Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A brief Wuhan review

User Info Menu

Default A brief Wuhan review

Finally received my Wuhan 16" crash yesterday (it was on back order since early October). My goal was/is to assemble a set of inexpensive cymbals for use as a practice set. So far, my collection consists of;

10" splash
    14" thin crash
    14" medium crash
    16" medium crash
    18" medium crash-ride

The looks are top-notch. The mirror finish is stunning and the hammer marks give them a very classy look under the lights. The "Wuhan" logos are very simple, small & subtle. Quality is not perfect; every cymbal has some imperfections in the finish.

They are all very light weight. As a general rule, it appears that even a medium Wuhan is noticeably thinner....more like a thin to medium-thin in most other brands.

Wuhan definitely has its own unique sound. With the exception of the splash, I was not real impressed with any of the others when I first played them. In fact, I almost returned them. They are all very explosive, with a bright shimmer, but they also possess a dark side. A little trashy & gong-like....but not overly so. Dark, dirty, complex overtones....call it what you want. Actually, it gives them a nice full, balanced sound when heard from out in front or in a live band setting. The dark overtones dissolve in the mix. If you judge them from the throne it does not do them justice. Also, if you mix them with higher quality B20 cymbals, it really makes them sound more trashy. BUT, When you play them together as a complete set, they sound way better. The trashy gong sound is less noticeable (even from the throne). Together, they blend well. I've really grown to like them and having a sound that is different from other drummers is a good thing in my opinion. They're not for everyone, but I dig that. I suspect I'll eventually buy their 14" hats and 20" ride (maybe even a China) as time goes on. For the money, I can't complain.

I can review each individual cymbal, if any one is actually interested. You can also check out YouTube for reviews. There's one guy who does a back to back comparison between his Wuhan "practice" cymbal set and his expensive Sabian "good" cymbals. The results may surprise you. In no way are they up to the level of the high dollar B20 stuff, but if you accept them of their own merit, they are a terrific value.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Default Re: A brief Wuhan review

Confused. What's the difference between practice cymbals and regular cymbals?

all the best...

User Info Menu

I've always liked Wuhan China's , but have been less impressed with their regular cymbals until I tried the Wuhan S series.unfortunately,theyve quit making them but they are very nice. A little gongy and loud but very musical.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Ludwig centennial natural 11 piece
    Gp jungle natural 4 piece
    Yamaha dtxpress3
    Saluda cymbals
    zildjian a customs
    Sabian aax

User Info Menu

I've never tried any of their regular cymbals personally. Just their china's and they are so extremely hit or miss. Had one I loved it, broke it, replaced it, hated it, replaced it, liked it... there was no consistency I felt. But for the price tag you can't complain.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Confused. What's the difference between practice cymbals and regular cymbals?

all the best...
    Nothing. Just a separate kit set up for practice. That way, the good drums, cymbals, stands, etc. can remain packed and ready to load for the next gig.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=N2Bluz;664159]every cymbal has some imperfections in the finish.

They are all very light weight. As a general rule, it appears that even a medium Wuhan is noticeably thinner....more like a thin to medium-thin in most other brands.

Wuhan definitely has its own unique sound. They are all very explosive, with a bright shimmer, but they also possess a dark side. A little trashy & gong-like....but not overly so. Dark, dirty, complex overtones....call it what you want. Actually, it gives them a nice full, balanced sound when heard from out in front or in a live band setting. The dark overtones dissolve in the mix. If you judge them from the throne it does not do them justice. Also, if you mix them with higher quality B20 cymbals, it really makes them sound more trashy. BUT, When you play them together as a complete set, they sound way better. The trashy gong sound is less noticeable (even from the throne). Together, they blend well. I've really grown to like them and having a sound that is different from other drummers is a good thing in my opinion. They're not for everyone, For the money, I can't complain.

QUOTE]

The description above also fits the Stagg DH range perfectly.

Sadly we don't see much of Wuhan (or Dream cymbals) here in the UK which is a pity. Stagg and Sabian XS20 seem to have cornered the budget B20 market here but it would be good to see some alternatives.

I saw a used pair of Wuhan hats last year in a Wants outlet (don't know the range - brilliant finish, small Wuhan logs - and 'hi hats' printed on them). I was impressed with them and they were only £50 - I know that they will negotiate on price, but NOT if there are other customers in the store so I decided to put them back and return on Tuesday afternoon when it is always quiet. When I returned they were sold - I missed out in an attempt to save £10..... Sometimes I kick myself for my penny-pinching nature

User Info Menu

In my experience, the newer series of Wuhan (New Traditional with the brilliant finish) is very good for the price. They are often extremely bright which I don't like simply because I prefer dark cymbals, but it's not a bad sound at all and I'd much rather play these than some pro-level models out there. The 12" splash sounds like a full crash. The Wuhan Linear cymbals are also really cool, being pentagon-shaped.
    I've never been as excited about their chinas though...

User Info Menu

So far I've loved every wuhan I have. My favorite is the 10" splash. Incredible cymbals!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by carbohydrate kid View Post
    I've always liked Wuhan China's , but have been less impressed with their regular cymbals.
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I've never tried any of their regular cymbals personally. Just their china's and they are so extremely hit or miss. But for the price tag you can't complain.
    and.........yes.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Nothing. Just a separate kit set up for practice. That way, the good drums, cymbals, stands, etc. can remain packed and ready to load for the next gig.
    Gotcha

all the best...

