Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Internal drum dampeners

User Info Menu

Default Internal drum dampeners

My drum mentor was complaining about how companies no longer put the adjustable dampeners inside of the drums. He has a really good point in that you can adjust them, which gives you a lot more flexibility.

Does anyone know why the manufacturers stopped installing them? Any advantage in not having them?
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Default Re: Internal drum dampeners

I can only speculate.. My best guess is it stopped around the time of the invention of other types of dampening, such as moongel, rings, special heads with dampeners in them. Perhaps they became obsolete and wasn't a need for them when external dampening took over?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

That and purists no longer like the idea of anything being inside of the drum. It's a different mindset these days.

User Info Menu

DrumBum just posted yet another external dampner in here yesterday. Check it out if you haven't already seen it. Looks like it would be pretty easy to use:

Drum Clip - External Drum Dampener

User Info Menu

looks interesting the drum clip, I was really just wondering.

Seems to me I'd rather have that flexibility. Personally, I think the well-known duct tape solution doesn't look good, I like the rings, but for inexperienced players like me, they make playing with brushes more challenging.

Not to be cynical, but it might also be cost-savings. Less part + less time = more savings, and you can still charge the same price for the drums.
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    Not to be cynical, but it might also be cost-savings. Less part + less time = more savings, and you can still charge the same price for the drums.
    I'm sure that plays into it as well.

User Info Menu

I know Gibraltar produces a few different models that you can put in yourself, but I don't see why they would've stopped with it in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

They are still available from Pearl (and very nice quality, I might add). Really inexpensive as well. I bought 3 of them, just to have around for replacements. My Tama snare has one, and I use it constantly. Great for changing sounds when our band plays multiple styles of music.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Looks kind of like Evans' strap-type dampeners, I tried them before. Not a whole lot of dampening to speak of, and the strap would come off the drum during heavy play. The clip looks like it might be a fair bit more stable than the min-emad though, how's it do against rimshots?
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I never liked my internal dampener so I didn't use it anyway.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    The clip looks like it might be a fair bit more stable than the min-emad though, how's it do against rimshots?
    I haven't tried it out yet but I think it would be just a matter of keeping it away from where you play your rimshots.

User Info Menu

Ah good idea.. I might hit it if it's in the direction of nearby toms though, so i'd probably sit it at my 10 oclock, by my strainer. I don't usually strike that area too much.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

The internal dampeners are backwards. They push up on the head as you are pushing the head down via a drumstick. Thus killing the sound as soon as you strike the drum. Dampeners on top of the drum reduce the ring as the head is coming back up allowing the head to ring some. They also rattled and buzzed against the head.

User Info Menu

^ that makes sense. I never liked them
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I've not seen any in years...and usually they were only found in vintage drums.

As others have mentioned, there were probably only a handful of different heads one could get. Now, there are dozens of different heads to choose from that do a better job (IMO) than internal mufflers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    The internal dampeners are backwards. They push up on the head as you are pushing the head down via a drumstick. Thus killing the sound as soon as you strike the drum. Dampeners on top of the drum reduce the ring as the head is coming back up allowing the head to ring some. They also rattled and buzzed against the head.
    The mechanics of this makes a lot of sense, actually. I noticed the felt on them flattens out after awhile of cranking it to get any usable effect out of the dampener, too. I never thought about the location of a dampening device being as influential to the sound before. Good to know!
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

The only internal dampening I've ever used is on my bass drums. Unless the drums are mic'd, I don't see much use for dampening the drums. Seems a lot of people like to muffle their drums because they don't know how to tune them properly.

As for your question about WHY makers don't do it. Who knows. There are plenty of external muffling solutions available today, they probably don't think they need to do it anymore. A lot of the drum heads come with rings built into them now too. And double-ply heads pretty much void the need for any dampening anyway.

User Info Menu

I thought Gretsch would still offer them. The problem I had with them was there was very little in between with these devices. It was either wide open or full blown tape a brick to the head. I still use little hoops of duct tape, which does what moon gel does, and you can vary the dampening from non existent to slight to a lot depending on size of piece and number of spots.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by signia fan View Post
    I thought Gretsch would still offer them. The problem I had with them was there was very little in between with these devices. It was either wide open or full blown tape a brick to the head. I still use little hoops of duct tape, which does what moon gel does, and you can vary the dampening from non existent to slight to a lot depending on size of piece and number of spots.
    I've always had success with internal mufflers. I'm ordering some Ludwig ones for the set I'm restoring.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I like using them as well. It always seems I can find a spot where I can get just the right amount of ring that I want for certain songs or venues. At least it sounds that way from the throne. I can't say how much difference it makes out in front.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    I've always had success with internal mufflers. I'm ordering some Ludwig ones for the set I'm restoring.

all the best...
    The Pearl #734 is a very nice quality piece. The felt and spring steel is high quality and the knob is chrome plated metal (not plastic). It looks very vintage. Best part is they're only $5 verses $20. Just thought I'd throw that out as an alternative.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Internal mufflers were a standard item when many players were tuning their drums up in the jazz range. Not a lot of call for long sustain in that application. The downside is they tended to rattle when not engaged. That's why you will find many vintage drums that have them missing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    The Pearl #734 is a very nice quality piece. The felt and spring steel is high quality and the knob is chrome plated metal (not plastic). It looks very vintage. Best part is they're only $5 verses $20. Just thought I'd throw that out as an alternative.
    Thanks for the tip, but I've gotta go original on this one. When I'm through, this set up is going to scream LUDWIG! I'm going to order Ludwig Weather Master heads as well.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    Internal mufflers were a standard item when many players were tuning their drums up in the jazz range. Not a lot of call for long sustain in that application. The downside is they tended to rattle when not engaged. That's why you will find many vintage drums that have them missing.
    I've heard that a lot but I've never had a whit of trouble with an internal muffler. Keep them lubed and vaselined. No probs.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I have internal damper on my Vintage Slinglander " Festival" and love it. Don't understand why they stop installing them on drums.