Thread: Dang! Had a minor car prang last Saturday!

User Info Menu

Default Dang! Had a minor car prang last Saturday!

Well, was on my way to pick up a Tama Iron Cobra double pedal (separate thread on that by the way) last Saturday over at Ashfield in the 'Inner West' Sydney suburbs last Saturday (2nd February) when this happened:

Here's what happened. I was on one road (Milton Street) waiting to turn right into a smaller lane (Blackwood Ave) to find a parking spot so I could walk to where I was picking up the double pedal. As I'm just pulling into one spot on the road to wait for the two lanes of oncoming traffic to clear on my right (for my American and overseas drum brethren, we're the ones that drive on the left of the road), a driver in a large SUV that was in the inner right lane (who was probably just trying to be helpful) signaled me by flashing his lights and waving his hand to allow me to turn right in front of him. Now, normally I'm pretty careful with road decisions, of course I would have waited for both the inner and outer oncoming lanes to clear, but due to the fact that not only I was eager to get my hands on some drum gear that was beng sold for a bargain, but also due to the SUV being a bit large and blocking quite a bit of view of other traffic....to quote Pink Floyd I had 'a momentary lapse of reason' and thought, well, why not?

So as I turned right at a slow speed, a girl and her boyfriend in their silver Mazda 3 sedan came in from the outer lane, thankfully not at a fast speed (probably 45-50 km/h at the most). We clipped each other just briefly.....I accumulated the damage you see in the above pictures, she copped something similar, only with her right head light, not left. Both of us pulled quickly over , and thank heavens when I stepped out that we were both quite civil about it.....straightaway I had said that my car's a company car with full insurance and in the same breath straightaway I asked if she was alright and had any injuries. Fortunately for both of us we were just a little shocked but injury free. She assured me that she was fine and stated she had insurance with a company as well (me with AAMI, she with NRMA), so, with no injury and with both vehicles quite drivable (after having a check of our radiators, wheels and chassis), there was no need to call the cops....therefore all that was needed was to exchange details.....rego numbers, insurance companies, names and addresses etc. I had to contact the guy who was selling the pedal to hold on for a while whilst we got our cars sorted out. Then, once I've picked up my pedal, and fortunately for this) I had to ring a guitarist mate of mine who happens to live only 5 minutes away from the scene in the neighbouring suburb of Burwood, where I went over to get a few tools to bend my number plate a little bit back in shape and secure it back (as you can see with the bit of cord in the first photo....the collision bent the screw bracket out of shape, making it difficult to reattach the plate to it again). Oh well, I'm pretty philosophical about it.....it was only a minor prang, no one was hurt, this was the only little bang that I have had with this particular car (which I've owned for just under eight years) and hey, the paint was starting to peel off the bumper in the first place, so that's just saved me having to ask a friend of my Dad who fixes cars to do a respray job in the first place.
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 02-04-2013 at 11:42 AM.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Default Re: Dang! Had a minor car prang last Saturday!

Sure could have been worse Drumbledore. I'm glad you, the girl, and her boyfriend weren't hurt. I guess it will be a while before you trust someone "helping" you out on the road again.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Lucky for you cause it could of been worst. I hope you have good insurance to cover the damages if not it will be expensive to repair.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Sure could have been worse Drumbledore. I'm glad you, the girl, and her boyfriend weren't hurt. I guess it will be a while before you trust someone "helping" you out on the road again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Lucky for you cause it could of been worst. I hope you have good insurance to cover the damages if not it will be expensive to repair.
    Thanks guys. Yeah I know, could have been a heckuva lot worse, everyone got worried about me when they heard the news! The last time anything happened to me was well over eight years ago or so with my previous car, a Ford Corsair. In that, I had a small pickup truck sidesweep me trying to take over me from the right lane on a three lane road, late at night. When he hit my right rear side, I fishtailed a bit....lucky it wasn't a wet road and I didn't lock my brakes hard otherwise I would have flipped the car! And to top it all off.....the blighter did a runner on me! Grrr! Made it impossible to report it to the cops because I had no number plate number to grab sight off....had to gain control of my car first! Otherwise, considering Sydney roads and traffic problems (and unfortunately some road ragers that add to it), it's been a relatively incident free driving experience. And my insurance company's pretty good, and thank heavens I pay it every year (for me it's also tax deductible as well)....unfortunately I can't get a vehicle inspection done until the 12th February......the headlight bulbs weren't damaged nor the indicators, so I can't be pulled over for that. The insurance claim got sent off today priority post together with the excess payment, they'll get that by the next business day or so, and all the wheels will then go into action....the vehicle inspection, recommendation to an authorised car repairer, hire car with free taxi service to the hire car depot, all of that.

User Info Menu

Sounds good Drumbledore cause it is good to have insurance. Maybe if the damage exceeds the cars worth they may settle for a good anount towards a down payment on a newer vehicle. Good luck

User Info Menu

Glad to hear you were OK.

User Info Menu

Glad it wasn't serious.

User Info Menu

I don't know there DD. You go from rebuilding a double pedal to playing bumper cars.

Seriously, glad you are OK.

If I've learned anything in almost 50 years of driving (that includes 2 pretty bad accidents, neither of which was my fault) is that I take nothing for granted with other drivers.

I don't assume that they see me even if I'm right next to them. I do assume that they are idiots with a license.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I don't know there DD. You go from rebuilding a double pedal to playing bumper cars.

Seriously, glad you are OK.

