Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Neil Peart

User Info Menu

Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    One thing I have noticed in recent years. Neil's drum solo's have become boring as hell. Ever since he started incorporating his e-kit into his solo they have gone down hill.
    I agree with you. I love NP as much as the next drummer, but the solo does kind of drag on. I gotta hand it to him though, it's spot on perfect everytime I've seen him play it. Saw Rush for the first time on the snakes and arrows tour a few years ago and he was great.

But...the were 2 guys sitting next to me and my friends who were OBSESSED...and I do mean OBSESSED with Peart. They had binoculars and were watching his every move...then they started air drumming to some of the songs, which wouldn't have been a big deal until they started invading my bass players personal bubble with every crash! lol My buddy was about to shove that guy's imaginary drum stick where the sun don't shine! haha They were pretty weird too, talking about how their moms were all worried about them going to a concert and didn't want them to be out all night...not a big deal, plenty of moms worry about their kids. But these guys looked like they were in their 40s Seriously, time to move out.

I have to respect the guy, he's a great drummer, one of the best imo...but I've never really been a HUGE fan of Rush, I think it's because of GL's voice.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

I picked up Neil's "Taking Center Stage" DVD. A must have for and Neil/Rush fan.
    This DVD sows you how to play some of the more difficult parts of some of the songs. It also shows every song from the Time Machine tour from the drum cam view. Very cool indeed.

There are a ton of drummers out there today that are just amazing monster players. But Neil will always be my favorite. I've learned so much from him.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    I picked up Neil's "Taking Center Stage" DVD. A must have for and Neil/Rush fan.
    This DVD sows you how to play some of the more difficult parts of some of the songs. It also shows every song from the Time Machine tour from the drum cam view. Very cool indeed.

There are a ton of drummers out there today that are just amazing monster players. But Neil will always be my favorite. I've learned so much from him.

ooooo! Me like! the earliest Neil Peart 'cover interview' I have is MD's Dec '89 issue. Not parting with that in a looooooong time, lol. Do you remember when Zildjian did a poster of him with his classic Tama kit in red (I think that was called 'Candy Apple Red' from what I recall), which also had the Simmons hexagonal drum pads behind him? The one with one main picture and three or four smaller panels, together with a diagram explaining his cymbal set-up? I still have that around.

"...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

For all us Rush fans...

User Info Menu

I love Neil's drumming even though his solos are not as good as they use to be going by what I have read in the beginning of this post. He has proven himself over the years whith his skills. I think is style of drumming is very hard to duplicate unless you are a realy good drummer. Neil rocks in my book.

User Info Menu

I've seen Rush twice. I was blown away both times. Words can't describe how I feel when I watch Neil drum in person. The only other drummer that invoked that special feeling inside was when I saw Buddy Rich play. It's a very short list.....

User Info Menu

Great drummer but not really a huge Rush fan myself. When I'm in the mood for difficult music, I go straight for jazz.

I have this cousin-in-law that played bass with Neil in a band in high school in St. Catharines, Ontario. Apparently he was a killer player even back then.

Rush played at our High school a couple of times in early 70's. I never had any idea that they would be such an internatioanal and enduring sucess. Canada was putting out a lot of one hit wonders in those days. Not long after that they started to play the hockey rink circuit. Them and April Wine came to town a few times. Great memories.

all the best...

User Info Menu

+1 to everything. Neil is a God.
    Specs

Drums: Gretsch Catalina Maple (Dark Cherry Burst) 8,10,12,14,16 toms 14 snare 22 bass
    Heads: Remo Pinstripes over Ambassadors on toms
    Bass: Stock Grestch stock reso and Evans EC2 batter
    Snare: Ambassador over Ambassador reso, PureSound Snares
    Cymbals: Zildjian A MasterSound HiHats 14"
    Sabian Xs20 Crashes 16"/18"
    Zildjian 20th Anniversary A Custom ride 21"
    Wuhan Splashes 8"/10"
    Wuhan China 16"

http://www.facebook.com/AWorkInProgressBand

^^^Like my band!!^^^

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Neil Peart

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Great drummer but not really a huge Rush fan myself. When I'm in the mood for difficult music, I go straight for jazz.

I have this cousin-in-law that played bass with Neil in a band in high school in St. Catharines, Ontario. Apparently he was a killer player even back then.

Rush played at our High school a couple of times in early 70's. I never had any idea that they would be such an internatioanal and enduring sucess. Canada was putting out a lot of one hit wonders in those days. Not long after that they started to play the hockey rink circuit. Them and April Wine came to town a few times. Great memories.

