Thread: Acrylic Snare drums vs Hard Hitters

User Info Menu

Default Acrylic Snare drums vs Hard Hitters

So I'm a heavier hitter.. I also love rim shots. I found a snare drum that is just SCREAMING for me to own... it's an SJC Acrylic Amber snare drum with gold hardware. But I'm worried with it being acrylic (and I've never owned acrylic) that it wouldn't hold up to heavier playing.

Can anyone who's owned Acrylic snares/kits chime in on the durability and longevity of them? The specs say it's a 1/4" thick if I remember correctly. I wrote SJC but haven't seen a response yet.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Acrylic Snare drums vs Hard Hitters

You'll be fine! Get it and hit it like it owes you money.

User Info Menu

Do you bend Ahead sticks in one show? Tommy Lee does and he plays an arcylic snare.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Do you bend Ahead sticks in one show? Tommy Lee does and he plays an arcylic snare.
    is that for real?! That's insane

User Info Menu

I am a pretty heavy hitter as well, and I have an acrylic snare drum and have had no problems with it other than it being louder than my other snare drums. Unless you get one with a manufacturing defect , I seriously doubt you'd have any problems.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Ludwig centennial natural 11 piece
    Gp jungle natural 4 piece
    Yamaha dtxpress3
    Saluda cymbals
    zildjian a customs
    Sabian aax

User Info Menu

Over on another forum I used to frequent Tommy's tech was a member, showed us a pic of the sticks, it was crazy.

User Info Menu

No problem. You aren't intending to pound on the acrylic part are you?

all the best...

User Info Menu

It should hold up fine. It's probably a seemless RCI shell. They seem to be the go to acrylic shells for all of the custom assemblers these days. They tend to hold up far better than the old tabbed vistalite shells.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

I know a guy who just made a snare from a 14" PVC sewer pipe. I have not heard it yet, but he claims it is the best sounding drum he has ever heard. I take that with a grain of salt because he says that about every snare he has built, but interesting nonetheless
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by signia fan View Post
    I know a guy who just made a snare from a 14" PVC sewer pipe. I have not heard it yet, but he claims it is the best sounding drum he has ever heard. I take that with a grain of salt because he says that about every snare he has built, but interesting nonetheless
    I made some octobans out of PVC piping and they turned out pretty good! So I could imagine a snare drum

User Info Menu

It may be worth some research as far as what kind of shell is used, but I used to see those orange PigLite orange acrylic snare drums for sale pretty often on Craigslist and/or EvilBay. If they are basically the same shell, you might save quite a bit if you feel you may have to get a custom SJC made.