great drummer.

https://youtu.be/UEeIwooW0Uk

User Info Menu

Both Buddy Rich and Gene Krupa were the inspiration for countless drummers and you could draw a line from their generation right up to a lot of famous drummers through the 60's, 70's and right up to today. Another great contemporary of these two guys [and who doesn't get the same mention as them] was Louis Bellson. He was definitely on a par with those guys and I tend to think of them as a "Trilogy" of guys who influenced us all. And ...yes ...I concede that Buddy was the greatest ever.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ljmarch View Post

He was also Peter Criss' (of KISS) drum teacher.
    Apparently he didn't teach him very much.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post

Rick I also don't think Gene had the speed that Rich had. Just my 2 cents a. and Gene was my fav then Buddy
    So whats so wrong with laughing. Some need to learn to laugh

User Info Menu

I was watching the last interview that Buddy did in 1987 on The Parkinson show. I found him in good spirit even though he had a brain tumor. It's interesting to hear his views on the massive changes in popular music during this time period.

On April 2, 1987, Rich died of heart failure following surgery for a malignant brain tumor
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 04-03-2015 at 07:26 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Apparently he didn't teach him very much.
    Criss could play like a madman, when he was sober.

User Info Menu

Krupa swingin' it..
    Last edited by Olimpass; 04-04-2015 at 09:23 PM.