Page 55 of 61 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 1518

Thread: Yamaha Drums discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: Yamaha Drums discussion

Actually it is, this is the Yamaha section. The place where us Yamaha fans wander for news and deals.

User Info Menu

Speaking of that.

My private Birch Custom Absolute 12x8, 14x14, 16x16, 22x18 virgin.

Got this baby in last week. Yamaha #15 for me over 23 years. I was more looking for 14'' or 16'' depth kicks but when this popped up I fell in love and bought it immediately. It's almost dirty look is so compelling (for me at least). A true beauty.

The low end of the 18'' is bizarre. Its like my old 24'' oak, but easier to carry. Toms sound great too.

It has the black oil rubbed in on the inside which means its original finish was black.

It matches perfect with my 12x6 Lignum Drums stave snare too.

User Info Menu

Absolutely beautiful BCA kit!

I've been contemplating selling my BCA kit, I just can't get the sound out of it that I want. All my maple Yamahas are automatic, they sound amazing almost regardless of tuning. I've really been fighting the birch kit though.

User Info Menu

Super cool.

Question: Is that an additional air hole near the front edge on the bass drum?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I think I read once that Yamaha turned the vent holes into a science. IIRC, they calculate the proper size & number of vent holes and locate them according to the "golden ratio".
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Wow those are beautiful drums.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I think I read once that Yamaha turned the vent holes into a science. IIRC, they calculate the proper size & number of vent holes and locate them according to the "golden ratio".
    That sums it all up. Spot on.

Thanks guys. I love the soud so much even more then the stunning lugs.

What kind of sizes do you have and heads do you use Exotic Matter?

User Info Menu

Last edited by DanielS; 03-06-2017 at 08:34 AM.
    *Yamaha Recording Custom

User Info Menu

A couple of more pics

unnamed5.jpg
    unnamed3.jpg
    unnamed4.jpg
    Last edited by DanielS; 03-06-2017 at 08:35 AM.
    *Yamaha Recording Custom

User Info Menu

Really nice BCA kit Daniel. Looks a lot like mine, except mine is y2k red which is a brighter red laquer. Was that small tom cut down? Normally the badges are centered on the shell.

I've put a new set of pinstripes on my BCA kit, which it what all a lot of people used on the RC's back in the day so I thought it would be a good staring point. I normally tune pretty low and use 2 ply heads. I should probably try some thinner heads but I have some very old pinstripes on my MC kit and they sing for days with minimal tuning effort.

Musiq, is that a factory finish? I've only seen a handful of the absolute kits with the finished interiors and most of them have been black lacquer on the outside.
    Last edited by Exotic Matter; 03-06-2017 at 12:49 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Exotic Matter View Post
    Really nice BCA kit Daniel. Looks a lot like mine, except mine is y2k red which is a brighter red laquer. Was that small tom cut down? Normally the badges are centered on the shell.

I've put a new set of pinstripes on my BCA kit, which it what all a lot of people used on the RC's back in the day so I thought it would be a good staring point. I normally tune pretty low and use 2 ply heads. I should probably try some thinner heads but I have some very old pinstripes on my MC kit and they sing for days with minimal tuning effort.

Musiq, is that a factory finish? I've only seen a handful of the absolute kits with the finished interiors and most of them have been black lacquer on the outside.
    Sharp eye It was black indeed. The previous owner sanded it down. Smooth all around, yet left some black marks and it makes this kit look super rad (at least for me haha)

User Info Menu

Thanks a lot.
    Yeah the 12" tom in the last pic in my second post is cut down. I have moved the badges now as you can see in the last pic in my first post. It's the same tom.

Cool, I have been thinking about testing pinstripes. I used to use pinstripes on my recording kits I owned before. I have owned 3 recording kits before.
    Right now I have Evans Ec2 frosted on the toms but I'm not sure I really like them that much.
    How do you like the pinstripes on your BCA kit?

Best regards/Daniel
    *Yamaha Recording Custom

User Info Menu

Well, I haven't really found my stride with the BCA kit yet. I own 3 other Yamaha maple kits, MC, MCA, and MCAN and they seem to tune themselves and play wonderfully. The BCA is the first and only birch I've ever owned. The kit came with Evans G14 heads on it, that I didn't like. I swapped to the Pinstripes and still have not found my groove with this kit. I'm not an expert tuner but I have played for 25+ years. It may just be birch isn't for me, but I've also played RC kits that sound amazing so it may be user error on my part.

