Thread: dw drum pedals

User Info Menu

Default dw drum pedals

if i decide to buy a SWDW double bass pedal which ones would you suggest to me, (never played double bass) dw 4000 or 9000? of course the 9000 is the better pick but take into consideration the money issue and my low experience with double bass too. thanks!

User Info Menu

I would suggest the 4000 between those two options - mainly because you don't want to be trying to figure out how to play DBL kick while at the same time having a pedal that has options and settings that go way over head, let alone your needs. So, yeah, if those are the ONLY options, then the 4000 - but there are hundreds fo pedals and brands out there that would be good to start on beyond the DW range - just follow the same rule as everything else - try before you buy - and try LOTS!!! Go to like every music store you can think of and sit and use every pedal they've got so you can feel what is comfortable - do you like Chain drive or direct drive? what sort of heads do you like or do want a dual or tri-beater head? Do you NEED a dual or tri-beater head? Start looking at all the things out there, from the length of the footboards to how many springs and how tight the psrings can go. When you start looking at top end ones, then you've got different bearing settings and all sorts of things to look at aswell.

So get out there, start trying them out and look at what you need right now, and go a little above that so as you improve, you wont feel like you are immediately outgrowing your pedal, but that you can stay with it for a while, without trying to cope with too much to begin with.

that's my advice since no one else was giving you any laf. hope it helps your decision
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Absolutely the 4000, that is what I play on and it feels great, super smooth, very fast and quiet, and no hassles like the 9000, the 4000 is a great pedal.

User Info Menu

those are the pedals i hear alot of, thats why i only gave you those 2 choises

User Info Menu

5000???

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lafirin View Post
    those are the pedals i hear alot of, thats why i only gave you those 2 choises
    DUDE!! Pearl eliminators, Axis, Iron Cobra's, Mapex Janus pedals - not as common, but very good mid level hardware - there are literally hundred's of options out there. Like MI pointed out, even the DW 5000 series.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger View Post
    DUDE!! Pearl eliminators, Axis, Iron Cobra's, Mapex Janus pedals - not as common, but very good mid level hardware - there are literally hundred's of options out there. Like MI pointed out, even the DW 5000 series.
    thats true, thanks for the ideas guys

User Info Menu

Hey Lafirin, Im looking at the Pearl Eliminators or Iron Cobras because of their good price tag for the quality. Just make sure the foot plate is long enough for those big feet of yours mate

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pdplayer View Post
    Absolutely the 4000, that is what I play on and it feels great, super smooth, very fast and quiet, and no hassles like the 9000, the 4000 is a great pedal.
    My 9000 is no hassle at all............ I love it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick View Post
    My 9000 is no hassle at all............ I love it!

I don't think that is what he meant - it's just that pedals like the 9000 have more settings and customisations than the lower end pedals - so when buying your first double pedal it's an idea to avoid ones like that becuase some people can get a bity over whelmed with it all. When your first starting you just need something that you can play - no need to go fiddling wiht every little nook and cranny to find that sweet spot becuase you probably wouldn't know when you found the sweet spot anyway.

However that being said DC - if you have one, and you do go the business of fiddling and setting up from the start - then no worries either. Once you've got it, then no need to worry anymore. It all depends on budgets, needs, wants practicality and what you wanna do and how you wanna do it.

Should always be considered a personal thing though. Nothing bugs me more than someone saying how crap they think this pedal is or that for whatever reason becuase I may find I love that pedal becuase it works for me. A prime example is the little disagreement that PDPlayer (formerly ddrumbum) had with HB58 over those Vex Pedals - PD thought they were good, at least as a starting pedal, but HB had had a bad experience. Same product with two different opinions because of different experiences and requirements.

So for me, that rule applies to everything - ask people what they think, especially if you find that they know more than you, but always go and see for yourself what you like - so that is essentially my advice to laf on this - go out there and see what's availabale, try as many as you can, THEN decide what YOU like.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger View Post
    I don't think that is what he meant - it's just that pedals like the 9000 have more settings and customisations than the lower end pedals - so when buying your first double pedal it's an idea to avoid ones like that becuase some people can get a bity over whelmed with it all. When your first starting you just need something that you can play - no need to go fiddling wiht every little nook and cranny to find that sweet spot becuase you probably wouldn't know when you found the sweet spot anyway.

However that being said DC - if you have one, and you do go the business of fiddling and setting up from the start - then no worries either. Once you've got it, then no need to worry anymore. It all depends on budgets, needs, wants practicality and what you wanna do and how you wanna do it.

Should always be considered a personal thing though. Nothing bugs me more than someone saying how crap they think this pedal is or that for whatever reason becuase I may find I love that pedal becuase it works for me. A prime example is the little disagreement that PDPlayer (formerly ddrumbum) had with HB58 over those Vex Pedals - PD thought they were good, at least as a starting pedal, but HB had had a bad experience. Same product with two different opinions because of different experiences and requirements.

So for me, that rule applies to everything - ask people what they think, especially if you find that they know more than you, but always go and see for yourself what you like - so that is essentially my advice to laf on this - go out there and see what's availabale, try as many as you can, THEN decide what YOU like.
    I must be missing something then; settings, overwhelmed????? It's just a pedal, a nice, smooth, kick-arse pedal. Maybe I don't have it set up right but I just attached it to my bass kick and off I went.......... I agree that you have to shop around but from the research I've done before I bought a pedal, the 9000 is one of the best out there, better then the 4000 (that's just my opinion, and my teachers, and many other drummers out there that, if they could afford it, would buy the 9000).

User Info Menu

Yeah im with DC. Sure there are lots of settings but if your a noob yall just leave them how they come. I think there better personally because if something is wrong that you dont like you can change it and better your playing without paying another few hundred to get one that works (A problem i have had before)
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Yea, pedals aren't that hard to adjust, even if you are new to it. Your just going to spend more money if you buy a cheap pedal at first then end up getting a nicer one later. Anyways I have an Iron Corba and it was my first pedal and I like it a lot. It's not hard to adjust something so it feels good to you. If you are new you can leave the settings just how they are out of the box and it should be fine until you think you want to change something. Anyways don't just get a pedal because everyone says its awesome go to a store and try them out. I had a lot of people tell me to get the dw 5000 or Pearl Eliminator but I liked the Iron Cobra better.