Thread: New original song (60s/70s rock influenced)

User Info Menu

Default New original song (60s/70s rock influenced)

Hey guys, I wanted to share a new session video that I completed today. I was recently contacted for a classic rock 'n' roll session (I guess that's the best way to categorize it..? who cares, heh). I'm still in the midst of tracking for this session, but here's a video from it thus far. I think some of you will dig this. This type of music is extremely fun to play. I feel that the drum parts were appropriate, but feedback/critique is always appreciated. Thank you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLrgWxHXsb4

User Info Menu

Default Re: New original song (60s/70s rock influenced)

Toothpaste,
    Seriously, that was awesome! No criticism needed. Great work and thanks for posting it up here.

Tex

User Info Menu

Love it.. great playing
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

awesome playing
    Premier XPK Drums
    10, 12, 13, 14, 16 Suspended toms
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Tama Metalworks 6.5 x 14" Black Nickel snare
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

Nice job. Tastey accents in there without over powering the song.

User Info Menu

I agree with the above except to say my approach would have been to play the front half of the song with less embellishments and save those to create upward excitement as the song presses forward. Some of the transitions early on might have worked well with little or no fills, making the transitions on the back half stand out as a new element. You did change some of your accent voicing, using a splash instead of hats as an example, which falls along the same strategic process, but I wonder what the track would have felt like (we all agree the current track sounded good) if you gave your arrangement somewhere to go by starting off more reserved. Good song, BTW.

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone for the feedback! It's appreciated

xsabers, thanks for your comments. Very insightful, I must say! I agree with you on your take of how you might have approached the tune, and I'd imagine that it'd sound good (thinking of how your approach would play out). I guess with this song, I went big right away and at the end, while leaving the body of the tune in Jesse's hands, so to speak. Nonetheless, he was happy with the final drum takes so I was happy, heh. Again, thanks for watching!