Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unique gig coming up...

User Info Menu

Default Re: Unique gig coming up...

Happy for you that it went well.

User Info Menu

Brian, that's a great review and I'm so glad it went well.

But what did you expect? Well done!

You are going to have to hire that train engineer now...
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Thanks guys! The drive home was not tooooo bad. I got home about 3:30AM. We have another gig on Thursday of next week for the local Chamber of Commerce, then the last weekend in July will be a big one. Friday the 29th at a place 75 miles away, then Saturday night the 30th is the gig where the beer garden will be filled with soap suds. I be had a couple new venues ask about booking us, but I think we'll take most of August off to learn some new songs. We have our big band party/jam on Aug 27th. If anyone wants to travel to Nebraska, you're all invited!
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

N2bluz How far would your place be roughly from Ft. Lauderdale Florida?

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    N2bluz How far would your place be roughly from Ft. Lauderdale Florida?

all the best...
    1650 miles, give or take.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    1650 miles, give or take.
    Ouch! Any airports around there?

all the best...

User Info Menu

LOL, Omaha is around 100 miles away. KC is about 150 miles.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

I just confirmed a booking for a gig in early July. It's in a city that's about a 2hr drive (one way), which will be the greatest distance we have played out. It's a small bar that has live music every weekend. Seems like a cool, "blue collar" type of place. Here's the "odd" part; the weekend we're playing, the city will be having their annual music festival. There will 1,000s of people in town for the festival. The bar we're playing is right off of downtown, but literally 10 blocks away in the city park, Blackfoot and Molly Hatchet will be playing.
    I expressed concern about having to compete (albeit indirectly). The bar owner is super nice, and she assured me that the place will be busy from "overflow". I figure it's either going to be a "bust", or a really good opportunity for us to gain exposure to a new market. I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.
    In our little town, there is an outdoor concert series during the summer that attracts some pretty big name acts, both rock and country. (Dave Mathews, Van Halen, Luke Bryan, Journey, lots of pretty big shows.) The best local gig for bands is a bar almost across the street from the big venue. They get serious overflow after the show is over, almost every time.

I bet you're gonna have a great night!

User Info Menu

It was a pretty good night...it was last weekend. Almost all the local bars (town of 25,000 people) had bands that night. During our last break, we talked with a group of people that had been bar-hopping. They told us we were the best band they heard that night and wished they had just come to hear us first. That felt good hearing complete strangers say that.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Back when I was gigging a two hour drive was a weekly occurrence unless we had a gig at our home town club. Sometimes we would not see home for 3 weeks. Piece of cake, glad it went well.

User Info Menu

UPDATE:

We played our gig last night (the one in the original post). It went really well. There was not a huge crowd, but we played outside in a small beer garden and it was full. There was no one inside the bar, they were all outside listening to us. Most importantly, the people that were there stayed all night and were really getting into ALL the music we played. We got tons of complements, not only about how good they thought we sounded, but also how much they loved our wide variety of music styles. Lots of dancing, hootin' and hollerin' and crowd interaction. Everyone was asking where we were from and when we would be back. We sold lots of our band's logo bumper stickers and koozies. The bartenders said everyone told them that "we were the band they want" playing there.

There was one fight that broke out in the crowd. We actually stopped playing in the middle of a song. Our guitar player announced over the PA that if they're going to fight, we're packing up and going home, LOL. It didn't take long for things to self rectify, and we started right back up where we left off.

Another odd thing happened. The place was only 1 block from major railroad tracks. About 10:00 we played Folsom Prison Blues (as usual). At the end of the song, exactly as we ended the song and I was doing a roll on the cymbals, a diesel train came by and blew their horn, LOL. The timing was perfect and the crowd went nuts, LOL. First time that's ever happened.
    "When I hear that whistle blowing, I hang my head and cry..."

-Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

Thought I'd give an update. We played 2 gigs last weekend. Friday night was awesome. We played the tiny bar in the middle of nowhere again. Great crowd that was really into us all night. I even got to play my 6-string banjo on a few songs and had a blast. We got several leads on gigs at new venues that night. It feels good when multiple people come from 50 miles away to hear you, ask for your card and say they're going to give it to their home town bar and demand they book us. Saturday night was kind of a flop. That was the "suds party" (Beergarden filled with soap suds). The soap suds thing was not very impressive. Everyone hung out on one end and there was a big pile of suds on the other.....that was about it, LOL. We were on our A-game, but the crowd was dead. They didn't leave, but just sat and drank beer all night. It was the 3rd time we played there and the first two were the same way. The bar owner wants us back, but I really don't care if we ever play there again.

On the up side, another place 30 miles away called and wanted to book us for 3 gigs. I had to turn one down due to a prior booking, but I booked the other two. One is next month for a biker poker-run and the other is for Halloween. It appears to be a pretty popular place for live music, so it should have potential. Another place then called and wanted us for Halloween. I told them we were already booked and they offered us more money to play their place, but I had to turn it down for ethical reasons. Instead, they booked us for an alternate date in November. Things are really starting to take off, but we only want to gig twice a month at the most. Right now we're booked up to December. I hate to book to far into the future...half of us have one foot in the grave and the other half are too young to make firm commitments.
    -Brian