User Info Menu

I guess what really surprised me was the difference between how they sound up close behind the throne and from 20ft out in front, in the context of live music. It shouldn't....I know drums and even guitars can be the same. It's just how acoustics work. At first, I would cringe when I struck a cymbal...thinking, "man, I gotta change out those cymbals next break". But, after letting someone sit in for several songs and standing out in front, I was like, "wow, those actually sound pretty good from out here". Of course, the price is the biggest benefit. A couple hundred bucks for a set of new cymbals that are "usable" is hard to beat. I don't care if they get abused or break...they're almost disposable, LOL.

The 14" thin crash is a little offensive. You know it sounds bad when you crash it and the guitar player turns around and looks at you like you just farted.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

I played several Wuhan western trads just last night and found a few keepers out of several large stacks. The QC on the Wuhans is all..over..the..map. The 2 medium heavy rides I played had uncontrollable wash. You would have needed a pound of moongel to tame these beasts! So far, I love the hats and some crashes. These are definitely play before you pay cymbals.
    MAPEX - SABIAN - PEARL - VIC FIRTH

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post

The 14" thin crash is a little offensive. You know it sounds bad when you crash it and the guitar player turns around and looks at you like you just farted.
    for real lol!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wOOdshedd View Post
    I played several Wuhan western trads just last night and found a few keepers out of several large stacks. The QC on the Wuhans is all..over..the..map. The 2 medium heavy rides I played had uncontrollable wash. You would have needed a pound of moongel to tame these beasts! So far, I love the hats and some crashes. These are definitely play before you pay cymbals.
    Yep. Like Forrest said, "a box of chocolates is like Wuhan cymbals".
    I don't have any stocking stores around here, so I had to buy them on-line. I could always return for credit, but I guess I've gotten lucky so far. My 18" crash/ride has abundant wash as well, but it's a nice full wash and not just all high pitch ringing. I did try it with one piece of moongel, but that made it sound like a pizza pan, LOL. I've learned how to manipulate it by playing close to the bell, close to the edge or by how I use the stick. I'm OK with it because I already have a heavy 20" Sabian ride that has lots of stick but very little wash. The 18" Wuhan C/R is not real loud, which actually works well with my jungle kit. As a ride, I can get a nice, full wash with darker tone at low volume. It also crashes pretty well, which eliminates the need for another large crash. If I use my full size kit, I can use the 18" C/R as just a large trash crash. Heck, for the price, I can always make it into a wall clock!
    -Brian

User Info Menu

I will no doubt be looking at a few of their splashes and chinas.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the review. I've always loved Wuhan china's. I'm finding myself wanting to move more toward the nontraditional sounding cymbals now. I have a lot of splashes, stacks, and china's on my kit. I think I'll look into these.

User Info Menu

I agree with your review and have mentioned so in the past.
    Here's a vid I've done awhile back with some Wuhans.

User Info Menu

Worth checking out.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I used the 14" crash and 18" crash/ride at our last small gig (along with my Jungle Kit). Once again, they sound a little "trashy" from the thrown, but really sounded great in a live band setting. I was very pleased with the 18" C/R. It had a really nice dark/jazzy ride sound that really filled the room. It was maybe even a little too loud at times. Volume (or lack of it) is not an issue with any of them. By the end of the night, I figured out how to control it. I'm really starting to dig the dark tones. It gives character to the music.....and my playing needs all the character it can get. I'm going to order a 20" ride this week, but I think I'm going with the "medium-heavy" version instead of the "medium".
    -Brian

User Info Menu

I just added an 8" and 10" splash. To me, THIS is what a splash cymbal SHOULD sound like. Awesome!

User Info Menu

The owner of my local five star drum shop uses a set of them for practice as well. He says that they sound good enough for that and it allows him to keep his gigging kit in the cases ready to go.

I went down to his shop yesterday looking for an o-zone crash to be used in a modern country band that I recently joined. I tried out Sabian HHX, AAX, Zildjian ZHT EFX, and a couple of Wuhan Linear Smashes which are pattered after the Zildjian EFX cymbals. One of the HHX cymbals was marked down as it was used at this year's Jazz Fest. All were 18" except for the ZHT which was a 16".

Suffice to say I walked out with a Wuhan, which to my ears was the best sounding one of the bunch ... and the cheapest to boot. If I crack it, I'm only out a little more than a third of what the o-zones would have cost ... seems the local pros have caught on and are doing the same thing ...
    Last edited by dangermoney; 12-20-2015 at 02:48 PM.

User Info Menu

That's what I like about having a "practice" set of cymbals, drums & hardware. In fact, we also have a complete "practice" PA system, amps, mics, cords, etc.. Now, all are "gig" equipment stays packed up in cases on a set of shelving, ready to load for the next gig. We don't have to ever tear down or set up anything for band practice. We just walk in, flip the lights on, open a beer and start playing. I have a couple friends in other bands who use trailers to haul equipment. They leave the stuff all locked up in the trailer between gigs...just hook up and go. I would be afraid of someone stealing it all, unless you had a secure building to park the trailer in.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

I would be afraid of someone stealing it all, unless you had a secure building to park the trailer in.
    Not in Nebraska! Surely!!

j/k

all the best...

User Info Menu

Unfortunately, yes. Meth addicts are everywhere! They make their rounds through the countryside, breaking into farm buildings and stealing stuff. They even steal the wiring out of trailers, RV's and campers....just to sell the copper. They cut the catalytic converters off of cars at night, Lol. A nice covered trailer is like a piñata to a Meth head....they know there's goodies inside! It's not a huge problem, but it does happen from time to time.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

So, I've been on the prowl for some new hats lately. I've played a 13" K/Z dyno beat pair for probably the last 8 or so years, but I've been tempted to go the larger hi hat route that guys seem to be into today.

I've been thinking of buying 2 15" Wuhan crashes and using them as hats. A medium thin for the bottom, and a thin for the top. You guys think that would be a decent combo? I can get both for right at $100.