Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: not so great drum solos

User Info Menu

Default not so great drum solos

Didn't know what to name this thread. Worst drum solos ever crossed my mind but the thread would probably get locked in no time.

I don't like this solo for a few things. Reminder.. Solo not the person doing the solo... Too many pads is one thing but at least trigger some good sounds. The snare sounds terrible and can't even hear the cymbals. Electronic nightmare. The solo starts at around the 3:00 mark

Bill Bruford
    Last edited by slinky; 02-26-2017 at 04:01 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Default Re: not so great drum solos

Great idea for a thread! I'll be posting here
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I like the solo. Love the sounds, creativity, the way he interacts in the beginning with the band, etc.

User Info Menu

Written to be a difficult counting exercise but people think it's a genius drum solo.

User Info Menu

omg that first solo was just noise.... lol painful

User Info Menu

Arrow Re: not so great drum solos

There's a Tommy Lee one i'd like to put in here but he swears uncontrollably during it. The Tacoma, WA. one
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I'd have to say the solo in Iron Butterfly's In a gadda da vida is one of the worst , most boring solo's I've ever heard.
    The Black Page above is more of a musical composition then a drum solo and Bozzio nor Bruford should not be anywhere near this thread.

User Info Menu

Almost all drum solo's are boring to me unless kept under bout 30 seconds.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    I'd have to say the solo in Iron Butterfly's In a gadda da vida is one of the worst , most boring solo's I've ever heard.
    The Black Page above is more of a musical composition then a drum solo and Bozzio nor Bruford should not be anywhere near this thread.
    I agree with you about everything here except the Iron Butterfly thing.
    It's like when you watch an old movie that is lame now but was so cool back then.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post

all the best...
    Yeah I agree, gets much more than 1 minute for me and I am out. I have never attempted a solo so maybe that has something to do with it. I need to work on one though as I keep getting asked to play one.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Yeah I agree, gets much more than 1 minute for me and I am out. I have never attempted a solo so maybe that has something to do with it. I need to work on one though as I keep getting asked to play one.
    Ya wanna see a bar empty out fast..........play a drum solo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    ha ha ha, NO WAY!!!
    I guess that would depend on the circumstance or who's playing. lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    ha ha ha, NO WAY!!!
    I guess that would depend on the circumstance or who's playing. lol
    Happens around these parts. I've seen some really good drummers do solo's and its the cue for people to go outside and smoke, hit the head, go to the bar and get drinks......or just plain zone out. People go to bars to dance and drink.....listening to drum solos is generally not on the agenda. The average person doesn't appreciate it anyway.

User Info Menu

that's the opposite from around here! Bars are just dying to hear something different.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post

all the best...
    Agreed. I've had to refuse a drum solo in a couple of bands. Anything beyond a 4-8 bar fill is just boring to me. And, honestly, most drummers I've seen around here really don't need to be playing that drum solo they're so proud of.

User Info Menu

BS

You have to be able to read the people, play to the people, and, have fun with the people. There are drummers out there that just lack the confidence to play a solo even though they could play 1 and keep the people interested, and there are drummers that really shouldn't play 1 because they turn it into some form of Wipe Out and bore the hell out of people.

If you can read the crowd and keep a solo visually interesting and short (or long), they aren't going to beat a path out of the club. I remember a couple that came over to our table after the 3rd set (that's where I would play a solo if I was going to play 1) and they were complimenting the band. The girl leaned on the table, got right in my face and said "I hate drums". I asked her, if that was the case, why was she at the very front of the people watching me and she said, "I wanted to see what you were going to do next".

So, play a solo, make sure you read the crowd to judge if it should be 30 seconds or 5 minutes, and, be confident in what you do. All the rest, people hate them, people will empty out the place, people will hit you with the 1st solid object they can find, is all BS put out there by drummers that can't, won't, or just aren't good enough to do 1.

User Info Menu

Happens around these parts. I've seen some really good drummers do solo's and its the cue for people to go outside and smoke, hit the head, go to the bar and get drinks......or just plain zone out. People go to bars to dance and drink.....listening to drum solos is generally not on the agenda. The average person doesn't appreciate it anyway.
    I agree with you and rick's point too. It kind of needs to be read from the crowd otherwise I wouldn't even attempt it.

User Info Menu

Radar Love kind of sucked.
    Just something about the drum solo that annoyed me.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post

User Info Menu

You could always hang upside down in a diaper. That seems to get people's attention, especially the people directly underneath.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    You could always hang upside down in a diaper. That seems to get people's attention, especially the people directly underneath.
    Ha! You go first!

User Info Menu

I can appreciate a drum solo if it's done of it's own accord. If it's within the context of a song, it usually drives me crazy. To me, it breaks that whole mental and emotional energy connection between a band and an audience that is established during a song. Drums are a non-melodic part of the song structure. A good guitar solo works around the melody and develops a theme. The drums, bass and other instruments can keep the song going and allow the soloist to move freely about the song. Having the drums engage in a solo (which breaks the established rythym pattern) is like having a tire go flat on the freeway. It's interesting in its own right, but the progress of motion is disrupted.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post
    I used to play that song in a cover band. I wouldn't really call that a drum solo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Ha! You go first!
    Tom, remember that I lived in Jersey and spent a lot of time in Manhattan, which is Ground 0 for pigeons. I stood under nothing that could possibly poop.

A guy in a diaper, upside down, would qualify.

User Info Menu

In defense of Bruford's solo here .
    Back when I was young and the whole electronic drum thing was taking off I bought the first Simmons V drum kit that came into town . I made money off of that thing by renting it out to the recording studios and the U of A for their big production shows and artistes that they had come through . Keep in mind that they were new and there was a lot of interest in them and being used a lot by recording artists and studios in LA .
    I was in a band and we did Thomas Dolby's "She Blinded Me With Science" which was done with the Simmons v drums . In the dance clubs it was a big hit . And when we started it there was always a big cheer and then at then end I had to do a "solo" on the Simmons pads . I kept it simple and stuck to the groove of the song but it there was always a big crowed on the dance floor clapping along to whatever I was playing . It was just that the electronic drums were new and for some reason people liked what they sounded like and were thrilled to see them in real life ... I guess . Personally I hated the dang things..the pads were hard and hurt my hands and everyone was pushing me to play them exclusively ! Once you found their limitations you were like ..Meh . Thankfully they were short lived . But there was some people who were fascinated by them .