If I've learned anything in almost 50 years of driving (that includes 2 pretty bad accidents, neither of which was my fault) is that I take nothing for granted with other drivers.

I don't assume that they see me even if I'm right next to them. I do assume that they are idiots with a license.
    great advice, i have over 60,000 miles on my butt riding motorcycles on the street, you gotta pay attention more so with a bike, anticipate opposing drivers worse moves and have a plan. has to happen in a split second so no thinking about the grocery list. everyones on cellphones these days.
    i sold my last street bike 8 yrs ago and will never ride on the street again and i was a professional motorcycle racer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kyle102565 View Post
    great advice, i have over 60,000 miles on my butt riding motorcycles on the street, you gotta pay attention more so with a bike, anticipate opposing drivers worse moves and have a plan. has to happen in a split second so no thinking about the grocery list. everyones on cellphones these days.
    i sold my last street bike 8 yrs ago and will never ride on the street again and i was a professional motorcycle racer.

My brother was almost killed on his bike about 20 years ago by a guy that blew a red light.

His wife will indulge him in just about anything. He has a El Camino, 66 I think, a mild custom '74 show Vette, and a 23 or 24' Wellcraft i/o, with a 350 Chevy in it, but he can't have a bike.

User Info Menu

Glad to hear you came out on the other side safe and sound.

User Info Menu

That's what you get for driving on the wrong side

Great to hear you're ok and have insurance...............now you can get the perfect "drum-hauler" if there is one.

User Info Menu

Woah! I'm glad everyone's ok. Myself, I'm not a big fan of driving. Especially where I live. I've seen more than my share of less-then-intelligent driving stunts, including someone in a newer Corvette who ran a stop sign right in front of me! (Lucky for them, I have quick reflexes!)

User Info Menu

^ aaiiiiiyyysshh!!! Lucky for you mate!

User Info Menu

Comin in late on this one, glad all is well Drumble! The silver lining of this post is I learned the "Down unda" word "prang" and "blighter", I love Aussie slang, keep em comin!! Good to hear things worked out with no injuries mate!
    Attitude is everything!

User Info Menu

^ Trust me, we also have other slang words that are handy, just that this is a family-friendly forum, otherwise I wouldn't have just used "blighter" (which is not often used these days).

Other words we would use for that situation would be:

Bingle: Motor vehicle accident
    Cactus: something not working
    Cark it: also slang for something that ceases functioning
    Come a cropper: have an accident
    Come a gutser: also to have an accident
    Drongo: Idiot
    Like a rat up a drainpipe: someone moving away from somewhere fast
    Mad as a cut snake: very angry
    Mongrel: despicable person
    Nong: Another name for an idiot
    Racked off: went away
    Ratbag: Someone with less than courteous behaviour
    Spewin' :another expression for very angry
    Stoked: very pleased at good news
    Write-off: a total loss.
    Yewy: A U-turn on the road ("chuck a yewy at the next set of lights")
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 03-20-2013 at 03:49 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    ^ Trust me, we also have other slang words that are handy, just that this is a family-friendly forum, otherwise I wouldn't have just used "blighter" (which is not often used these days).

Other words we would use for that situation would be:

Bingle: Motor vehicle accident
    Cactus: something not working
    Cark it: also slang for something that ceases functioning
    Come a cropper: have an accident
    Come a gutser: also to have an accident
    Drongo: Idiot
    Like a rat up a drainpipe: someone moving away from somewhere fast
    Mad as a cut snake: very angry
    Mongrel: despicable person
    Nong: Another name for an idiot
    Racked off: went away
    Ratbag: Someone with less than courteous behaviour
    Spewin' :another expression for very angry
    Stoked: very pleased at good news
    Write-off: a total loss.
    Yewy: A U-turn on the road ("chuck a yewy at the next set of lights")
    "stoked" is the only one we use here................isn't it funny, we speak a common language, but all have our own sayings / pronunciation.

User Info Menu

I'm glad, and your lucky, that it wasn't a lot worse than it got, eh? That's actually one of the first rules that Fed-Ex driving school taught us. Never trust the advice of another driver on the road, ever. Of course that was already one of my Paramount's. This was for you a particularly harsh life's lesson learned, eh? Glad your okay.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

late to reply but glad you all were ok. The damage to the car doesn't look that bad really. If the hood was all jacked up then that would suck. The way I look at it is daily drivers are gonna get dinged up no matter how careful we are. Anyway gives them some character i guess. Case in point, the golf ball size hail we got here last week put dents all over my honda. No glass was broke luckily. There was no time to do anything. It just started coming down so fast and the garage already had a car in it.
    Last edited by slinky; 03-22-2013 at 06:29 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Dang! Had a minor car prang last Saturday!

It's been several weeks since your prang, mate, but I'm glad you're in one piece even if your Mitsu isn't.

What makes me very shirty (another Aussie slang term which can mean "nervous," "anxious," etc... is getting my car hit twice in two weeks, which happened in 1996-97. My Ford Tempo (interesting I once drove a 1991 Tempo--a compact sedan--as well as driving a tempo behind the drums!) was rear-ended while it was parked outside my radio station job one snowy day. So I went to the insurance agent, paid out a $1000 deductible, made an appointment to get the car repaired--and then my next-door neigbor called me as Mrs. 'bro and I were coming home from shopping to tell me some drunken drongo (good word there!) had sideswiped the driver's-side rear...and I had to pay out a second deductible because, yep, it was a totally different accident and totally different damage!

Ya see, it could have been much worse!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck