Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me choose

User Info Menu

Default Help me choose

Please guys, I really need some help! It has been three weeks now that I'm reading articles, forum threads and looking at a lot of video on youtube and I just can't make my mind!

I've been playing drums on a e-kit for about 4 years and I would like to buy a good acoustic kit now to play with my band and do small gigs.

I mostly play classic rock, jazz (bop, lounge and brushes), blues and latino (samba and bossanova). So a 20" bass drum would be the better choice.

I compare maple and birch sound and figured maple is more what I'm looking for. I also think I prefer toms mounted on cymbals stands.

Now I have a problem figuring what cymbals to buy. I'm torn between Sabian AAX and Zildjian A Custom. A custom are more expensive but I read that it could be a better choice for versatile low volume cymbals.

I also have a BIG problem choosing the kit itself! I tried to look at the used market but it's really hopeless here in Belgium.
    The models I'm considering right now are PDP maple concept, Gretsch Renown, Mapex Saturn and Mapex Armory.

Any help would be appreciated! :-)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Help me choose

Out of the kits you list I would suggest either the PDP or Gretsch. The two mapex models are great kits (although the Armory series is very new so less is known about them) but they would, in my view, suit rock situations better. Given that you are looking for a pretty versitile kit I would go with either the PDP of Gretsch - the PDP's are very good value for money; mine are arriving next week!

On the cymbal front, you can't go wrong with either of those models. I use the AAXplosion line for my crashes but have moved to HHX for my hats and ride. The A Customs are great cymbals too and used the world over. Enjoy the chase!
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

Thank you! :-)

There are some pro's and con's about those two kits :
    - PDP toms are mounted on the bass drum, something I don't like (I always have a hard time positionning the toms), they also seem very "rock-oriented" (but I could be wrong of course), I also read some negative comments about the hardware and snare.
    - Grestch is (much) more expensive and I wonder if the toms can produce a real fat (almost dry) sound I like. I watched a lot of youtube videos and they always seems to produce a lot of harmonics.

I like the sound of AAX, and HHX even more but I read many times that they are not suited for smaller gigs, is that right?

User Info Menu

I think the K series form Zildjian would be better suit for jazz. Ludwig has a club kit I believe.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CB700 View Post
    I think the K series form Zildjian would be better suit for jazz
    Those would be great but they are too expensive for me.

User Info Menu

I can't really recommend a kit, but I can't speak highly enough of Zildjian A Custom fast crashes for smaller gigs. I got a couple of these for church, and I can actually hit them as opposed to just sort of "tapping" my larger crashes. These things are great for smaller gigs.

User Info Menu

I love my Saturn kit. There is also a few configurations if you check mapex website. There is also the mydentity series. You can pick the wood, the tom mounting, the color. Hardware color. You can even order different drum sizes.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    14x6 mapex stainless steel snare
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by piratemonkey124 View Post
    I love my Saturn kit. There is also a few configurations if you check mapex website. There is also the mydentity series. You can pick the wood, the tom mounting, the color. Hardware color. You can even order different drum sizes.

I played around with this one day. It's pretty stinkin' cool.

Love the turquoise glass glitter up against white hardware.

User Info Menu

I like the Saturn design and finishes but I read a lot of things on the web saying that it's mostly a rock kit not really usable for jazz or latino music.

EDIT : Myidentity is not available in Europe unfortunately.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TerryV81 View Post
    Thank you! :-)

There are some pro's and con's about those two kits :
    - PDP toms are mounted on the bass drum, something I don't like (I always have a hard time positionning the toms), they also seem very "rock-oriented" (but I could be wrong of course), I also read some negative comments about the hardware and snare.
    - Grestch is (much) more expensive and I wonder if the toms can produce a real fat (almost dry) sound I like. I watched a lot of youtube videos and they always seems to produce a lot of harmonics.

I like the sound of AAX, and HHX even more but I read many times that they are not suited for smaller gigs, is that right?
    Just because there'e a mount on the bass drum doesn't mean you haev to use it. I currently have a Mapex V Series (being replaced by the PDP Concepts) which has a bass drum mount too. In recent years, I hardly used the drum mount as I tend to go offset and find I prefer the positional freedoms that having toms mounted off stands gives i.e. you can get the toms and kick exactly where you want them almost independent of each other.

I use smaller AAXplosions for small gigs. I use the 14" & 16" at church and can hit these without issue. They are a very fast crash that hit peak volume and decay quickly. Very glassy sounding but this seems common with fast crashes. I think the Zildjian A Fast Crash has a similar sound profile to the AAXplosions although I've never done a like for like comparison.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatDrummer View Post
    Just because there'e a mount on the bass drum doesn't mean you haev to use it. I currently have a Mapex V Series (being replaced by the PDP Concepts) which has a bass drum mount too. In recent years, I hardly used the drum mount as I tend to go offset and find I prefer the positional freedoms that having toms mounted off stands gives i.e. you can get the toms and kick exactly where you want them almost independent of each other.
    Are you planning to do the same with your PDP concept? I also thought about that but then I would probably buy Gibraltar hardware to do so as I'm not sure about the quality and durability of PDP hardware.

I received an email from Mapex and the Armory kits are not going to be available in Europe until mid-June! So now I guess the choice is between PDP Concept and Gretsch Renown. I'm also interested in the Pearl VML.
    The Renown being much more expensive, is it really worth it (sound, hardware, playability and versatility)?

