Thread: Suggestions wanted for new ride!

User Info Menu

Default Suggestions wanted for new ride!

Hi all,

I've grown out of my 20" A Custom Medium Ride and, as much as it's a good enough and versatile cymbal, I'm looking for something a bit more exotic and character.
    Ideally, something that can be used on an average function gig but has good wash, crash-able and good stick definition. The Meinl Vintage Pure rides are very tasty but looking to explore further.

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Suggestions wanted for new ride!

I would keep the A custom because at some point yur going to miss it, I have a 20" K medium and a 21" A sweet ride. Sweet ride has a little more ping, louder bell, and stick definition but the K has a nice shimmery wash and is great to crash on.

I played on a UFIP natural series 21" crash ride and man o man that thing is sweet. When funds dictate I will be getting one of those.

I also love the Paiste Stewart Copeland Blue Bell and have always wanted one but it is a lil too pricey for me.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    I would keep the A custom because at some point yur going to miss it, I have a 20" K medium and a 21" A sweet ride. Sweet ride has a little more ping, louder bell, and stick definition but the K has a nice shimmery wash and is great to crash on.

I played on a UFIP natural series 21" crash ride and man o man that thing is sweet. When funds dictate I will be getting one of those.

I also love the Paiste Stewart Copeland Blue Bell and have always wanted one but it is a lil too pricey for me.
    Thanks for your input. I really like the 20" K Custom Medium. Really torn between this cymbal and the Meinl Vintage range.

User Info Menu

Go for the Meinl if you want character. No comparison to Zildjian there for me (I know others will disagree). Meinl has tons of rides which fit your description so look at all the Byzance lines too. They are the most expressive and unique cymbals I have ever played and I can't see myself ever playing anything else again.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    Go for the Meinl if you want character. No comparison to Zildjian there for me (I know others will disagree). Meinl has tons of rides which fit your description so look at all the Byzance lines too. They are the most expressive and unique cymbals I have ever played and I can't see myself ever playing anything else again.
    Thanks for the reply. I almost certain I'll be buying a Vintage Byzance - they're just too sick to resist.

Cheers!

User Info Menu

I have a UFiP 21" Class Series ride. I'm pretty sure it could be put next to a Meinl any day of the week, possibly above a Meinl.

There was an auction for one not too long ago for a ridiculously low price, under $200!

Material/Method: Rotocasting, Handmade, Deep Hammered with Double Punch, Hand Polished
    Application: Rock, Hard Rock, Pop, Fusion, Funk, Acoustic, Jazz, Latin, World Music.
    Sound: Versatile sound range, powerful but controlled, glassy and brilliant with a wide dynamic range.
    Description: "Rotocasting" is what makes UFIP cymbals different from all the rest. While every other cymbal present on the market is the result of a process of rolling and subsequent pressing, UFIP professional lines cymbals are obtained through a procedure of centrifuge-casting. This process ensures in the first place the removal of all the impurities present in the alloy bronze, granting at the same time a greater thickness of the bell compared to those cymbals obtained by simple pressing. This allows for the best propagation of sound waves along the cymbal surface, ensuring an unmatched sound output. Fine examples of superior craftmanship in both structure and sound, UFIP Rotocast cymbals are made using only the finest B20 Bell Bronze. No other alloy offers such purity of sound or wide dynamic range. A UFIP cymbal is a truly unique instrument, uncomparable in today's modern market. From casting to tempering, hammering to finishing, every process is completed by hand, with machinery only ever used to support the skills of dedicated craftsmen, resulting in an instrument that is as individual as you.
    Last edited by slinky; 01-18-2016 at 10:56 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Was going to suggest a Zildjian Sweet Ride but I can't give you input on the crash ability. I don't crash my ride, I've never really liked the sound of crashing a ride no matter what crash it was.