all the best...
    Then you must remember Gerry Mercer who drummed for April Wine for 30 years. He is another awesome drummer but was never recognized like Neil was. I met Gerry 2 years ago at a friends house in around Palmer Rapids and he is a great guy and he was talking about opening a drum school around the Kingston area.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Then you must remember Gerry Mercer who drummed for April Wine for 30 years. He is another awesome drummer but was never recognized like Neil was. I met Gerry 2 years ago at a friends house in around Palmer Rapids and he is a great guy and he was talking about opening a drum school around the Kingston area.
    Gerry Mercer, of course. Great drummer. I always liked April Wine a bit more than Rush. A little more rockin' I guess. In typical Canadian fashion, those guys always seemed more down to Earth. It was not uncommon to see them in the restaurant across from the Gardens after a show. I never did speak to Gerry personally, but he seemed like such a cool guy. He had the blue vista-lites in those days. Was like the coolest set I'd seen up to that point.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Gerry Mercer, of course. Great drummer. I always liked April Wine a bit more than Rush. A little more rockin' I guess. In typical Canadian fashion, those guys always seemed more down to Earth. It was not uncommon to see them in the restaurant across from the Gardens after a show. I never did speak to Gerry personally, but he seemed like such a cool guy. He had the blue vista-lites in those days. Was like the coolest set I'd seen up to that point.

all the best...
    One thing about Gerry that realy bothered me is when he mentioned the way Myles treated him as second class. When April Wine were inducted into the hall of fame Gerry was not invited that sort of hurt him in some way. If you happen to bump into Myles down in the Bahamas kick him in the you know what cause he deserves it.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 06-05-2012 at 08:16 AM.

User Info Menu

I didn't want to say much in this NP thread but agree with what you both (NPYYZ & RHD03) said. who watched the Letterman drum-off thing he did awhile ago? I tried but like said earlier when he went into the big band thing it kinda sucked. I don't know what it is or if it's anything at all but he seems to play so emotionless. Like Spock on drums. I don't expect to see a circus while one is playing thier drums but when there's nothing it kinda throws off a certain vibe.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I dont which ones exactly you're talking about but I had a video tape of Neil and others playing big band tunes. (a Buddy Rich tribute I think) Absolutey nailed the tunes, but I think there is more to it than just nailing them. The feel just wasn't there the same way a true jazz drummer would play them. I don't believe true jazz drummers could play prog either. There is just something about "swing" that's in the blood.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    I didn't want to say much in this NP thread but agree with what you both (NPYYZ & RHD03) said. who watched the Letterman drum-off thing he did awhile ago? I tried but like said earlier when he went into the big band thing it kinda sucked. I don't know what it is or if it's anything at all but he seems to play so emotionless. Like Spock on drums. I don't expect to see a circus while one is playing thier drums but when there's nothing it kinda throws off a certain vibe.
    He's the complete opposite of Nicko Mcbrain while drumming. It's not that he's emotionless, it's that he's extremely focused. He thrashed all of the other drummers in that competition, though
    Specifications of my drumset "Snoopy":
    -5 piece sound percussion set, black with black tape over all of the sound percussion logos.
    -Evans Drumheads, pearl bass drum pedal
    -Pearl M80 snare
    -Sabian Paragon 13 inch hi hats, 18 inch crash, and hopefully soon the 22 inch ride
    -Latin Percussion double sambago bells, toca tambourine sitting on my ride stand

User Info Menu

Neil Peart is one the greatest drummers around today. I read most of the threads about him sucking when playing the big band swing. If you as a drummer can play big band swing, jazz and rock like Neil can then you can criticise him. Neil was approached by the Buddy Rich band to perform as their drummer to the tribute of Buddy.Now if he wasn't that good I am sure they could of found someone else to play but no they wanted Neil so that shows that he can play drums.

User Info Menu

This is a short vid of Neil where he tells a few drummer jokes.

Q..What did a drummer get on his IQ test?

A..Drool.!

Top man.

Here is the vid

User Info Menu

Yeah this was shot on Rick Mercer Report show which is one of the best political satire show in Canada. Rick does interviews with all kinds of people on his show. Don't know how he got Neil to open up like that cause Neil is pretty private kind of guy. Love his gold hardware.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 10-06-2012 at 09:48 AM.

hobbes1 Guest

Big NP/Rush fan. Here's some semi-isolated drums from the man himself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc53dFbaMGw

User Info Menu

I can't stress enough how valuable Taking Center Stage is. Here's just a sample. Neil goes into detail about how he approaches drumming and explains parts from every song on the Time Machine tour. Also lots of excellent drum cam footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kILxZMfFBVY

User Info Menu

Definitely the biggest influence on my drumming. I remember the first time I heard Tom Sawyer thinking, I have got to learn how to play that song. I then proceeded to purchase every album they ever made.

Reference #376 Ultra Blue Fade Sparkle
    22x18, 10x8, 12x9, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5 Reference Snare
    14" A Custom Mastersound, 18" K Custom Dark, 16" K Custom Fast, 10" HHX Evolution, 19" Paragon, 20" K Custom

User Info Menu

Rush kicks ***,one of my alltime fav. Bands and i get to see them live next week!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by covanant View Post
    Rush kicks ***,one of my alltime fav. Bands and i get to see them live next week!!
    You lucky dog you. Feel sorry for us Aussie Rush fans.....unless we get the chance to go overseas for their concerts, like what one of my mates did years ago, we have next-to-no chance to see them live. Not in our country anyway.

User Info Menu

Neil can do it all. He is truly one of the great drummers in drum history.

User Info Menu

Can you believe this kid in my class was saying that he can't play drums that a baby could play so I took him down to band have him some sticks then promptly called him an idiot and he's worse than a baby
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

Peart's debut:
    Last edited by Olimpass; 04-06-2020 at 12:12 PM.