User Info Menu

Nice looking kit, DanielS.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Well, I haven't really found my stride with the BCA kit yet. I own 3 other Yamaha maple kits, MC, MCA, and MCAN and they seem to tune themselves and play wonderfully. The BCA is the first and only birch I've ever owned. The kit came with Evans G14 heads on it, that I didn't like. I swapped to the Pinstripes and still have not found my groove with this kit. I'm not an expert tuner but I have played for 25+ years. It may just be birch isn't for me, but I've also played RC kits that sound amazing so it may be user error on my part.
    I had some BCAN drums and they seemed to be very touchy with the tuning key. Meaning just a sleight turn in ea. lug made quite a difference in the sound. It took me a while to realize this. Once I started tuning with this in mind I got my sound a lot easier.

User Info Menu

Oh sorry to hear that. I love the sound of BCA. Also one of my bass drums is a MCA which I also love.
    Hope you find a setting you like with your BCA.
    Best regards/Daniel
    *Yamaha Recording Custom

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Nice looking kit, DanielS.
    Thanks a lot Bish:-)

Best regards/Daniel
    *Yamaha Recording Custom

User Info Menu

Yes I find BCA's to be a little more finicky in their tuning, compared to PHX, Maple or Oak... once you get them dialed in though they sound great and BCA's generally record really well...

User Info Menu

I've had my BCA's for over eight years now . As hard as I've tried they are starting to show wear and tear . As much as I play . But there is nothing that will replace these except maybe another set in the exact sizes . They are the darlings of all the halls we play where they have a sound man . All I can say is that the harder I hit these things the BIGGER they sound . And that's a good thing because most of the time they aren't micked .
    At this venue where the picture was taken the house kit is a DW Collectors Series in a Satin Black finish . But even the owner of the theater says he wants to replace that kit with mine !
    Antway..I LOVE my CBA's ! I also have a set of Pearl Maple Session Custom's that I love too but not as much as the CBA's .

20161230_162304-1.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jedi; 03-09-2017 at 05:16 PM.

User Info Menu

What kind of heads are you guys using on the BCA's? Jedi, it looks like you're either using coated ambassadors or emperors?

User Info Menu

What kind of heads are you guys using on the BCA's? Jedi, it looks like you're either using coated ambassadors or emperors?
    Yes..coated Emperors on top and coated Ambassadors on the bottom . Just my personal choice . I also use the Yamaha 13"x6" Musashi Oak snare drum and that's the only one that has a Evans head on it . I have to put a EC 1 Revers on it for that room to help tame it a bit . Otherwise I have the the REMO Controlled Sound X , it came with that head and it sounds great with it so I keep replacing it with the same thing .
    Musashi.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    I've had my BCA's for over eight years now . As hard as I've tried they are starting to show wear and tear . As much as I play . But there is nothing that will replace these except maybe another set in the exact sizes . They are the darlings of all the halls we play where they have a sound man . All I can say is that the harder I hit these things the BIGGER they sound . And that's a good thing because most of the time they aren't micked .
    At this venue where the picture was taken the house kit is a DW Collectors Series in a Satin Black finish . But even the owner of the theater says he wants to replace that kit with mine !
    Antway..I LOVE my CBA's ! I also have a set of Pearl Maple Session Custom's that I love too but not as much as the CBA's .

20161230_162304-1.jpg
    Beautiful kit. Yeah they are great sounding drums
    *Yamaha Recording Custom

User Info Menu

I have also been using coated ambs as reso and coated emps on top for some years. But I haven't tried it on my BCA yet. I wanted to try some new heads for a change so right now I have Evans ec2 frosted on top and the clear ambs that was on the kit when I got it.
    I don't really liked the Ec2 frosted that much. I don't get enough bottom as I hoped for. I'm considering trying coated G1 as reso and coated G2 on top. Or some Aquarian heads. Not sure yet. Maybe I'll go back to coated ambs/coated Emps again
    *Yamaha Recording Custom

User Info Menu

On my Birch Custom snare I just put on an Evans G12 head. Sounds good actually
    *Yamaha Recording Custom

User Info Menu

I had a BCAN kit and was using Supper 2 Aquarians on the 10 and 12, On the Fl. toms I had performance 2 heads.