Thread: Chris Cornell dead

User Info Menu

Default Chris Cornell dead

Just got word that Soundgarden front man Chris Cornell died after his concert here in MI last night. No cause of death yet. What sad news, he was an amazing talent. Great catalog from Soundgarden, Audio Slave, and solo work. RIP Chris.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Default Re: Chris Cornell dead

Another one to leave us at an early age of 52 .RIP Chris you will be missed.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 05-18-2017 at 07:04 AM.

User Info Menu

I read on another site that this death is a suicide.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Multiple reports that he hung himself in a motel bathroom.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

One of my favorite singers of all time. Very sad. I was always a fan of Soundgarden, Audioslave and Temple of the dog. What really bugs me about all of this is, my understanding is that the last performance they did the song "In My Time of Dying" by LZ. Very odd.

RIP Chris.

One of my all time favs from AudioSlave:
    Last edited by Markadiddle; 05-18-2017 at 10:33 AM.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Sad. Superunknown was a thing for me. Love/d it.

Acoustic & Electronic:
    Pearl Prestige World Series WLX 1988
    Tama Swingstar 1983
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch) 2007
    Ludwig Acrolite Snare 1976
    Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5x14" 2021
    Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum 5.5" and 6.5" Snare
    Pearl COB Custom Deluxe [Gladstone] (75-76) Snare
    Love Drum Co. Hammered Steel 5.5" Snare
    Roland TD-1KV

Paiste
    Accent 8"

Paiste Signature:
    6", 10" Splash
    14" Dark Crisp Hi-Hats
    14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats
    16", 17", 18",19", 20" Full Crash
    22" Symphonic Med-Heavy (use as a Ride)

Paiste Formula 602:
    22" Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride

Paiste 2oo2:
    22" Ride
    16" Crash
    8",10" Splash

Paiste 2oo2 Big Beat:
    15" Hi-Hats
    19", 20", 21" Big Beat Multifunctional

Paiste Sound Formula:
    16" Crash
    20" Full Ride (Frankenstein)

Paiste Twenty:
    16" China

Paiste Alpha (original Swiss made):
    12" Splash

Paiste PST7:
    Medium
    16", 18" Crash
    20" Ride
    14" Hi-Hats

Sabian:
    XS20 18" China
    AA 14" Fusion Hi-Hats

User Info Menu

Not familiar with their music, but I've definitely heard the name. Very sad and unexpected.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I just saw Soundgarden a couple weeks ago in Atlanta. Definitely one of my favorite bands stretching back 20+ years.

His talents will be missed.

User Info Menu

They are now ruling his death as suicide. If this is indeed true, my respect level just went from 100 to 0 in a matter of a millisecond.

I've dealt with one suicide in my lifetime and I think it's a complete cop-out. I have no respect for someone that takes the easy way out. I feel most sorry for his wife/kids/relatives that have to deal with the aftermath.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I heard the news while I was at the dentist today. Everybody Hurts, which Micheal Stype wrote to try and prevent Kurt Cobains death, was playing and I just burst into tears. Chris, you taught me so much about music as well as life. Sometimes we all feel like we have to blow up the outside word, but it's what we do with inside one that counts. RIP to an amazing musician who will continue to help us all when we fall on black days. You might be gone, but you'll never stop inspiring kids like me.
    I don't put a face on God. So he would probably look like Jimi Hendrix.
    - Chad Smith
    Everyone's screwed up in their own special way.
    Joey Ramone

User Info Menu

It was a shocker for sure. Crazy how some of the top vocalists from the grunge movement have either died or took their own lives. i got to see Soundgarden on the Superunknown tour. They sounded great

r.i.p. Chris Cornell
    Last edited by slinky; 05-18-2017 at 10:16 PM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

What a tragic loss.
    The man had such an incredible voice.
    I was reading that he had a four octave vocal range.

User Info Menu

I'm absolutely sick over this. A friend of mine took his own life this past Christmas, and Cornell and his associated musicians are without question among the most talented of his generation. If you haven't checked out Superunknown, stop reading now and do so.

The sad thing is that he seemingly had everything one could want, the talent, the success, the family. I haven't lost any respect for him whatsoever, because it doesn't in any way, shape, or form diminish his talent, and shame, I repeat, shame on any of you who would suggest that. It makes me lose respect for you.

None of us know if he had some sort of neurochemical imbalance or his thought process/baggage.

All you can really say is he was loved, and it's nothing shy of heartbreaking that a man gifted with a life many of us dream of would choose to end it early. I don't understand it. I don't condemn it. All I can say is it breaks my heart and it didn't have to happen.
    Last edited by MrB; 05-19-2017 at 12:26 AM.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

nice post, it's hard to understand right now and I doubt anyone will ever really know for sure, why.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I don't know his motive but most likely it's depression or an imbalance of some type.

I lost a very dear friend almost two years ago to suicide, after battling depression his whole life. I'm also currently affected by medical depression from someone extremely close to me. When my friend killed himself two years ago, immediately people started calling him coward, easy way out, etc. They bashed him pretty hard over this.

All I'll say is this...if you don't know the other person's story or haven't been affected by this horrible disease...don't judge. This person that's extremely close to me once told me in reference to suicidal thoughts..."it's like someone else is holding the gun".

Don't judge others. You don't know their story.

Tex

User Info Menu

Well said Tex

User Info Menu

I don't know his motive but most likely it's depression or an imbalance of some type.

I lost a very dear friend almost two years ago to suicide, after battling depression his whole life. I'm also currently affected by medical depression from someone extremely close to me. When my friend killed himself two years ago, immediately people started calling him coward, easy way out, etc. They bashed him pretty hard over this.

All I'll say is this...if you don't know the other person's story or haven't been affected by this horrible disease...don't judge. This person that's extremely close to me once told me in reference to suicidal thoughts..."it's like someone else is holding the gun".

Don't judge others. You don't know their story.

Tex
    Nicely put.

I don't, and never have, understood it. I suspect that's because I've been lucky enough to not suffer from that form of depression. I have several immediate family members who have attempted suicide in the past and still suffer from depression. My niece took her own life at the age of 16. Last month, my wife's nephew hung himself. He was in his early 20's and had an 18mo old son that he adored. No one claims to have noticed any change in his behavior. We're now watching my sister-in-law (his mom) like a hawk, for fear that she may try something. Then, Less than a week later, his best friend hung himself.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

His wife just released a statement saying that he was taking an anxiety medication with side effects of slurred speech and suicidal tendencies. She said when he called her that night, his speech was weird and he said he might have accidentally taken an extra pill, which is why she called security to check on him. If it was the meds that made him do it, it makes that much worse. I can't imagine what it's like for his kids.
    I don't put a face on God. So he would probably look like Jimi Hendrix.
    - Chad Smith
    Everyone's screwed up in their own special way.
    Joey Ramone