User Info Menu

The two Mapex kits that you mentioned both have blended shells. The Saturn is maple/walnut, and the Armory is maple/birch. I would think that you could get the dry sound you want out of Renowns with the right heads and tuning. I've played all maple pdp kits before, but not the concept specifically. They were decent intermediate level kits. You should try to get out and hear some of these kits in person. Who knows what's been done to the sound in a youtube video.

I think that the key with cymbals is going to be sticking with lighter weights.

Two final points.
    1) Don't be afraid to buy used. Your money will go much further.
    2) If it sounds right, it is right.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

The Armory is not an option anymore as it's not going to be available in Europe before mid-June.

Of course it would be easier to try both kits but it's just not possible here. In Brussels there are very few music instrument stores and nowadays they only have cheap no-name budget kit in stock that you can try. Everything else has to be ordered. So I can only trust review, opinions on the net and youtube videos. Trusting my ears with that kind of videos can also be tricky as people use different heads, tuning and recording methods. Is the sounds I'm hearing a result of the shells or a result from these other aspects? That's why I'm asking the opinion of more experienced drummers here.

User Info Menu

Another good option, if you can get them, are Mapex Meridian Maples. I liked them better than the Catalinas or Concept Maples. With coated Emperors on them, I get a nice dry thud out of them. They are discontinued, so don't know if you can find them where you are.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Once again, the drums do not determine the music being played, the drummer does. You think AAX are to loud for small rooms, dont hit them so hard.
    Go to your local shop and play every kit in your price range, let your ears and heart decide, not some "rules" you read on the internet.

User Info Menu

A customs are sweet but imo $$$$$. As far as kits i know you wanted maple but I would have seriously considered Yamaha's stage custom, they are Birch, I wanted maple on my first kit as well, but after doing a lot of research I did not find one thing bad about the stage customs, its a very versatile kit. Its all about the heads and tuning to get the sound you want.....good luck.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TerryV81 View Post
    The Renown being much more expensive, is it really worth it (sound, hardware, playability and versatility)?
    The answers you'll get will be very subjective. The value is in the eyes of the beholder. As a drummer who's just starting out, a Renown kit may be out of your budget since you mentioned it yourself several times throughout this thread. You might be better off finding a good used kit instead so your wallet won't take such a big hit.

For me, I learned a valuable lesson in buying drums in today's market. Buying used gear saves a ton of money and your money will go a long way in purchasing good solid pro gear.

User Info Menu

Very good point Late, hence my recommendation of the Meridian Maples. Reasonable price, great sound and quality.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Once again, the drums do not determine the music being played, the drummer does. You think AAX are to loud for small rooms, dont hit them so hard.
    Go to your local shop and play every kit in your price range, let your ears and heart decide, not some "rules" you read on the internet.
    /\ This

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    This.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kazaamski View Post
    This.

Come one guys! :-) Of course I would try both kits if it was only possible!! As I said, I don't live in the States where every store is huge and full of kits that you can try. Here in Brussels, you have to order anything! It won't be possible to try any of these two kits before buying it so I have to ask opinions here!

And yes, I know about dynamics! :-) But some cymbals don't sound good when hit too lightly and people seems to think that's the case with Sabian AAX.

User Info Menu

I would never, buy a musical insturment without playing it first. Even my sticks, I roll them and play them on a pad before I buy them.

User Info Menu

It is tougher in Europe to buy good gear due to the lack of shops that will stock decent instruments. The majority will tend to cater for the beginner market. The UK has a good number of decent music shops where stuff can be tried out but it can be patchy, so I do sympathise.

The long and short of it is that, sometimes, many are unbable to try before they buy so have to take the risk. I did that with my PDP Concepts; never played them but I did research thoroughly prior to making the order.

With regards PDP hardware, I think it's fair to say there have been issues in the past. However, these issues, based on feedback I've seen online, have largely been rectified. I've also played the X7 lots (it was the kit at my church) which the concepts affectively replaced. The hardware was absolutely fine although the snare wasn't the best in the world.

I doubt you'd go wrong with either the PDP or the Gretsch for what you are looking to achieve. The Meridians are also a good shout but getting hold of these may prove difficult to get hold of in Europe although you may find some online retailers looking to shift some stock.

Buying gear is always a risk. Trying before we buy is always the ideal but not always possible especially outside of the US.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatDrummer View Post
    It is tougher in Europe to buy good gear due to the lack of shops that will stock decent instruments. The majority will tend to cater for the beginner market. The UK has a good number of decent music shops where stuff can be tried out but it can be patchy, so I do sympathise.
    Thank you! Somebody that understands the difficulties I'm going through! :-)

Did you think of buying hardware from another brand instead of the PDP hardware? Gibraltar 5700 hardware package for instance?

I'm still torn between the two models. The Renown has such an incredible reputation over the net but it's a bigger investment and I can't be sure it will give me the kind of sound and versatility I'm looking for.

User Info Menu

A couple years ago I had a Sonor select force s drive,short stack toms,virgin bass,6 ply (Chinese) maple, VERY nice kit, and nice choices of colors/fades/bursts .
    I have zildjian a custom 14" hats(very nice "clean" sound)sabian AA 16" crash,Sabian 20" "hand hammered" jazz ride,sound great together...the Sabian HHX Manhattan ride 22" is a beautiful thin ride(wish I kept it)
    Last edited by myk; 04-17-2014 at 12:10 AM.