Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: John Bonham

User Info Menu

Default Re: John Bonham

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I always thought that Heart was a better band then Zep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    Heart is well known as being very heavily influenced by Led Zeppelin.
    Definitely easier on the eyes!

I was in love with Ann in the 80's..................her and Stevie Nicks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    Heart is well known as being very heavily influenced by Led Zeppelin.

Having seen Heart numerous times and sometimes other things, I have never heard anything in their playing that reminded me of zep

User Info Menu

When I was a kid Ann Wilson and Roger ? The guitar player rented a house on our street in Tsawwassen (Vancouver area) when they were first starting out with "Magic Man" etc, Nancy Wilson and I guess the drummer woud come over to their place all the time, Mushroom records was about 1/2 hr away.. Roger would play guitar in the back yard for us kids but they never invited us inside. .I wonder why
    And yes on many tracks they reference Led Zeppelin, they also did some of their songs on some live records Stairway to Heaven, Battle of evermore, they also performed with Jason Bonham at Kennedy Center in 2012
    Last edited by myk; 03-04-2016 at 04:50 PM.

User Info Menu

Having seen Heart numerous times and sometimes other things, I have never heard anything in their playing that reminded me of zep
    Last edited by Olimpass; 04-11-2017 at 10:19 PM.

User Info Menu

I just watched that Olympass. Very cool
    Last edited by myk; 03-04-2016 at 07:21 PM.

User Info Menu

I've listened to several songs by Heart spread out over a period of time and still fail to hear any zep in there.

Playing a song by a given band doesn't mean that that band is a influence. It can just mean that you like the song.

Over the years, I've heard so many drummers say that Buddy was a big influence on their playing. At the same time, listening to them play a lot of times, there is nothing that even remotely resembles anything Rich did.

Some people can really hear something that is a obvious influence from a different band and some people hear what they want to hear, whether it's there or not, and some people just don't hear it.

I don't hear it. I can live with that.

User Info Menu

Acoustic & Electronic:
    Pearl Prestige World Series WLX 1988
    Tama Swingstar 1983
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch) 2007
    Ludwig Acrolite Snare 1976
    Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5x14" 2021
    Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum 5.5" and 6.5" Snare
    Pearl COB Custom Deluxe [Gladstone] (75-76) Snare
    Love Drum Co. Hammered Steel 5.5" Snare
    Roland TD-1KV

Paiste
    Accent 8"

Paiste Signature:
    6", 10" Splash
    14" Dark Crisp Hi-Hats
    14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats
    16", 17", 18",19", 20" Full Crash
    22" Symphonic Med-Heavy (use as a Ride)

Paiste Formula 602:
    22" Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride

Paiste 2oo2:
    22" Ride
    16" Crash
    8",10" Splash

Paiste 2oo2 Big Beat:
    15" Hi-Hats
    19", 20", 21" Big Beat Multifunctional

Paiste Sound Formula:
    16" Crash
    20" Full Ride (Frankenstein)

Paiste Twenty:
    16" China

Paiste Alpha (original Swiss made):
    12" Splash

Paiste PST7:
    Medium
    16", 18" Crash
    20" Ride
    14" Hi-Hats

Sabian:
    XS20 18" China
    AA 14" Fusion Hi-Hats

User Info Menu

I saw that performance months ago and I thought Heart/Jason Bonham did a great job on Stairway to heaven. I was surprised to see tears coming out of Jimmy Page. Great performance.

User Info Menu

+1
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I saw that performance months ago and I thought Heart/Jason Bonham did a great job on Stairway to heaven. I was surprised to see tears coming out of Jimmy Page. Great performance.
    An incredible performance. I've watched it many times!
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I've listened to several songs by Heart spread out over a period of time and still fail to hear any zep in there.

Playing a song by a given band doesn't mean that that band is a influence. It can just mean that you like the song.

Over the years, I've heard so many drummers say that Buddy was a big influence on their playing. At the same time, listening to them play a lot of times, there is nothing that even remotely resembles anything Rich did.

Some people can really hear something that is a obvious influence from a different band and some people hear what they want to hear, whether it's there or not, and some people just don't hear it.

It's all semantics Rick. To be influenced by someone does not mean you have to sound like them. In fact I'm glad when people don't go around trying to sound like the people that influenced them.

To be influenced by, is the same as being "inspired" by.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Even if Heart never covered a Zep tune, you'd still have a solid argument saying that Zep had a heavy influence on them. I'm not talking about the drumming either.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Even if Heart never covered a Zep tune, you'd still have a solid argument saying that Zep had a heavy influence on them. I'm not talking about the drumming either.
    I have to agree with the "don't hear it" crowd.
    Heart = heavy rock-pop singles. Kinda faux-heavy.
    Zep... doesn't. At all.

And I would think "influenced" goes more to actual performance than "inspired" which is more a "that was cool" kind of thing.

But I'm a noob and not a Heart aficionado. So what do I know?

User Info Menu

We must agree to disagree.

User Info Menu

You know, it's hard to pinpoint sometimes from where someone gets their inspiration/influence. You might listen to my excuse for drumming and not hear anything, but I know for a fact that at a certain point what I'm doing I took from Bonham. That doesn't mean he was the one who did it first or the one who did it really often so it was a trademark of his, it does mean however that it was inspired from his playing.

Anyway, pretty much everything rock/hard rock and even metal in some ways after LZ is one way or another inspired from them...and our lord and saviour, Jimi

User Info Menu

I always smile when rock players get all the credit for certain things. One of my faves is the so called "Bonham triplets", totally regardless of the fact that Elvin Jones and those guys were doing that stuff since the fifties.

LOL

all the best...

User Info Menu

/\ This very often true.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    I always smile when rock players get all the credit for certain things. One of my faves is the so called "Bonham triplets", totally regardless of the fact that Elvin Jones and those guys were doing that stuff since the fifties.

LOL

all the best...
    I respect your opinion kay-gee. Yes, John Bonham was coined with "Bonham Triplets" partly because of his popularity but not without his skills backing up incredible triplet usage throughout his playing. Especially his right foot!
    Yes, it's been done before. For all we know, cave men did it too.

User Info Menu

Michael Derosier Drummer of Hearts earlier albums (1975 - 1982) is practically a Bonham clone, he sounds like he was heavily influenced by Bonham and Zeppelin. A very good drummer.

User Info Menu

There is a site that has a list and vids of early, post Zep, Bonham-sounding drummers. Some really do sound inspired, copying the sound. Check Billy Squier's drummer who nailed the Bonham fills and sound in"Lonely is the Night."
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

I've heard early recording sessions were pretty primitive compared to todays standards so did John ever do any punching in on songs to fix parts or make something better? if a form of that was available
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Not sure if Bonzo or LZ ever used the procedure but it did exist.

I'm thinking of Eddie Offord and how some of the early YES material developed.
    Bill Bruford once said there was so many splices in the tapes that once they got it all put together, the band would then need to learn that version of the composition to be able to play it live.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Yesterday marked John's 69th birthday. I'm sure if he were still with us, he'd still be a helluva drummer.

Happy Birthday John!
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    Yesterday marked John's 69th birthday. I'm sure if he were still with us, he'd still be a helluva drummer.

Happy Birthday John!
    Definitely! Happy Birthday Bonzo.
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I love everything about john bonham. Even his more simplistic tracks blow me away. Listen to his drum track for " all of my love ", just awesome.
    I also love the sound of his drums as well.